Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 09:53 AM

39,503 posts, read 27,881,718 times

Advertisements

So sad. Hope he is OK and he should come home soon.

My dear brother was a Marine in th 90s, my uncle was a Marine, my fiance was a Marine, his mom and dad, all three brothers are veterans. I pretty much grew up with the Marines and I am a proud member of the military family.

I say this with all the love in my heart. A small percentage of the male service members have zero common sense when they are in " love ". a Marine spent his entire paycheck buying me a gift when I was in college. Lucky for him, I am not a gold digger, I gave him cash and told him he needed to save and invest. I know a Marine who is 40 and already a grandpa. Wth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 10:27 AM
Status: "Wasting time in the interwebz, just like you." (set 8 days ago)

1,426 posts, read 756,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's more to the story.

While any American can book a flight to Russia, most people are smart enough to not steal while they are there.

Assuming he wasn't authorized to be there, why on earth would he choose to steal?

I was stationed in Korea for a year, anyone on leave/pass from their Korea tour, traveling to another foreign country, was on their best behavior.
The Russians are claiming he stole something. Take that for what it is worth.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:40 AM

4,289 posts, read 2,617,318 times
Any American who visits Iran, Russia or NK is an idiot. The folks down the road emigrated from Russia in the 1990's; one of them would go every summer with their sons (born in the US) to visit the family. They are smart enough not to go back.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:57 AM

4,656 posts, read 3,866,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
All right.
I have dumb question then.
Is he a thief or not? Did he commit and act that, anywhere in the world, is considered a crime to be punished? What does that have to do with him being American or Bantu? A thief is a thief. Is being American automatically grants immunity from persecution for a basic crime anywhere in the world?
And, BTW, he's lucky he didn't do same in say Malaysia, where law and punishment are much stricter, than in Russia.

The dirty Russian government says that he stole. Are we all just going to believe that? Look at the Kremlin's track history of lying.

Also, being American automatically makes you a pawn since they've learned you can trade people for criminals. Russia clearly keeps and tacks on ridiculous sentences so they can use them as political pawns. Waiting 2 months before a hearing for "stealing?" 9 years labor camp for having cannabis?

Old 05-07-2024, 11:18 AM

26,418 posts, read 19,292,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
The dirty Russian government says that he stole. Are we all just going to believe that? Look at the Kremlin's track history of lying.

Also, being American automatically makes you a pawn since they've learned you can trade people for criminals. Russia clearly keeps and tacks on ridiculous sentences so they can use them as political pawns. Waiting 2 months before a hearing for "stealing?" 9 years labor camp for having cannabis?
And that is why an American should have common sense enough to stay out of that country.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:29 AM

7,171 posts, read 2,840,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
He had to have known the risks of traveling to a country we're at war with. Not sure I have much sympathy for anyone going to Russia at this point.
When did the United States go to war with Russia?

Old 05-07-2024, 11:30 AM

50,695 posts, read 47,553,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
When did the United States go to war with Russia?
It's been proxy since Sloppy Joe keeps sending our money to Ukraine.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:41 PM

43,840 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You really believe a US Soldier in Russia would be so dumb to actually steal something? I mean, come on.
Well now he did go to Russia to begin with....so where's the "smart" ?

Old 05-07-2024, 05:05 PM

5,799 posts, read 11,503,078 times
I am having trouble trying to figure out how this active duty US serviceman got a visa in advance, to enter Russian Federation. Any US citizen needs a whole bunch of documents in order to get that visa including a letter of invitation and filling out a very long form that includes questions about weather or not the applicant is a member of the US Armed Forces or an employee of any US government agency.

True, it is probably easy to buy a plane ticket from S. Korea to Vladivostok and it may even be possible to board the flight without showing the Russian visa stamped in your passport, but even that would surprise me. Every time I have flown to a country that required a special entrance visa, the airline has asked to see my passport with valid visa.

Maybe the Russian government granted the guy a visa just to help lure him into the country with his lady friend as "bait". If he did not have the Russian Federation visa in advance, they never would have let him past the Vladivostok airport immigration check point.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:18 PM

24,983 posts, read 9,722,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You really believe a US Soldier in Russia would be so dumb to actually steal something? I mean, come on.
Well we just had a soldier willingly cross into North Korea to avoid punishment in the US Army, so yeah.

Luckily, he was black and didn’t steal anything, so Kim Jong had no use for detaining him or using him in propaganda films.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies