Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:36 AM

19,255 posts, read 27,919,063 times

Advertisements

All right.
I have dumb question then.
Is he a thief or not? Did he commit and act that, anywhere in the world, is considered a crime to be punished? What does that have to do with him being American or Bantu? A thief is a thief. Is being American automatically grants immunity from persecution for a basic crime anywhere in the world?
And, BTW, he's lucky he didn't do same in say Malaysia, where law and punishment are much stricter, than in Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 07:50 AM

31,034 posts, read 19,620,981 times
I worked in Russia 15 years ago, there's no way I'd go there now.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:53 AM

26,418 posts, read 19,292,786 times
"... visiting girlfriend in Russia..."

Oh God, now THAT is bright. Did he throw in a few rounds of Russian roulette on the plane ride there, as well? I wish people would stop actually trying to win the Darwin Award.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:21 AM
exm

3,750 posts, read 1,816,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
All right.
Is he a thief or not? Did he commit and act that, anywhere in the world, is considered a crime to be punished? What does that have to do with him being American or Bantu? A thief is a thief. Is being American automatically grants immunity from persecution for a basic crime anywhere in the world?
And, BTW, he's lucky he didn't do same in say Malaysia, where law and punishment are much stricter, than in Russia.

You really believe a US Soldier in Russia would be so dumb to actually steal something? I mean, come on.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:25 AM

15,682 posts, read 9,345,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Russia continues to gather political pawns as they want to get their hardened criminals out. Eventually one day, this dirty Kremlin will be replaced. This active duty soldier will be held for 2 months before even able to do anything.

A Russian court confirmed Tuesday that a U.S. soldier would be held in custody for at least two months after he was arrested on theft charges.

Russia confirms U.S. soldier arrested on theft charges and will be held until July
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/r...tok-rcna150992

Mother of US soldier detained in Russia says he was visiting girlfriend before arrest
https://abcnews.go.com/International...y?id=109976395
We should stop negotiating to get these idiots back. I'm pretty sure everybody knows by now that we are in a proxy war with Russia, and if you travel there, you will have a difficult if not impossible time getting out.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:37 AM

102,447 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Going to Russia was a dumb ass thing to do.
Seriously! The State Dept. has had a no-go warning up since shortly after the war began. After that WSJ reporter was arrested, the writing was on the wall in bold letters. Any US citizens can get arrested on phony charges, just for "visiting while American". And who's the gf? A local girl who got booted out of S Korea, according to the article? What was her "profession" while living in S Korea? I haven't heard good things about young Russian woman in SE Asia and Korea.

Article says he hadn't gotten permission from higher-ups to go to Russia. (That would be a basic security requirement for military personnel.) It also said, incredibly, that he didn't have a visa for Russia. Well of course he didn't; why would they give him a visa? He just went on his own? On what airline? Korea's Asiana airline goes to Vlad and Khabarovsk in that southeastern region, but they would have suspended flights I assume, after sanctions were adopted. So...why would Aeroflot (or similar) have sold him a ticket if he didn't have a visa? Hmm, a friend told me yesterday that China has flights to Russia. We'll see.

The unanswered questions in this story make it look like a block of Swiss cheese. Hopefully, more info will be forthcoming.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-07-2024 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-07-2024, 08:47 AM

5,301 posts, read 5,290,454 times
I have no sympathy for Americans that get caught up in stuff like this...you know Russia is an enemy...why even risk going there...same w/ that American College Student that went to North Korea a few years ago, where he got caught doing something and then sent to a gulag and ultimately they killed him...while it was a heinous act by NK, that kid should have never gone there to begin with.

It makes no sense to travel to these evil countries.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:51 AM

102,447 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
All right.
What does Russia have that he would want to steal? lol Yeah, they've got some pretty advanced consumer goods a poor American boy just couldn't resist, nor afford to buy.

/s

Old 05-07-2024, 08:55 AM
Status: "Wasting time in the interwebz, just like you." (set 8 days ago)

1,426 posts, read 756,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Russia continues to gather political pawns as they want to get their hardened criminals out. Eventually one day, this dirty Kremlin will be replaced. This active duty soldier will be held for 2 months before even able to do anything.

A Russian court confirmed Tuesday that a U.S. soldier would be held in custody for at least two months after he was arrested on theft charges.

Russia confirms U.S. soldier arrested on theft charges and will be held until July
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/r...tok-rcna150992

Mother of US soldier detained in Russia says he was visiting girlfriend before arrest
https://abcnews.go.com/International...y?id=109976395
I would not be surprised if the Russian 'girlfriend' set it up like a honey pot sting.

I hate to say it, but this soldier is a dumbass.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:34 AM

19,910 posts, read 12,434,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's more to the story.

While any American can book a flight to Russia, most people are smart enough to not steal while they are there.

Assuming he wasn't authorized to be there, why on earth would he choose to steal?

I was stationed in Korea for a year, anyone on leave/pass from their Korea tour, traveling to another foreign country, was on their best behavior.
Modern arrogance?

Everyone seems to think they can do what they want these days and get away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies