Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 05:18 PM

25,993 posts, read 18,984,305 times

Advertisements

Never insult the king unless you want the knights lancing you.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:31 PM

38,111 posts, read 22,253,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
article repeatedly credits the Daily Caller for digging this up, but it was actually the daily signal.
https://www.themainewire.com/2024/05...aring-depends/
Well, that's at least better than all the people on-line joking that Biden "poops his pants." At least the Depends guy didn't say he soiled himself, just his diaper.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,748 posts, read 18,101,092 times
Here's what caught the Secret Service attention:

What appears to have gotten the Secret Service’s attention? One of the man’s posts suggested, apparently jokingly, that he planned to “invade the White House and get pics of Biden in his ‘Depends,’” referring to a brand of adult diaper.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2024/05/...-biden-family/

I would like to read the post, to see how "apparently jokingly" it looked. Especially in the light of that nut breaking into Nancy Pelosi's house and cracking her husband over the skull. You can't really threaten a sitting president and be ignored. Additionally, he was investigated because he had an "unusual interest" in the Biden family. It would seem he made a lot more posts/calls/texts/whatever that indicated he was more focused on the Biden family than one not funny post on X.

Secondly, do we think a son of a sitting president would not have contact information for the Secret Service?

Old 05-10-2024, 06:47 PM

23,934 posts, read 12,753,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

What appears to have gotten the Secret Service’s attention? One of the man’s posts suggested, apparently jokingly, that he planned to “invade the White House and get pics of Biden in his ‘Depends,’” referring to a brand of adult diaper.

I would like to read the post, to see how "apparently jokingly" it looked. Especially in the light of that nut breaking into Nancy Pelosi's house and cracking her husband over the skull. You can't really threaten a sitting president and be ignored. Additionally, he was investigated because he had an "unusual interest" in the Biden family. It would seem he made a lot more posts/calls/texts/whatever that indicated he was more focused on the Biden family than one not funny post on X.

Secondly, do we think a son of a sitting president would not have contact information for the Secret Service?
That is not what your link says.

From your link:

The Secret Service didn’t identify actual threats to Biden or his family, instead predicating the case on what it called the man’s “unusual interest” in the family. This “unusual interest,” however, appeared to be comprised of nothing more than obvious jokes that were critical of Biden.

Zero comments by the Twitter user suggested a serious intent to engage in violence, according to the Secret Service documents released to the Oversight Project.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
That is not what your link says.

From your link:

The Secret Service didn’t identify actual threats to Biden or his family, instead predicating the case on what it called the man’s “unusual interest” in the family. This “unusual interest,” however, appeared to be comprised of nothing more than obvious jokes that were critical of Biden.

Zero comments by the Twitter user suggested a serious intent to engage in violence, according to the Secret Service documents released to the Oversight Project.
Speaking only for myself, I'm glad the Secret Service is keeping an eye on people who post hateful/derisive comments about sitting presidents.

And I'm guessing they had more than this media article knows they had. Regardless of whether the investigators
"identified" those pieces of info to the media source.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:09 PM

38,111 posts, read 22,253,980 times
Quote:

Good grief.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Good grief.
What you don't know, it seems, is that they are keeping tabs on a LOT OF PEOPLE. Fingers on the pulse.

Obviously with this one guy, nothing came of their investigation.

They probably found some guy in his underwear in his mother's basement, with no transportation, so, no threat. Or similar circumstances.

But they're doing their jobs, looking for threats. Thankfully. The stuff they see, and check out, that no one else is aware of is going on behind the scenes, is what is keeping us safe.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:51 PM

23,934 posts, read 12,753,648 times
Quote:
Speaking only for myself, I'm glad the Secret Service is keeping an eye on people who post hateful/derisive comments about sitting presidents.

And I'm guessing they had more than this media article knows they had. Regardless of whether the investigators
"identified" those pieces of info to the media source.
The heck with the constitution, eh?

Would you have said the same if, while president, Trump had had you "formally" investigated for the things you'd said about him while he was president even if they knew that what you'd said was not a threat to Trump? No, you wouldn't have just rolled over and took it while making excuses for it.

Also from your link:

The Secret Service opened a formal investigation of a Maine man whose social media posts showed “unusual interest” in President Joe Biden’s family, although he apparently didn’t make a serious threat of violence, according to the agency’s response to requests filed under the Freedom of Information Act by The Heritage Foundation’s Oversight Project.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:01 PM

8,303 posts, read 3,537,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Wait,..

so this agent, who works for the Secret Service, was tasked to investigate a civilian on X for making, not threats, but diaper jokes?

And this Agent is also a friend of the Bidens?

Is that ok to use government services for some personal internet stalking?
Government has been doing that to people for many years.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
The heck with the constitution, eh?

Would you have said the same if, while president, Trump had had you "formally" investigated for the things you'd said about him while he was president even if they knew that what you'd said was not a threat to Trump? No, you wouldn't have just rolled over and took it while making excuses for it.

Also from your link:

The Secret Service opened a formal investigation of a Maine man whose social media posts showed “unusual interest” in President Joe Biden’s family, although he apparently didn’t make a serious threat of violence, according to the agency’s response to requests filed under the Freedom of Information Act by The Heritage Foundation’s Oversight Project.
The constitution doesn't protect anyone from being investigated, so there's that.

And no, the Feds wouldn't have possibly investigated me for what I've said negative about Trump online. Because otherwise, I'm not doing other weird things or raising any red flags except to say I hope he doesn't get elected again and he's a liar who incited the 1/6 riots.

That's not enough to instigate an investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.