Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

8,296 posts, read 3,530,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's a zillion sources for the story, I think it's real. Why would a news source just make it up? He was issued driver's license and SS card way back before you needed all the i.d., and when you get it renewed you don't need anything. He has been working, paying taxes and voting all this time. They only caught it when he applied for social security, and even then they didn't catch it before they approved him initially.

“You know you’re old when the old driver’s licenses were paper,” he chuckled as he showed us old driver’s licenses he had been issued in the U.S.
Klass said he was never questioned about his citizenship status – not when he got his Social Security card, Driver’s license, or voter registration card.
“I’ve been voting for over 40 years. I guess I’m in a lot of trouble,” he said with a sarcastic laugh.
Klass said his citizenship status was also never questioned when he applied for and was approved to serve as a Marine for the U.S. military (he didn’t end up serving due to getting a union job, he said). At one point in his life, he was even approved to work for the New Jersey State Police."
It's very weird.

Perhaps they were just looking for a reason to not give him social security benefits. He might be a citizen and they are messing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

533 posts, read 284,584 times
Sometimes dealing with a bureaucracy is messy. And sometimes they get it wrong.

I am a U.S. citizen but born in the U.K. My U.S. passport clearly shows that I am a U.S. citizen but born in the U.K. Some customs officials and some security clearance investigators have had a problem with that.

The fact that I have a U.S. passport and SS card, served 11 years active duty, had TS clearance with intelligence tickets, none of that matters to an "official" who does not understand.

The problem is usually that anyone who is not a "natural-born citizen" doesn't fit on the official's checklist. But at least in my case, whenever challenged I just patiently walked the official through the process, sometimes insisting that he/she go up the chain to someone who understands. Sometimes that took a while. Eventually ( hopefully ) they get it right.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

51,012 posts, read 36,707,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Sorry, not buying it. Again, I am from Florida. My mother, who was born in the US from legal immigrant parents (Italian and Polish) had to jump through hoops when she had to renew her driver's license back in 2004, and again just last year because they are now making it mandatory that all ID's and driver's license must be "real ID's." If my mother and I had to do this, as well as the rest of my Florida family, then so did he. He's either lying or the whole story is BS! Seriously, I don't know anyone who is a legal driver and still has a paper license. That stuff stopped back in the late 80's/early 90's. Again, he's either lying that he didn't know he wasn't a legal citizen, or the whole story is BS!

He doesn't still have a current paper license for goodness sakes, he still had his old ones. Why on earth would he lie? It's all verifiable.

Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM

4,174 posts, read 4,191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So, people have been talking about this one. Jimmy Klass, who was born in Canada to a Canadian mother and American father, came to the US when he was 2. Went to school, the military, had ID's and voted and had a social security card, but when he went to collect, he finds out he is not an American citizen.

How is this even possible?

https://youtu.be/GfaCQKusgGE?si=5J_F6CZNpipIQqyZ
How could he not be an american for having an american father?

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

30,342 posts, read 23,817,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
WARNING!

This might be a purposeful planted story to give credence to recent reports of the notion that if you do not realize you are illegal, you will not face repercussions for having illegally voted.
Maybe, maybe not, but you are a thinker, and we need a whole lot more of your type, less of the 'blindly accepting everything said' type.

It would not be the first time a story has been completely made up.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

24,725 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
If his parents didn't tell him how would he know. It's not like he was born with a "made in Canada" stamp on his butt.

It's quite easy for something like this to happen especially with older people. I still remember a time when children were allowed to travel without passports and there were times that I was able to come in and out of country using a baptism certificate.

Even official documents can contain wrong information that could potentially lead to problems. On my original birth certificate, they listed my fathers last two digits of his birth year as his age which would make him 14 years older than he was in an official document.
The stamp on the but is called birth certificate.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

37,508 posts, read 61,537,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Wonder if he's ever held a US passport?

I had to show my birth certificate to get a passport.
When I was stationed in Italy, I had co-workers who were US citizens living in Italy. They raised children and those children went to the US consulate office in Italy and they were given US passports.

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
How could he not be an american for having an american father?
A parent being a US citizens does not necessarily mean the parent can give US citizenhip to his/her child. Please go to uscis.gov for more details.

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was stationed in Italy, I had co-workers who were US citizens living in Italy. They raised children and those children went to the US consulate office in Italy and they were given US passports.
They filed "birth abroad". A simple and straight forward proceedure.
MIL decided that is too much fuss so SO went through an odd naturalization at 16. When I went through it that document was all everyone wanted to see. Hey, my party and he stole it!
Social Security told me I could not update my records to citizen as I have always been one. ???
There is nothing that is not possible when it comes to US immigration. It can be mind bogling.

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

10,555 posts, read 4,086,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He doesn't still have a current paper license for goodness sakes, he still had his old ones. Why on earth would he lie? It's all verifiable.
Maybe it's a BS story by the media to try and find loop holes for all of these illegals that are already here in the state of Florida. It is an election year after all. Maybe you believe everything the media tells you, but I certainly don't. I'm calling it now. It's a BS made up fake news story. There is no way he has a driver license now without the proper background checks. Real ID in Florida started in 2010.

And now there is another similar story, but this time in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkaB...28Australia%29

Last edited by warhorse78; Yesterday at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies