Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Wow, another self-proclaimed christian bashing gays thread.
Isn't this your second negative topic against others thread today?
Who would your god of love hate?
The OP didn't mention God or religion period while you immediately start bashing Christians. That proves what I've known all along, you hate Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:24 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
So right on!

"I want to be treated equally just like you. Now here, in case you didn't know, is why I am different and special."
I understand your point, but the alternative is to hide who you are in fear of rejection. Coming out and saying who you are is part of the coping and dealing mechanism which makes it possible to be in the same vein as everyone else.

Until the day comes when someone doesn't turn their head and look akwardly when they see a gay man who opens his mouth and "a purse pops out of it," it's going to be an issue.

As it goes, go a day in their shoes before you make comments like that (even though I understand what you're saying and don't entirely disagree)

Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
This term is becoming quite common and I don't know what it means. Other then what they do with and where they put their genitalia, gay people are just like any other American. There are liberal gays, there are conservative gays. There are masculine gay men that don't fit the stereotype, there are gay men that as soon as they open their mouth it sounds like a purse fell out of it. There are gays that support gay marriage, there are gays that are against it. Gay people are just like any other people yet for some reason a separate category has been created based only on sexual proclivities. Where does it end? Will we have "Missionary Position Americans", or "Foot Fetish Americans"?
I guess that the strawman argument on why we need a subgroup called Gay Americans is because gays can't marry. Well, they now can in Mass and California and it will be many more states very soon. Thanks for your time.
Well, it sure would make it easier for some people to choose their mates if that was the case......lol

Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I understand your point, but the alternative is to hide who you are in fear of rejection. Coming out and saying who you are is part of the coping and dealing mechanism which makes it possible to be in the same vein as everyone else.

Until the day comes when someone doesn't turn their head and look akwardly when they see a gay man who opens his mouth and "a purse pops out of it," it's going to be an issue.

As it goes, go a day in their shoes before you make comments like that (even though I understand what you're saying and don't entirely disagree)
This is so unrealistic. You're asking for unconditional equality and that's absurd. People will always look oddly @ other people who's behavior is outside societal norms. My point is other then what you do with and who you do with your genitalia is the only thing that separates gays from straights. In other words, you're not as important as you think you are. I don't mean that in a pejorative way, btw.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:43 PM

413 posts, read 782,586 times
A Gay-American is an attention seeker that happens to be gay.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
This is so unrealistic. You're asking for unconditional equality and that's absurd. People will always look oddly @ other people who's behavior is outside societal norms. My point is other then what you do with and who you do with your genitalia is the only thing that separates gays from straights. In other words, you're not as important as you think you are. I don't mean that in a pejorative way, btw.
What makes societal norms? I think homosexuality is prominent enough that it isn't necessarily a societal abnormality, whether or not it is a genetic one is a completely different question.

Are black people societal abnormalities? I guess the majority whites should look in profane manners at African-Americans because of the color of their skin -- it is afterall, quite different from my own.

You're completely off base.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times
Quote:
That's so true. The norms are set by each community as well...if I showed up in some small evangelical town they'd all look at me and my tattoos strangely. Maybe I'm a "tattooed-American"? Perhaps I should fight against discrimination...I should be able to proudly display all my tattoos wherever I go because this is who I am!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:13 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
What makes societal norms? I think homosexuality is prominent enough that it isn't necessarily a societal abnormality, whether or not it is a genetic one is a completely different question.

Are black people societal abnormalities? I guess the majority whites should look in profane manners at African-Americans because of the color of their skin -- it is afterall, quite different from my own.

You're completely off base.
You misunderstood me. I was specifically talking about a man who talked, "like a purse just fell out of his mouth" as a societal abnormality, not being gay, in and of itself although only about 4% of the general population is homosexual. Like it or not there are masculine and feminine traits and when a man acts more feminine then most women, they will get looks. Again, the only thing that differentiates you and I is what we do with and where we put our genitalia. The term "Gay-American" is absurd.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Quote:

Look, I have nothing against gay people. I personally find homosexuality as being completely undesirable, but what people do in the privacy of their own homes is none of my business and I judge people based on how they carry themselves.

What you are asking is unrealistic. I will always find homosexual acts as being repugnant, and that is my right. I do not let this interfere with how I deal with others on a one to one level.

Like I said, what two people do in their own homes is none of my business. And it should remain none of my business. Just like I don't tell people who aren't my friends about my private life, I don't want to hear about theirs.
With friends it's a different story though. But then your friends are going to be people who have similar views and interests anyway, so there is no issue there.

I have known gay people who are just like everyone else and there never was an issue because they weren't constantly shouting "look at me, I'm different". I have also known gay people who define their entire lives by their sexual orientation and who could not go a day without talking about their sex life, or meet a new person without stating their orientation in the first 2 minutes.

The way I see it, people who make it a point to go out of their way to let everyone know how they spend their personal time is only interested in getting attention, and I don't particularly care for people like that based on general principle, and because it is extremely annoying.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:01 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:

Dude, if youre gay youre gay, nobody cares really but it will always illicit a response from some people. Especially when every day they read about same sex marriages & other rubbish like that. People shouldn't be ashamed of being gay, if they are, thats a personal thing, but they shouldn't expect the rest of society to turn the world upside down so that being gay is normal. Its not. They breed their own resentment because they arent happy with the reality that they arent normal.
Me, I have zero trouble with it in & of itself.
Theres many worse things out there, people need to get over themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies