Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 11:05 AM

8,303 posts, read 3,537,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Looks like the pendulum is swinging back the other way...

"A Virginia school board voted Friday to restore the names of Confederate military leaders to a high school and an elementary school, four years after the names were removed amid nationwide protests calling for a reckoning over racial injustice.

In a reversal experts believe was the first of its kind, Shenandoah County’s school board voted 5-1 to rename Mountain View High School as Stonewall Jackson High School and Honey Run Elementary as Ashby Lee Elementary."

https://apnews.com/article/virginia-...1f545c1482b9ff
Good! They shouldn't have removed them in the first place.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:20 AM

14,024 posts, read 5,668,544 times
When I was a kid, I lived in a town that had both Union and Confederate street names. In fact, my elementary school was named after a Union officer, and the school's address had a Confederate street name.

Just checked the map 48 years later, and both the school and the street have been renamed. The street was Stonewall Jackson Ave, and is now Stonewall Ave, which is lulz to me. They left Grant as Grant, and Beauregard as Beauregard, and Lee as Lee, but dropped the Jackson off of Stonewall Jackson. That is funny to me, given who Beauregard and Lee were.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:32 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,229,448 times
Different eras have different takes on the topic. In World War II, the light cruiser USS Columbia (CL-56) flew a Confederate Navy ensign as a battle flag throughout her service in the Pacific.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:59 PM

1,369 posts, read 481,944 times
Good for the school board if that's what they want to do. I don't see how having institutions named after Confederate leaders or officers is any worse than naming builds/parks/organisations after Liliʻuokalani, Pedro Albizu Campos, the Seminole, or the freaking Comanche of all people. If you're going to demand that places named after Confederate figureheads are taken down, then you damn well better be consistent and demand the renaming of things from the aforementioned people/tribes cited because they all historically opposed America in some form or another.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:17 PM

73,141 posts, read 62,811,767 times
When a school district actively names schools after Confederate generals, that says something about that community's values. Are the values of that community the same as mine? Are they just neutral values? Or are they values that are oppose to mine, and insulting towards me? That is still something I have to think about.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:46 PM

51,671 posts, read 25,923,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Sure, I can respect that I can tell this is a very emotional subject for you. Like I said earlier, I am not here to judge or offend you.

This said, I just feel the "progressive" type will never stop at just removing the confederate flag at government buildings, for example,

Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin agreed to implement the suggestion, and Arlington National Cemetery made plans for removing and relocating the Confederate Memorial by the start of 2024 at the latest. The monument was removed on December 20, 2023 and is planned to be relocated to New Market Battlefield State Historical Park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confed...External_links

This in my opinion, has gone too far. Don't they know that, Robert E. Lee’s Home Became Arlington National Cemetery?!

The judge Rossie David Alston Jr ruled to allow the removal of the Confederate memorial at Arlington National Cemetery. I think insult someone's dead, and you make an enemy for life.

I think the memorial at Arlington national cemetery was conceived as, and remains a reconciliation memorial. Not a confederate memorial. What has changed is that stupid people (not you) have somehow managed to become even stupider and have lost all sense of what this memorial means.

I want to point out that whenever the monument at Arlington was erected in 1914, whenever thousands of people with living memories of the Civil War, most especially union army veterans, literally scarred by the war were still alive, they did not seem to have a problem with it. The people that seem to have the biggest problem with Confederate monuments are folks that live 160 years after the event and most likely cannot even name 3 Civil War battles.

Reconciliation really hasn't worked all that well. It's continues to be a huge mess.

The Jan. 6 crowd were waving Confederate flags.

And now we have two more schools named after traitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.