Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 3,406,017 times

Advertisements

Biden is in charge of nothing. He will do what they say, and they have a lot of leverage over him. I’m certain they have evidence that puts him dead to rights on numerous corrupt business dealings.

But so far, they seem content to keep Biden for now.

I think they are waiting to see if the needle moves after Trump is convicted in that sham of a trial in New York.

Then they will reassess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

13,660 posts, read 4,969,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Can he be replaced at the convention either by "force" or by pleading a decline in his health? Yes.

Can Newsome then be nominated? Yes. But that leaves Harris totally out, Constitutionally the President and Vice-President can't both be from the same state.

Would the above royally **** her off? Yes. Would she swallow hard and smile? Who knows?
I don't think that is correct. My understanding is that an elector can't vote for Pres and VP both from his state. So an elector from California can't vote for both Newsom and Harris. Electors from other states are free to vote for both. The same would be true if Trump picked DeSantis as his running mate.

Interestingly, this scenario could possibly end with a Republican President and Democrat VP, or vice-versa.

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

13,660 posts, read 4,969,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
How will it go down that Biden is forced to step down even if he wants to remain?
He won't be. Most Democrats wish we had a younger candidate, but at this late date Biden is the one with the best chance of beating Trump. Dems gotta "dance with the one that brung em".

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

11,310 posts, read 11,070,297 times
The Dems won't replace Biden before the election. They're going to ride this trainwreck all the way off the cliff.

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

11,759 posts, read 6,136,845 times
No, the Democratic Party cannot depose a sitting US president without invoking the 25th Amendment to the US Constitution.

Only the vice president and the president's cabinet can do that.

Nor can they choose his replacement. Kamala Harris automatically becomes president if they invoke the 25th Amendment.

Twenty-Fifth Amendment

Section 4:

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

https://constitution.congress.gov/br...ALDE_00001013/

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

11,759 posts, read 6,136,845 times
Can the Democratic Party remove him from the party primary process? That I don't know.

Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

7,528 posts, read 5,777,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Ohhhh to be a fly on the wall when all this went down. Then how will they resolve the issue of Kamala and Newsom both being from CA?

Will Biden freak out and lose this temper?

Just how upset will Kamala get? Will she shout out racism racism to Biden and Newsom? This could get really nasty. If Newsom stepped in in front of Kamala, this would form a resentment from Kamala unless the dems ($$$$$ for a made up position) offer her a very nice deal to step down?

As much as it would be fun to watch, I want Biden to stay in...please please please.
As we've seen with Joe, and already know, people in cognitive decline, and with severe dementia, cannot control their emotions. He will completely lose his ****. He is a perfect example for the 25th amendment. He should've never been allowed to take office.

Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

11,373 posts, read 16,754,753 times
With the Dems ignoring the situation with Biden, they've screwed themselves.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
Status: "I Choose Freedom Over Democracy!" (set 15 days ago)

1,354 posts, read 678,188 times
Dr. Jill will never step aside. I've ordered a popcorn machine.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 days ago)

35,722 posts, read 18,073,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
No, the Democratic Party cannot depose a sitting US president without invoking the 25th Amendment to the US Constitution.

Only the vice president and the president's cabinet can do that.

Nor can they choose his replacement. Kamala Harris automatically becomes president if they invoke the 25th Amendment.

Twenty-Fifth Amendment

Section 4:

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

https://constitution.congress.gov/br...ALDE_00001013/
I believe what's being discussed here, is whether the democrats, at their convention in August, could choose another candidate to run for president in November, not could they remove him from office.

And the answer to that question is yes.

But it also seems likely they'll choose an excellent vice president, so voting democrats can confidently vote that when Biden can't make it through the next presidential term, he will be replaced by someone acceptable to the voters. And Ms. Harris is not that person.

Last edited by ClaraC; Yesterday at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies