Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 PM

532 posts, read 858,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Yeah, add that poor child into the CSB system with the other 400,000 unwanteds. Have you adopted children before? Just curious. If you haven't, I'm going to ask you to refrain from passing along these poisonous ideas.

Bad enough you have a world overpopulated with an extra 4-5 billion people (depending on which anthropologists you talk to), but you want another unwanted child added to the heap.

Kill it! Kill it! No, seriously, take an intro to biological anthropology course before you even consider having an opinion that this 'thing' is a child.

Work to be smarter, my friend.
No, I have not adopted a child--but I have been in the position of being pregnant and being told by my dr that I should consider an abortion because of a health problem(nephritis)I had at the time. I am so glad I didn't have the abortion, even though giving birth was "touch and go". I would have been responsible for killing the most wonderful daughter anyone could have. I will work to be smarter, if you will also--and Yes, "that thing was a child, who is living and breathing as we speak. and I do not have to refrain from talking about it. Maybe you should refrain from showing your lack of compassion.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,133,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
My comment wasn't a response to the actual OP, but to another poster which was in regards to abortion, in general.

I think that was pretty clear though, Camping.

In regards to your experience, there is no doubt that THAT would be a painful experience, however, that also wasn't what I was referring to (and you knew that), but I'm sure we can ALWAYS use more emotion in this debate! (rolls eyes)
It wasn't clear to me either.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes because your original post was so clearly analytical and not emotional?

Most people who are prolife will recognize that there will always be abortion legal or not. Most people who are prolife while still believing it to be ending a life will admit that if it is going to be done, the earlier the better.

Most people who are pro choice will recognize that there is a certain level of moral ambiguity to abortion. Most people who are prochoice while still believing it to be a womans right will admit that if it is going to be done, the earlier the better.

So what does that say? That people are not platitudes. That people who have actually lived a few decades will learn a thing or two about life and their views shouldn't be shrugged off because they don't agree with you or your womans studies professor (or alternately your youth pastor).

I think everyone agrees abortion is a thing best done early and rarely. I would be more interested in a discussion that would bring the two halves of the debate together to figure out possible resolutions to the problem.
Well said, Camping. Very well said.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Slaves were once legally considered not human. What the law thinks has nothing to do with the sentience or humanness of the being. It's just a legal opinion.
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 AM

Thumbs down It was her choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That's great for your family, but you really advocate forcing a child who was raped to carry to term? Great that it worked for your relative, but it would severely damage most women.

Do you understand how many unadopted children there are right now in the US? 1 million on the books. If there are already 1 million unadopted children, what happens if abortion is made illegal? Who will take care of all of these children? I guess we'll go back to state run orphanages.
The girl in question chose to go through with the pregnancy. She didn't tell her parents until she was quite far along. They agreed to raise the child, with her permission. At this time, she is very proud of her son, who became such a fine young man. I know that there are alot of unadopted children. I think much of it has to do with the adoption laws, making it hard for many people who would like to adopt. I know they need laws to prevent potential abuse of the child, but maybe it should be made a little easier for sincere people who make a little less money than the rules say. I'm sure it must be hard to be an orphan--but there are people who were orphans who have grown up to be outstanding people, who are glad to be alive. I know one couple who take in Foster children, who are born to drug-addicted Mothers. They usually have 2, or 3 at one time, and have adopted at least one. They say it is hard, but very easy to love the children.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 AM

Thumbs down Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I don't believe in God, so why should your beliefs apply to me?
My beliefs do not apply to you. You will do as you choose, I'm sure. No one is forcing you to believe in a Creator, or even to be humane.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,002,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Oh yeah, the inconvenience of coming up with 300 bucks must be so difficult for these pro-deathers. These pro-murderers need to come up with a new gig besides the reproductive rights argument, and the difficulty of making the decision.
Ok, stop being an ass, seriously.
You do not give a **** about women or the millions of unwanted babies in the world. You get off on power and control, you are anti-choice and I bet you're all for the war, the death penalty, and are not a vegetarian.

Your posts reek of anger and arrogance, I am putting you on ignore and urging you to seek professional help.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:30 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,993,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
WAS? Sorry, couldn't resist. I keed, I keed.
I'm actually a group of monkeys that are randomly typing on a keyboard and happening to produce semi-coherent sentences by blind chance, why you guys decided to argue with us we shall never understand, much as we don't understand anything else, despite the fact that most of us are considerably smarter than embryos.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:38 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,457,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Ok, stop being an ass, seriously.
You do not give a **** about women or the millions of unwanted babies in the world. You get off on power and control, you are anti-choice and I bet you're all for the war, the death penalty, and are not a vegetarian.

Your posts reek of anger and arrogance, I am putting you on ignore and urging you to seek professional help.
I'm pro-life, you being pro-death. I respect women's rights as much as anyone.

I'm a Catholic, anti-death penalty, anti-war conservative republican. I don't think vegetarianism has anything to do with anything, although I don't eat red meat.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-28-2008 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: don't advise fellow posters to get professional help "to fix" their opinions

Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,636,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I'd like to believe that. But the statistic used by "your side" on an earlier post indicates that many women have abortion after abortion after abortion.

Clearly it's not traumatic enough to prevent a repetition of the behavior.
Show the statistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.