Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 08:03 AM

24,601 posts, read 17,350,035 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the Left will scream that Virginia is bringing Racism back to the classroom but I'd say half the kids have no idea who Robert E Lee was. Maybe this time around they will learn not to be oppressed by a name but instead marvel at how far we have all come in so many ways from those dark days? It is our History and it should not be lost because a few are offended.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:48 AM

39,331 posts, read 27,714,397 times
What's next? you are going to remove the Confederate monuments too?

These are memorials to husbands, fathers, sons, and brothers who were killed far from home in unmarked graves. Many of these men and boys were fighting because they were drafted. The funds that purchase many of these memorials were raised by mothers, daughters, wives, and sisters of the fallen soldiers. They simply wanted something to represent their loved ones death, since they had no proper burial or gravesite. Some will say that these soldiers were fighting to keep blacks in slavery, which is a false narrative.

The country needed healing, that is why a lot of confederate officers were never convicted of treason.

Me personally, as a girl born in 1985, don't have the right to judge people in 1860. A friend said there was graffiti on Confederate soldiers graves. This is not right.

I completely understand why black Americans are offended by Confederate names, flags, and statues, I am not here to judge or offend them. But many white men died during that war too. Enough is enough. sheesh

Old 05-11-2024, 08:56 AM

6,088 posts, read 3,805,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The southern folks are our brothers. The reconciliation is the main outcome that must be promoted, NOT CRUSHED AND ERASED. The policy to obliterate our history is intended to divide our country...nothing else.

No one other than a few profiteering activists are offended by the stars and bars and the confederate monuments. Michele Obama siad in 2008, 'We must rewrite our history.." exact same strategy the taliban uses, destroy the history and culture.

Other countries hold grudges today for infractions committed generations ago.

Your grandfather 900 times removed stole my grandfather's goat so I must kill you... not who we are!

You did not include joe biden in your list of traitors to the USA. Why not???? Biden did more damage than both those men combined.
EXCELLENT! Some people just need to get over being "butt hurt" over the name of a school, or a building, or a mascot, or whatever. Those who CAN'T get over it are still fighting a d@mn war that ended over 150 years ago. Time to let it go, folks. Grow up. Move ahead. Don't live in the past.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:45 AM

8,380 posts, read 2,993,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm sure the Left will scream that Virginia is bringing Racism back to the classroom but I'd say half the kids have no idea who Robert E Lee was. Maybe this time around they will learn not to be oppressed by a name but instead marvel at how far we have all come in so many ways from those dark days? It is our History and it should not be lost because a few are offended.
Well said. And ironic how those referring to the confederacy as “traitors” voted for and still support the current treasonous and highly destructive admin.

No hypocrisy there.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:52 AM

45,290 posts, read 26,541,776 times
It’s okay for movements like BLM to go out and actively destroy things in the name of their culture, but heaven forbid some white people in a locality celebrate their history non-violently with flags, statues and building names.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:57 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,229,448 times
I'm reminded of the old "Dukes Of Hazard" car called the General Lee. It had a Confederate flag emblem on the roof. When the series was originally broadcasted in the late 1970's, it was a non-issue - nobody cared. Nowadays it seems to leave many people emotionally shattered.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:58 AM

15,554 posts, read 10,549,254 times
Their district, their names. I could care less.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:06 AM

73,141 posts, read 62,811,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Their district, their names. I could care less.
Well, I won't ever live in Shenandoah County, VA. If that's what they are going to do, I don't ever want to live there.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:18 AM

6,088 posts, read 3,805,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I won't ever live in Shenandoah County, VA. If that's what they are going to do, I don't ever want to live there.
That's your choice. It's a free country... except for those like you who want to impose their beliefs and values on other people.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:02 AM

39,331 posts, read 27,714,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I feel that Confederate memorials installed during and soon after the war to honor the fallen are deserving of respect and honor, in the spirit of reconciliation.

On the other hand, memorials to Confederate politicians and senior officers which were installed decades later (many during the first two decades of the 20th century - an especially dark time for US race relations) - I don't respect these. Ask yourself why these were installed in the first place - what are they supposed to commemorate?

When it comes to naming, I'm not too enthusiastic about renaming but once it's been done reverting to the previous name is just a waste. It's time to move forward, not back.
I think last year (don't remember the exact date), the Army National Military Cemeteries, completed the Section 106 process as part of the federally mandated removal of the Confederate Memorial at Arlington National Cemetary.

Any sane people would say this has gone too far. My goodness. This certainly is not moving forward.

The sad reality is that this country is still so divided. 75% hate, 25% obese, nothing will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies