Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times

Advertisements

I have now lost complete faith in our president. His statements the other day that the rebate checks are starting to stimulate our economy is insulting to the majority of Americans who watch the daily price increases in gasoline, heating oil, and food quickly eroding anything they possibly gained since President Bush took office nearly eight years ago. Add to that the pummeling that Americans have experienced in their 401k, 403b, personal stock accounts, Certificate of Deposits, personal savings, the housing and financial crisis, and the severe reduction in the value of what their dollar buys and the president's comments are down right insensitive.

Instead of sitting around talking about how resilient we are in handling the higher prices, how great it is that the inflation rate hasn't transferred to higher wages (you know to actually be able to keep up with the real rapidly-rising costs of food, energy, education, and health care), and how we are setting the example of free world markets (as our prosperity freely moves out of the country and is reallocated in the Middle East and Asia), OPEN YOUR EYES AND DO SOMETHING FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, the ones that elected you and the others to make decisions in the best interest of AMERICANS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Lincolnian- the republican plan: never give a sucker an even break. I've got mine, don't care what your problem is. The only legislature neccessary in govt is how to facilitate commerce or religion better.

This mentality since reagan makes me believe more and more that they are trying their best to erase all progressive work of 100 yrs, encourage self sufficiency for some/economic desperation for others, bankrupt social security, social darwinism protects the haves, keep the have nots chasing after crumbs or die trying in traditional employment setups.
I'm also seeing that russia obsolving itself of international debt wholesale is looking very enticing to them as cure for our own national debt, so live it up while you can mentality makes sense in that context. Lots of behavior from repubs past 10 yrs make sense in that context. Fiscal insanity is not their motto traditionally.

Bush approval rating: chenney, sonrise, pghquest and fleet. anybody else love the guy? lol

Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Default They hate us for our freedom

If Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity hadn’t acted as ministers of propaganda for the Bush administration I doubt he even would have been reelected in 2004. Now that the average American is paying the price for failed policy it’s all becoming quite clear. Guess we now know how the German people felt after the fall of the Nazi party.

Oh, BTW, I’m a registered Republican that voted against Bush and Chaney in ’04 because I could see the consequences of their actions. Probably helped that I lived in Washington, DC at the time and I knew the money that people were being paid to suppress or distort the truth. Would you believe that the government workers, both with security clearances, which purchased my suburban Maryland home in mid 2003 had a bring-home salary of 16 thousand a month?! That’s right- after taxes!

Last edited by Grizzmeister; 06-08-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 12:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
The president can't single handedly control the economy. People in general brought it on themselves through their foolishness, over spending on property and frivolous luxuries and getting into too much debt. More government is never the answer.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The president can't single handedly control the economy. People in general brought it on themselves through their foolishness, over spending on property and frivolous luxuries and getting into too much debt. More government is never the answer.
The president can be honest and not make disingenuous statements like the rebate checks are really starting to stimulate the economy.

I just went shopping with the family and almost had a heart attack right there in the super market. I track the regular things that we buy week after week. A can of soup previously $1.49, then $1.89, now $2.89. A 32 ounce container of coffee which I paid $4.99 to $5.99 a year ago, $6.99 to $7.99 a little over a month ago is now $10.98!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coffee beans have actually dropped at the commodity level.

Bread + $.70 to $1.00 a pound in one year. Special K cereal with berries, 20 oz box that I was paying $3.50 to $3.99 last year is now $5.59.

I'm not talking sale prices I'm talking regular prices. These prices don't even factor in the latest energy spikes. If this continues the bottom half of Americans are in for deep trouble!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
The national mood is dangerously angry & demand that Bush do something for the nation before he skips out of town. President Bush owes the American people some sort of remedy to our basic economic despair. Truckers [who transport our food & almost everything else] need help with diesel gasoline costs. Bush could provide assistance w/ government funds to help offset these high fuel prices. We would all benefit since grocery costs would lower as well.

President Bush needs to help his nation instead of traveling around the country doing fund-raising behind closed doors. His whole presidency has been nothing more than partisan politics & is why so many Americans detest him.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:31 PM

Well I'd say he wasn't entirely dishonest, but people read into his statement what they want. Most people I know spent their checks on things like food, gas, bills, etc. (I put mine into silver for now and will then sell the silver next year to buy what little I'll need to buy to build my cabin). While that may not be stimulating the unnecessary sectors of the economy, such as electronics industries, etc., it is putting money into the economy, simply not what people would prefer it go to though.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The national mood is dangerously angry & demand that Bush do something for the nation before he skips out of town. President Bush owes the American people some sort of remedy to our basic economic despair. Truckers [who transport our food & almost everything else] need help with diesel gasoline costs. Bush could provide assistance w/ government funds to help offset these high fuel prices. We would all benefit since grocery costs would lower as well.

President Bush needs to help his nation instead of traveling around the country doing fund-raising behind closed doors. His whole presidency has been nothing more than partisan politics & is why so many Americans detest him.
You'd still be paying the high prices with government funds for fuel, through higher taxes or the more hidden tax of inflation.

We should be looking at more efficient alternatives and looking for ways to get off of oil. Trains to replace trucks would be a start.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well I'd say he wasn't entirely dishonest, but people read into his statement what they want. Most people I know spent their checks on things like food, gas, bills, etc. (I put mine into silver for now and will then sell the silver next year to buy what little I'll need to buy to build my cabin). While that may not be stimulating the unnecessary sectors of the economy, such as electronics industries, etc., it is putting money into the economy, simply not what people would prefer it go to though.
By the time I get mine in August it will buy about 80% of what it buys today!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
By the time I get mine in August it will buy about 80% of what it buys today!
Yeah, isn't fiat money wonderful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies