Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 12:31 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,774,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh puh-LEASE! I'm agnostic and I celebrate those holidays. Who can argue with a day off to eat, drink, and be merry? These holidays have little to do with religion for most people.
You are correct however I would argure the "most people" part of it, however their history is the offensive part.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,060,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well once again there is nothing wrong with learning about all culture's equally! That's just not what multiculturalism is about and that is my point!
You have no idea what you're talking about. I hope one day you re-read your posts on CD and are so verily embarrassed with yourself you cancel your ISP.
What's worse is you don't even realize you're not even sharing the same views as the OP! You make him look like a ancient Chinese philosopher in comparison.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Re-read my post. I'm not quite sure you've gathered anything from it.

I'm giving you a wonderfully American holiday which at its core, is far more dangerous and disgusting than Kwanza. And how often do we hear about Kwanza? The back-page of Anywhere, USA times relegated to a small box in the corner? If that.

BTW, did you just imply that holidays which are sweet and Christian are American? Disgusting.
Well, you have said it all! for the record let me be sure I am getting this right. You just stated that "Columbus day" is (far more dangerous and disgusting than kwaanza!) Is that correct?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
What's worse is you don't even realize you're not even sharing the same views as the OP! You make him look like a ancient Chinese philosopher in comparison.
what makes you think my intent is to share anyones views?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM

13,032 posts, read 24,556,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The thread is about multiculturalism , quanza is the epitome of that nonsense! Again what year did they start celebrating it?
So basically what you are saying is that holidays/celebrations only gain validity after a certain period ?
So for example Easter which was long debated in the Christian Church ( and still is amongst some synods) only gained true momentum .... when ?

What period of time does make it an acceptable made up construct ? 50 years, 200? 1000? In the ballpark of what ?
Everything has to start somewhere and I do not see why it is something for you to get so aggravated about.

Have you been psychologically scarred by Kwanzaa ? Were you forced to take part in it ? Does it involve any illegal/immoral ceremonies/rituals ?
Or are you just uncomfortable that some people for whatever reasons have come up with something which does not really have anything to do with you and your vision of "American" culture.

The beauty of American is its cultural diversity and the wonderful way which the melting pot has come together.
It is the one true wonder to be proud of as an American.
A place where all races, religions and nationalities come together and celebrate their diversity as well as their American-ness. I love it when I see so many races, so many cultures who have somehow managed to live together on the whole very successfully.

Nobody should have to ignore where they come from originally. Assimilation absolutely. Cultural annihilation by becoming the same however is not only boring, it is foolish and a real shame.

What makes us great as human beings is not only what we have in common but how we have all evolved into different cultures. It is what makes our humanity rich,interesting and worthwhile.

Differences should not be divisive.

What makes you an American is not whether you celebrate Kwanzaa or believe in the Easter Bunny. At least I sincerely hope not.

Hopefully there is more to a human being than what holidays he celebrate and i would like to believe there is enough room in the education system to teach kids about Diwali, Hanukkah, Christmas, Ramadan, Atheism , Western and non western Art, religion, literature whatever. Intellect should have no boundaries, curiosity and an enquiring challenging mind should encompass all that our specie has come up with. Who bloody cares whether it is white, black, orange or purple history ?
We are all one specie, all one people. Whether we like it or not .

Why does it only have to be one version of history/culture when there is no such thing.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

The beauty of American is its cultural diversity and the wonderful way which the melting pot has come together.
It is the one true wonder to be proud of as an American.
Sorry! You lost me right there! But that's ok! I understand that there are those of you that feel that way! Hey, Obama's wife is right there with you!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:56 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,816,637 times
Wow, I stay out of this thread for a day, and when I come back, a zombie plague has broken loose and everyone's resorted to cannibalism...

Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,510,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Wow, I stay out of this thread for a day, and when I come back, a zombie plague has broken loose and everyone's resorted to cannibalism...
Well, what's wrong with cannibalism? It may not be YOUR 'thing', and I'm not too wild about it, either....But it IS part of some cultures, and it SHOULD be celebrated...right?

(Come to think of it, I do have a neighbor who keeps asking me over "for dinner"....hmmmm..I wonder)

Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,816,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well, what's wrong with cannibalism? It may not be YOUR 'thing', and I'm not too wild about it, either....But it IS part of some cultures, and it SHOULD be celebrated...right?

(Come to think of it, I do have a neighbor who keeps asking me over "for dinner"....hmmmm..I wonder)
I was thinking more along the lines of "ripping open the back of the skull as they scream and eating their braaaaiiiinsss" kind of cannibalism. I don't have a problem with cannibalism... after the meal is deceased, that is.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,502,168 times
Many of the Founding Fathers were agnostic or at least deistic. They were not typical Bible-thumping fundamentalist Christians of the Southern Baptist or Catholic variety. I totally reject the notion that these so-called Christian holidays being celebrated today are "American as apple pie". Anyone can create a holiday (like Kwanzaa), and that would not be less valid than Christmas or Easter. Like another poster said, holidays are human inventions. We can create them, and we can also destroy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies