Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 08:55 PM

33,632 posts, read 37,288,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Except the Chinese EVs are selling like hotcakes around the world, and China has no plans to even come to the US...so....
BYD in Mexico. https://electrek.co/2023/09/22/byds-...north-america/

And Canada. https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...ant-in-canada/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 09:08 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,582,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Except the Chinese EVs are selling like hotcakes around the world, and China has no plans to even come to the US...so....
BYD in California:
Quote:
Over 750 unionized employees work together to build battery electric buses and motor coaches at BYD's 556,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Lancaster, California.
https://en.byd.com/bus

Old 05-18-2024, 10:54 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,350,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Chinese EV's sell for about $12K (USD)
The BYD Seagull starts at $9,700 for the model with the 190 mile range.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Seagull

Then, you're supposed to get $7,500 from the government for saving the planet.
The price could've been very affordable.

Old 05-18-2024, 11:28 PM

1,695 posts, read 904,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I think the tariffs are just an excuse to buy time. Naturally China can produce cheaper than the west and people would rather buy from them. China is destined to what happened to Germany and Japan.

Coal and cheap energy made the west great places to develop and live. That is why the rules need to keep changing, so others don't catch up. And so we have climate change and all the policies that come with it.

I am just wondering how long this will go on: attacking Chinese companies like Huawei, the car industries, etc. We know where it ends. A war the kind we have never seen before to destroy the competition and finally reconstruct in US terms. Of course we will never hear the truth, I can already see the propaganda. The fight is against an aggressive and evil state lead by the ccp, and it is our duty to stop them and show them our democratic values.
People keeping bringing up Japan as an example of the road that China is heading. This is just wishful thinking and trying to correlate things that have nothing in common. Japan biggest flaw was that its economy was pegged (and still is to large degree) to Western powers. So the moment Japan "got to big" it was cut down to size. See the Plaza accords.

You are right about a desire to defeat China, but I can't see a war happening (at least not a direct one). The Chinese military is capable of repelling any U.S. invasion. We can't use another country to attack them for us. Then there is the issue of Nukes.

Old 05-18-2024, 11:31 PM

1,695 posts, read 904,221 times
To me this move basically says "we don't know what else to do." This is what I feared with the U.S./China competition. We here in the U.S. are going to have to pay more or miss out. I guess the environment all of sudden doesn't matter. Meanwhile the rest of the world will have these really neat products that we can only look at and go wow.

Old 05-19-2024, 03:30 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,350,756 times
I checked newegg.

It seems all decent video cards have been sold out.

They are pretty expensive as is, and the prices will increase twofold now.

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

27,567 posts, read 13,778,428 times
There are ways around the tariffs, and the tariffs could end up hitting the US in the long term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOreJAyfUUU

Old Today, 05:47 AM

43,672 posts, read 18,720,883 times
One of the reasons BYD is so cheap- their assembly line is 97% automated
The UAW won major concessions to protect their manual jobs along with a 45% raise

People should not wonder why autos in the US cost so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies