Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

45,600 posts, read 60,912,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Of course. Because you are a critical thinker. I wish I could say that about other posters.

Possibly. My point was, that each party spends, spends, spends. And yes, the Dem's spend, spend, spend, spends..... And Spends.

Correct ^^. Let's not forget, the surge in oil prices (the Ukraine war) tossed a lot of fuel into the fire.

IMO, the Trump fanboy posts get old...
Oil prices had gone way up prior to Ukraine. Yes, it increased them more but within a year the prices were back down to pre-war levels.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...mp-2023-03-09/
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63855030
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

9,834 posts, read 11,242,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oil prices had gone way up prior to Ukraine. Yes, it increased them more but within a year the prices were back down to pre-war levels.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...mp-2023-03-09/
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63855030
Correct re: to your links.

But during this large bump in inflation, the spike in oil was a big catalyst for products to rise in price. Nearly everyone was raising prices because they had to and often because they could. Just look at those high profit margins. Next, workers were in high demand and saw prices go UP on what they bought. Plus, they observed their companies make a lot of $$. So they hopped jobs or went on strike. The FED claimed it was "transitory" which every single solitary business owner with a brain knew it wasn't transitory, and because of it, we are where we are.

Therefore as I said, the Ukraine spike in oil prices did add fuel to the fire (no pun intended.) Part shortages added fuel to the fire. The slowdown at the ports did too. What people bought and why changed the landscape of the economy. etc, etc, etc.

Now, did Biden's policy have something to do with inflation? OF COURSE they did! So did Trump, the FED's, other country spending sprees, etc. My point here is people who blame only our senile president who was busy trying to buy votes, need to think deeper. It's a culmination of problems. And the R's are also guilty. While we were arguing, BOTH sides of the government got in all of our wallets by way of eroding our net worth in real dollars. They extracted $$'s from us. For instance, I need another 35% more in retirement (the REAL inflationary impact) in 2024 versus 2019. They stole from us and people here are only blaming Biden.

I'm way o.k. with a lot of policies that Trump believes in. Closing the border (which he isn't a purist by any stretch of the imagination), having Europe pay more for their military, correcting Chinese market manipulations, etc. I love those policies and he could go further by shutting down a lot more government waste. I'm no fan of Biden. But he isn't the anti-Christ. AOC-type policies would be.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Funny thing about the profit margins, for most companies they stayed the same percentage wise. If a business had a profit margin of, say, 2% and revenues doubled but the margin stayed at 2% the company wasn't really ahead. It seemed so because of the big new number.

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

9,834 posts, read 11,242,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Funny thing about the profit margins, for most companies they stayed the same percentage wise. If a business had a profit margin of, say, 2% and revenues doubled but the margin stayed at 2% the company wasn't really ahead. It seemed so because of the big new number.
Profit margins for many were WAY up. read https://www.federalreserve.gov/econr...ncial%20Crisis. "The profit margin increased from 11.3% in 2020q1 to 19.2% in 2021q2" or https://fortune.com/2022/03/31/us-co...kes-inflation/

Hell, Subway's massive sandwich price hike == massive profits. Again, I'm not blaming them. Yes, their cost of goods sold went up. Yes, labor went up. But their margins jumped! I'm assuming margins are down now because everything settled and prices on nearly everything jumped.

In short, what happened was inflation enabled more inflation.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

3,885 posts, read 5,313,027 times
This is what politics has come down to lately, a race to the bottom and who can outlie the other guy.

Instead of focusing on Trump's policies that contributed to the inflation issues we face today and also his policies that he would implement if re-elected that will continue to **** us, he resorts to lying.

Not surprising of course, considering he doubled down on the same overspending, deficits and stimulus that Trump loved and poured gasoline on the inflation fire.

Moral of the story? Both these guys suck and have no ground to stand on when it comes to this issue.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Profit margins for many were WAY up. read https://www.federalreserve.gov/econr...ncial%20Crisis. "The profit margin increased from 11.3% in 2020q1 to 19.2% in 2021q2" or https://fortune.com/2022/03/31/us-co...kes-inflation/

Hell, Subway's massive sandwich price hike == massive profits. Again, I'm not blaming them. Yes, their cost of goods sold went up. Yes, labor went up. But their margins jumped! I'm assuming margins are down now because everything settled and prices on nearly everything jumped.

In short, what happened was inflation enabled more inflation.
What industries?

Apple? It's at around 30%.
Google made more in 2023 in actual dollars than Exxon:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier...h=1f42981d40b7

Old Today, 12:40 PM

19,958 posts, read 18,257,924 times
Quote:
Of course. Because you are a critical thinker. I wish I could say that about other posters.

Possibly. My point was, that each party spends, spends, spends. And yes, the Dem's spend, spend, spend, spends..... And Spends.

Correct ^^. Let's not forget, the surge in oil prices (the Ukraine war) tossed a lot of fuel into the fire.

I'm with you. The fanboy/talking points nonsense from both sides is tiresome, squelching reasonable conversation.

Old Today, 12:46 PM

38,316 posts, read 22,322,476 times
Quote:

Trump is a former Democrat, and he still has some of the views of the old school dems. Like GW Bush and all the dems, Trump is a fan of big government solutions, which naturally means spending big money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies