Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 10:00 PM

603 posts, read 1,990,179 times

Advertisements

I'm not commenting on the black majority concept, but I do want to talk about South Africa. South Africa is a tragic story. The pendulum has really swung the other direction following apartheid, where you now have blatant racism and threats against whites all over the region. Anyone ever heard of the farmer killings? Didn't think so, because the media rarely covers it. Some 2000+ white farmers and their families have been outright slaughtered by (some claim govt backed) gangs that want whites out of the country. Zimbabwe's leader essentially supported this notion several years ago and was successful in rooting out all white farmers from that country. Now their agriculture industry has been crippled and he's asking the people whose land was seized by the govt to return and farm again for the good of the country. Not to go off on a tangent, but the atrocities taking place in South Africa daily are almost never covered in the American press. You can look up farm killings on Youtube and you'll be shocked. Also, Nelson Mandela openly singing about killing whites (youtube it). It's disturbing stuff to say the least.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:47 PM

8 posts, read 5,281 times
Keep in mind that under apartheid there was significant Black migration to South Africa.

If it was so brutal as the media pushed on us in the early 1990s, why was there such significant migration from neighboring African countries? If anything, if it was so brutal, there would of been emigration from South Africa but that was not the case.

The first world cities that dotted South Africa's landscape now, post-apartheid, resemble Lagos, Abuja, Addis Ababa, etc. They are totally destroyed and it's not even safe to be in them.

Either way, Mugabe destroyed his nation and plunged his people into poverty. The situation was tragic and largely ignored by the Western media. Most Whites in Zimbabwe have left, the farms have been destroyed, and there is people starving. In South Africa, they are hesitant to go with a land grab program after watching Zimbabwe. Plus, South Africa has a horribly violent crime problem to deal with. It's very scary there now.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 PM

603 posts, read 1,990,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningOutOfTime View Post
Keep in mind that under apartheid there was significant Black migration to South Africa.

If it was so brutal as the media pushed on us in the early 1990s, why was there such significant migration from neighboring African countries? If anything, if it was so brutal, there would of been emigration from South Africa but that was not the case.

The first world cities that dotted South Africa's landscape now, post-apartheid, resemble Lagos, Abuja, Addis Ababa, etc. They are totally destroyed and it's not even safe to be in them.

Either way, Mugabe destroyed his nation and plunged his people into poverty. The situation was tragic and largely ignored by the Western media. Most Whites in Zimbabwe have left, the farms have been destroyed, and there is people starving. In South Africa, they are hesitant to go with a land grab program after watching Zimbabwe. Plus, South Africa has a horribly violent crime problem to deal with. It's very scary there now.
Yes, it is curious, you do make some interesting points. But, the PC police don't really allow people to discuss this type of thing openly for whatever reason, it's sort of bizarre.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:27 AM

79 posts, read 285,263 times
Default it is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningOutOfTime View Post
I wasn't implying it, I was stating it. I can't find an example of one successful country with a Black majority; in fact, South Africa under apartheid had much less crime than the horror zone it is today.
And historically, has there ever been a great black African civilization. And no, Egypt doesn't count. That is North Africa and not black. maybe it is environment and they were too busy fighting off lions, etc. There have been great civilizations amongst all other races. They Mayans, Greeks, Persians, Chinese, Japanese, etc. But why not African?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:02 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,452,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoninnyc View Post
And historically, has there ever been a great black African civilization. And no, Egypt doesn't count. That is North Africa and not black. maybe it is environment and they were too busy fighting off lions, etc. There have been great civilizations amongst all other races. They Mayans, Greeks, Persians, Chinese, Japanese, etc. But why not African?
It might not be true in fact, but we shouldn't repeat these things in society. It's find as a point reference for this debate, but this would truly offend an African American individual.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 AM

79 posts, read 285,263 times
you are right. but i wasn't saying there has never been one, just not that i know of. didn't realize how horrible i sound until you pointed it out.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,452,770 times
Quote:
you are right. but i wasn't saying there has never been one, just not that i know of. didn't realize how horrible i sound until you pointed it out.
It's ok my friend, just be careful for your own personal character, because many people do wrongly judge.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 PM

49 posts, read 135,048 times
Quote:
Perhaps its a little late to reply as this post is 1 yr. old. I just saw it thru Google when I was searching New Orleans. I disagree with you. The first humans came from Africa according to archealogical and historical accounts. Remember Lucy??? Perhaps you haven't studied your anthropology well enough to say that black Africans are all uncivilized brutes and therefore cannot manage a government let alone their lives. Egypt is part of Africa and by saying no, they don't count because they aren't black enough is racist and ignorant. Egypt is very close to Europe and the Middle East so as a result of racial mixing these people are going to be lighter, but make no mistake that it's not because the Egyptians are naturally light. The original Jews were the dark skinned Africans of Ethiopia. There is a lot of civilization and culture in black Africa, but if in your white mind you view civilization and culture in the form of skyscrapers, big commerce and the Roman Empire II we know of as America, then I suppose you would think that any country that does not embody these features and traits would be uncivilized. Unless any of you (including myself) have been to Africa or New Orleans (I've been there and yes, it is poor, but the people are rich in spirit) then we shouldn't be echoing what the white media tells us. They are the majority stakeholders in the media. In more laymen's terms, you can't believe everything you read and hear, you have to be there for yourself to know. The media's turned into a tabloid spectacle where journalists will sensationalize everything to sell, including the war in Iraq. When I read about blacks and other minority groups all we hear is bad new- i.e. thugs, drugs, AIDS, crime, homelessness, heart disease, obesity and how we are genetically predisposed to horrible diseases like diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and the like. After we all see the news on minorities it feeds a negative image of us ranging from the way you two feel about blacks to the way we start to feel about ourselves. My mother came from a foreign country and never heard of people having high cholesterol, diabetes and etc. until she came here. I think America's responsible for poisoning our food supply with pesticides, preservatives, our media and etc. It's all a chain reaction if you get my point.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM

435 posts, read 1,518,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorada19 View Post
Perhaps its a little late to reply as this post is 1 yr. old. I just saw it thru Google when I was searching New Orleans. I disagree with you. The first humans came from Africa according to archealogical and historical accounts. Remember Lucy??? Perhaps you haven't studied your anthropology well enough to say that black Africans are all uncivilized brutes and therefore cannot manage a government let alone their lives. Egypt is part of Africa and by saying no, they don't count because they aren't black enough is racist and ignorant. Egypt is very close to Europe and the Middle East so as a result of racial mixing these people are going to be lighter, but make no mistake that it's not because the Egyptians are naturally light. The original Jews were the dark skinned Africans of Ethiopia. There is a lot of civilization and culture in black Africa, but if in your white mind you view civilization and culture in the form of skyscrapers, big commerce and the Roman Empire II we know of as America, then I suppose you would think that any country that does not embody these features and traits would be uncivilized. Unless any of you (including myself) have been to Africa or New Orleans (I've been there and yes, it is poor, but the people are rich in spirit) then we shouldn't be echoing what the white media tells us. They are the majority stakeholders in the media. In more laymen's terms, you can't believe everything you read and hear, you have to be there for yourself to know. The media's turned into a tabloid spectacle where journalists will sensationalize everything to sell, including the war in Iraq. When I read about blacks and other minority groups all we hear is bad new- i.e. thugs, drugs, AIDS, crime, homelessness, heart disease, obesity and how we are genetically predisposed to horrible diseases like diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and the like. After we all see the news on minorities it feeds a negative image of us ranging from the way you two feel about blacks to the way we start to feel about ourselves. My mother came from a foreign country and never heard of people having high cholesterol, diabetes and etc. until she came here. I think America's responsible for poisoning our food supply with pesticides, preservatives, our media and etc. It's all a chain reaction if you get my point.
So, to recap

1) America is evil

2) Success is realtive

3) Eygptions are mixed? (no, they're naturally light)

Now, I don't agree with the premise that Africans are necessarly inferior by nature. Look at the success of African immigrants abroad. What's funny is that decay sets in when they become majority (are you listening Europe?). Maybe it's not the person but the culture

Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 54,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I read that the Hispanic population is quickly becoming the majority there. Is that true? Could the rash of killings be rival gangs fighting for control of the city?

I ask because when you have two populations intermixing like that problems arise. The black community that has been there for generations, having an influx of hispanics may cause the rash of killings.
From research and accounts from life long residents of New Orleans that I know, the issue is not rival gangs of different ethnicities but those from different public housing projects. One article (in Time Magazine 2006) stated that the rivalry/feuding has gone on for generations (hence the "stable" murder rate over the span over many years). The article also mentioned that one of the FBI's most wanted criminal, Harris (aka B-Stupid), a 20 year old black male was arrested for multiple murders that were committed in New Orleans before Katrina, in Houston post-Katrina, and in New Orleans post-Katrina).
It has also been implied that the legal system in New Orleans has failed to ensure that these criminals are punished to the fullest extent of the law---but this is not totally their fault as many witnesses recant or refuse to testify for fear of their lives. I think there is a myth that most of the criminals were evacuated during Katrina. Perhaps many of them were but just think about the majority of people that were left behind. . .they did not have the means or perhaps the desire to leave, many were supposed "looters" and terrorized the city (not to say that such dire circumstances cannot contribute to temporary insanity-not an excuse!)

As for poverty being an underlying cause of crime, I agree with that arguement in part: the poverty has existed across generations (in most cases) and has lead to a sense of desperation because there seems to be little or no hope. The educational system (of NOLA and the entire state) is dismal in comparison to many others. When you grow up without parents or adults that emphasize the importance of education and hard work, who have lived in public housing all their lives the cycle is likely to continue. Also, when they are given the opportunity to make easy money, they are going to take it no matter how dangerous or what the ultimate cost is . . .most of the crime seems to be done by teenagers and young adults. . .they begin when they are juveniles with minds that are not fully developed and easily molded, so when they become adults their way of thinking is totally distorted and the cycle continues. Just my $0.02!: Let them tear down public housing, restructure the educational system, and revamp the justice system by offering more incentive and protection for witnesses of crime so that they stick to their testimony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies