Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,538 times

Advertisements

Al Gore is coming to Boise, Idaho the original place that it was to be held at was getting full so they have moved his convention to a bigger place. What are your thoughts on global warming? Could the size of houses and cars we are building and buying be part of our problem? Can only America be the solution if other countries don't do their part how can we stop it? Do you believe this is really a problem or as the Bible says we will end in fire is this just setting us up for the end of life on earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Global warming is a fact..... only we can stop it..but we wont, too dependant on cars, and fuel and factory's. We should just go back to the medieval ages, I dont think progress is always a good thing.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:27 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Al Gore is coming to Boise, Idaho the original place that it was to be held at was getting full so they have moved his convention to a bigger place. What are your thoughts on global warming? Could the size of houses and cars we are building and buying be part of our problem? Can only America be the solution if other countries don't do their part how can we stop it? Do you believe this is really a problem or as the Bible says we will end in fire is this just setting us up for the end of life on earth?

Brazil is already doing it's part. Brazil's military government pushed alcohol-powered cars in the early 1980s. Alcohol made from sugar cane is becoming the fuel of choice in Brazil. We need to catch up. Good luck with Big Oil.

I really don't care what the bible says, but our greed is definitely setting us up for the end of life on earth. Mother earth can only take so much.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,958,039 times
Global warming is a myth.. the Earth works in cycles.. were just in the midst of a cycle change. Im all for cars that have cheeper fuel and cleaner fuel.. not because of any fears of global warming but because its better for our air quility.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
I too believe in global warming and we need to stop it. I think people make a big deal out of needing heat in the winter when its 60 degrees up north! I am not worried, I wont need heat much!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
There are 3 basic truisms in life: 1.) Death, 2.) Taxes, 3.) Whatever Al Gore says, the opposite will happen. Al Gore is like the poster boy for loser - I still remember him giving a speach on Global Warming in New York during the coldest day of the year a couple years ago. Blizzard and all that. I can't believe he would still fill a high school gym at this point.

OK beside that I have to say I remain somewhat skeptical, although I keep an open and concerned mind on global warming. For one thing we just don't have enough historical records on global temperature - 200 years or so, compared to the life of this planet we can only measure a fraction. Sure we can look at rocks and tree rings but still it only shows us so much. So ANY data a scientist can collect to measure long term temperature changes would be inconclusive.
Another thing is the planet is in constant change, regardless of any impact man can make. We already know that the planet has undergone several extreme temperature changes, this was all millions of years ago before aerosal and hydrocarbons, etc. We all agree the planet is getting warmer, but could this be part of the planet's natural state of evolution?
Finally, I still remember "the sky is falling" predictions from the 60's, etc about overpopulation, garbage, famine, etc that predicted all of us to be living like cavemen about now. It never happened, so how are we to take these predictions serious now?
I'm not saying it's not a concern, all this waste going into the atmosphere can't be good, I'm just skeptical about the degree of impact.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:57 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,727 times
If there is any thing to global warming it should not be coming from Al Gore!!! He goes to all of these "global warming" events in his private jet and he is driven in big town cars!! I think he is a hypocrit!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 03:05 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Even if you do subscribe to the idea that the book of Revelation is a manual for the End Times (personally, I think that is a misinterpretation of that beautiful book), I don't buy the logic (found among many Americans, sadly) that it justifies wanton abuse of the environment. "God's gonna destroy the wolrd anyway, so the quicker we trash it the sooner we can get a new one" seems to be the thinking. I don't buy that. God gave this world into our hands to tend and care for, not treat like a garbage dump.

Yes, global warming is a reality, and yes we are part of the problem. Our complete reliance upon fossil-based fuels is a big cause.

That being said, I'm less certain that Al Gore is the best spokesman for the message. I think he's often right in his views, but the hyperbole of his message often does more harm than good.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:24 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
Brazil is already doing it's part. Brazil's military government pushed alcohol-powered cars in the early 1980s. Alcohol made from sugar cane is becoming the fuel of choice in Brazil. We need to catch up. Good luck with Big Oil.

I really don't care what the bible says, but our greed is definitely setting us up for the end of life on earth. Mother earth can only take so much.
What I have read about sugar cane and it is not a crop we can grow here and if left too other countries to grow it for us we will be in the same mess as oil and there seems to be problems with it running the cars that we have. It would be alittle tough for everyone to buy new cars to run ethanol.
There's a article by Executive Intelligence Review that was interesting you might want to check out. www.larouchepub.com

Old 01-08-2007, 04:35 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
What I have read about sugar cane and it is not a crop we can grow here and if left too other countries to grow it for us we will be in the same mess as oil and there seems to be problems with it running the cars that we have.
We can, however, grow lots and lots of corn, which is used to make ethanol. That's still not an end solution in my mind, but it beats Middle Eastern oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies