Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

19,950 posts, read 18,231,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Again, it isn't exactly comparing the same two things. How families afford homes in China is much different than how we as individuals go and purchase them. Also, people can't own property there, all property is state owned, according to this article.

Another way that Chinese home buyers are able to afford their down payments is via the country’s Housing Provident Fund. This fund began when the country started privatizing urban housing as way to help residents afford to buy their homes. Part of this fund included a government initiated savings plan where employees are given the option to invest a portion of their monthly earnings and have it matched by their employer to assist them with buying a house.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshe...h=5891c3b0a3ce

Food insecurity in the US ? Lol, I'll take that with a grain of salt, please. Over 40% of Americans are obese, so I find lack of food to be a stretch. Access and affording healthy food, now that I will believe.
China has it's issues with food security as well, 150 million malnourish individuals is nothing to sneeze at.

https://www.tfah.org/report-details/...-obesity-2023/

Leisure is unaffordable in the US ? Again, laughable. What, the $100k SUV isn't running, so they can't go through the Starbucks drive through to get their $10 carmel crappuccino on the way to the hot goat yoga studio ?
To quote a song "Born in a diamond mine It's all around you, but you can't see it"
Being born in this country is like winning the lottery, even our poor have a better life than the majority of people in other countries.
Leisure is what one makes it. So there is no way to put a cost on it.

Now, I do agree. Things are definitely skyrocketing out of control. I feel bad for many of those starting out. The struggle for a well paying job, home ownership, children, etc. is definitely getting harder to attain. Like someone upthread said though, a reboot is coming. If so, maybe that will stabilize things.
Who knows. The problems our country is facing is not ours alone, and many other will be facing them eventually as well.

I get it, you seem like a China sympathizer, and or supporter. I will never be, and will always see them as an economic enemy.

I'll circle back and read your post later but I'd add a bit you may have missed. In China it's very common for people live in little more than huts, many millions more in corporate housing owned by their employer and also for very large extended families to live together. So US v. China home ownership numbers mean almost nothing.

The other guy has gone full clown car on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Status: "Wasting time in the internet. Just like you." (set 1 day ago)

1,229 posts, read 636,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Except that $31k accounts for tariffs and import costs. It's under $14k in local markets.
We don't have an ICE car that sells anywhere near that. I think there's only 1 car left that sells for under $20k in the US.
Who cares what it costs in China? Its 31K USD here, and we can get a decent domestic built, domestic designed ICE car here for less.

You are the one pitching low end, poor build quality, poor range Chinese EV cars here in America.

If an American is so lost from drinking the EV koolaid they simply must have a crappy Chinese EV here, that is on them.

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

10,579 posts, read 7,111,037 times
The Chinese are building EV factories in Mexico to import their cars into the US. They are building right now.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

29,667 posts, read 14,776,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'll circle back and read your post later but I'd add a bit you may have missed. In China it's very common for people live in little more than huts, many millions more in corporate housing owned by their employer and also for very large extended families to live together. So US v. China home ownership numbers mean almost nothing.

The other guy has gone full clown car on this topic.
Fair enough, and I agree.

My goofy cousin, ended up marrying a woman from China. She, along with her siblings lived in an apartment with their mom (there dad passed, I believe). Now he is upper middle class, maybe a bit higher, and his wife is definitely enjoying the western lifestyle.

They came to visit, along with my uncle and aunt and my wife and I took them all out to dinner. There was 7 of us and the bill was around $400, and she made a comment that things like that don't happen where she is from. If I remember correctly, her family is from a rural area.

Now funny thing, she's worked to get her mother here, and is working to get one of her brothers here. If things were so great there, and upward movement was easily attained, that wouldn't be happening.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

29,667 posts, read 14,776,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The Chinese are building EV factories in Mexico to import their cars into the US. They are building right now.
Of course they are. I wonder how those tariffs will work with NAFTA, or whatever the new name is. Free trade between MX and the US right ?

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 5,558,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Of course they are. I wonder how those tariffs will work with NAFTA, or whatever the new name is. Free trade between MX and the US right ?
I call it NAFTA 2.1. Easier to remember.

Trade agreements deal with where products are made, not the country of origin of the investors behind those products.

Every country the world can decide who they will allow to invest in their economy. Canada, for example, in 2022 ordered three Chinese companies to divest from three junior Canadian lithium explorers. Canada was not breaking any WTO trade rules.

Here is a summary of the NAFTA 2.1 auto part rules: https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files...Auto_Parts.pdf
(Scroll to check marks at the bottom of the page)

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

43,405 posts, read 18,498,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Who cares what it costs in China? Its 31K USD here, and we can get a decent domestic built, domestic designed ICE car here for less.

You are the one pitching low end, poor build quality, poor range Chinese EV cars here in America.

If an American is so lost from drinking the EV koolaid they simply must have a crappy Chinese EV here, that is on them.
BYD tied with Tesla for the most EV's sold in 2023.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
BYD already stated that their EV trucks being build in Mexico will NOT be going to the US to be sold.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...co-2024-05-14/

Chinese automaker BYD unveiled the Shark, a mid-size hybrid-electric pickup truck, in Mexico on Tuesday, as its regional chief brushed off new U.S. tariff hikes on Chinese EVs, saying the company was not eyeing an entry to the U.S. market
The unveiling event in Mexico came hours after U.S. President Joe Biden announced steep tariff increases on an array of Chinese imports, citing unfair competitive practices. Duties on Chinese EVs were quadrupled to over 100%.

Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

FWIW BYD has been selling their hybrids/EV vehicles in Europe since 2021.

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

45,292 posts, read 26,549,700 times
Quote:
“Yet more proof that Trump doesn't care
about the farmers, workers, and
consumers that are being crushed by his
irresponsible tariff war with China. It's
easy to act tough when someone else is
feeling the pain” -Joe Biden 8/12/19
in Bidens defense, I’m sure he has no recollection of saying it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies