Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:25 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
In any case, the majority of the oil goes toward automobile travel. That is the problem that truly needs to be tackled. There are solutions for power plants in the medium and long terms with congressional cooperation.
Doubtful you'll find a renewable to power a big rig trailer we've leaned heavily upon for shipping, locomotive diesel, marine diesel, and as you mentioned in OP- people with oil heat mostly in new england. Some power plants use kero or #2 oil as plan a & b for generation, both derived from a bbl. Heavy industry uses #6 oil- not optional to switch at will, its a major undertaking with $$$ infrastructure involved.

check out frenchmans links re:shale in NE.
coal in wv is an active operation as we speak covering 50% electricity for USA from last rumor, but gasification plans (gas out of coal) are supposed to be coming down the pike soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I don't see coal electric comin ga bigger part at all;numerous coal fired electric plants were just canceled bcause they would ahve had to go to clean technology to be built and investirs pulled out becasue of expense to returns.Coal gasification is even futher behind and faces the same expense and technology. I see nuclear elctrictiy coming as thigns get worse but wwe are 25 years behind the europeans there. France produces 79% of their elctric nedds from it.Any effetive technology that can replace a large portion of our energy needs are decides off and will be as or more expensive in the near term.Those nuclear plants tht cost so muchin the ealry 70's will cost mega bucks now in comparison.With the democrats in power and the environmantal loby in the party;coal;nuclear and drilling will have even more difficulty how.They stooped nuclear in the 70's.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
I saw on the news that farmers are experiencing night-time thefts of their diesel gas [right out of their tractors]. Diesel has been over $5 for some time now & high octane gas is nearing $5 in California [regular close to $4.75]

The expense of gasoline is quickly hurting the markets & consumers are going to have to pay much higher prices for food this summer. What a bummer 2008 is becoming

Old 06-07-2008, 12:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
How long will the official economists, the Treasury Secretary, talking heads like Larry Kudlow and the like continue to say that these prices are not affecting Americans.

I would like to know that too especially when your monthly gasoline bill is now almost as much as a car payment!

Old 06-07-2008, 12:17 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I would like to know that too especially when your monthly gasoline bill is now almost as much as a car payment!
My gas bill exceeded my car payment a while ago -I'm paying about $60 to fill up now and have to fill up 4-5 times a month. Now I never let my tank get below the halfway mark - I know in the long run, I'm probably spending the same or even more but in my mind it feels better to put $25 in to fill it up from half than $60 to fill it up from empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I saw on the news that farmers are experiencing night-time thefts of their diesel gas [right out of their tractors]. Diesel has been over $5 for some time now & high octane gas is nearing $5 in California [regular close to $4.75]

The expense of gasoline is quickly hurting the markets & consumers are going to have to pay much higher prices for food this summer. What a bummer 2008 is becoming
Thats been happening here too - about 2 weeks ago they did a story about some kids stealing gas out of more than 50 cars in an apartment complex. They did it 3 times before they got caught.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What would save would be a return to life the way it was in the 40's or 50's. Back before people felt they had to cool their homes to 65 degrees in the summer and heat them up to 85 degrees in the winter. Stores closed by a certain time and were often closed the whole weekend or at least on Sunday.

People had weekends off work, they had time to sit on the porch, get to know their neighbors, take a walk in the evening. Back then everything someone bought was American-made, and instead of having to replace their things every 2-3 months, they would last almost a life time. It was the norm for a newly married couple to get wedding gifts like toasters and small appliances that they would still be using after the kids left home.
Those days are long gone.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:04 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Those days are long gone.
No they arent. Do some research. If we lived as they did 2 generations ago we could all relax & have non working moms.
Get rid od the cell phones & internet, keep just one car, open the windows & throw out the AC, cancel cable, cook at home & many other money saving things.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
No they arent. Do some research. If we lived as they did 2 generations ago we could all relax & have non working moms.
Get rid od the cell phones & internet, keep just one car, open the windows & throw out the AC, cancel cable, cook at home & many other money saving things.
Cell phones, Internet and cable are here to stay. Other than that, I agree the lifestyle you speak of is what we are going to have to go back to. Back in the '50s, the husband made all ends meet on his income alone, housewives didn't have to work. Today, a two-income family is requred just to make ends meet and sustain our standard of living. I think we would see a return of moral values in this country if we started raising our children again.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Tin Knocker you're making me laugh. Now I know you spend a fair amount of time posting on this forum how could you do that if you canceled your internet?

But seriously. Paying off the house and cars affords one quite a bit of freedom. I never met a debt that I let stay around as long as it was supposed to. My wife and I went on an accelerate our mortgage payoff kick. Feeling lazy about cooking dinner and thinking about grabbing some fast food? Nope throw the money in the can and get out the pan. At the end of the week take it to the bank and pay down the principle. It's amazing how fast it goes away!

My wife works part-time and I turn down offers to work more. You only get one life the last time I checked.

We cancelled all but the basic cable ($14 bucks versus $58). I hardly ever watch it anyway except for the morning weather report. I don't know about the cell phone. I'd probably rather cancel my landline but it is my high speed provider. Maybe if the wireless card gets cheaper and faster that will go too.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:43 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default Forget $4 per gallon. Here comes $5.

I kind of doubt that $5/gal will be common this summer. Since the price has approached $4/gal, there's been a noticeable drop-off in demand. What the oil giants are trying to do (as always) is find that point where the market will pay the maximum price without cutting demand so much that it causes profits to suffer. Since we're already seeing the market decline slightly, I think the price will rise a little further and then fluctuate around $4.25/ gal for most of the summer in most locations.

Of course, $5/gal could be the rule a year from now.

We'd all do well to economize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies