Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:09 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times

Advertisements

A response to this often quoted stat.

Quote:
In August the Justice Policy Institute generated a lot of headlines and broadcast news college with a study claiming that there were more black men in prison than in college. But a close look at the numbers finds the study doesn't add up...

Are More Black Men In Jail Than College? (http://www.skepticism.net/articles/2002/000079.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:23 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
That bites. I checked the org out- they seem to lean the other way defending minorities. I think they're speaking first, then realizing dumb stuff they said after the fact. I'm sure someone will use that original statement to go ahead a build a racist argument. Very convenient.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:42 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Why do black need to twist the numbers...are they so stupid to think we take everything as they say it is.
Obama, Al Sharpton, rev. Wright, they all have a way of twisting words and numbers.
Obama for the capital gains tax...the way he tries to sell this to the voters is no very honest, Al Sharpton is the men who should be rewarded for the many double standards he tries to sell and for one he isn't paying taxes (he has a track record for not paying),
rev. Wright for blaming all white people for all kind of things.

By the way isn't it so that we see many young blacks get arrested and instead of being in school they go out to do things they think they suit them better and are against the law...To me if the number would be bad for white people or black people...I think the parents should start to act as parents and don't expect others to teach their kids respect, values and what is good or bad....the way this survey/poll is, is making it look like the governement is responsible for who goes to College and who goes to jail...in my community we see many kids wandering the neighborhood late at night while other kids are at home...sad to say but most late night kids are black....maybe a cultural thing to leave 8,9 year olds playing out side at 10 pm in the dark...

Old 06-16-2008, 07:43 AM

384 posts, read 1,710,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why do black need to twist the numbers...are they so stupid to think we take everything as they say it is.
Obama, Al Sharpton, rev. Wright, they all have a way of twisting words and numbers.
Obama for the capital gains tax...the way he tries to sell this to the voters is no very honest, Al Sharpton is the men who should be rewarded for the many double standards he tries to sell and for one he isn't paying taxes (he has a track record for not paying),
rev. Wright for blaming all white people for all kind of things.

By the way isn't it so that we see many young blacks get arrested and instead of being in school they go out to do things they think they suit them better and are against the law...To me if the number would be bad for white people or black people...I think the parents should start to act as parents and don't expect others to teach their kids respect, values and what is good or bad....the way this survey/poll is, is making it look like the governement is responsible for who goes to College and who goes to jail...in my community we see many kids wandering the neighborhood late at night while other kids are at home...sad to say but most late night kids are black....maybe a cultural thing to leave 8,9 year olds playing out side at 10 pm in the dark...

I guess George Bush should be considered black as well, I guess all the lies by corporate America and politicians should be looked as blacks twisting numbers.....

A cultural thing to leave your kids out at night huh?" lol this is waaay too funny to know that there are people out there that think white is correct and black is just whack. Please don't let me start a comparison list because if I were to do so you would see that there are crappy parents in ALL races Whites included.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Stop breaking the law... seems simple to me.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Stop breaking the law... seems simple to me.
Yeah it seems simple to me as well that blacks are the only law breakers in this country. Wow how sad that people still live in the days that considers blacks a menace to society; why don't we just exterminate them all and clear up that problem.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:07 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Yeah it seems simple to me as well that blacks are the only law breakers in this country. Wow how sad that people still live in the days that considers blacks a menace to society; why don't we just exterminate them all and clear up that problem.
OOOOHHHH AHHHHHH weep weep and weep some more. He never said that blacks are the only law breakers though there are more of them in prison than white people... black people tend to have this staunch attitude against obeying "whitey's" laws and its really not helping their case at all.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate Comment

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 06-16-2008 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate remark

Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
12% black people population yet they commit alot of crime for that 12%.
I suggest they just obey the law like most people do in general. Whites, Asians, Hispanics etc all break the law too. But if a race as more people in jail then in college I would think the best thing to do before worrying about college is to STAY OUT OF JAIL.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
12% black people population yet they commit alot of crime for that 12%.
I suggest they just obey the law like most people do in general. Whites, Asians, Hispanics etc all break the law too. But if a race as more people in jail then in college I would think the best thing to do before worrying about college is to STAY OUT OF JAIL.
Do you realize that statistics also shows that blacks are more likely to be imprisoned for the same offenses as whites? But I also guess that's something to be ignored.

Targeting Blacks: Drug Law Enforcement and Race in the United States: IV. Race and the Incarceration of Drug Offenders

Iowa Independent:: Meth Arrests Likely Behind Lessening Racial Disparity in Drug Sentencing

Drug War Facts: Race, Prison, and the Drug Laws

Last edited by Jadel812; 06-16-2008 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Reference links

Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 14,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
A response to this often quoted stat.
This is more propaganda created by the white man. They always give lies about blacks especially black men. America has to lie about the black male. If you want to keep a race down you have to start with the males. Black males in america are looked at as the biggest competition against white males. Over hispanics and asian males in our society. Just looked at these flawed and lying stats about more in jail than college. Jail the age can be from 18-65. College the age is 18-24. If you look at the ages between 18-24. Which is the age most people attend college. There are 4 almost 5 to 1 more black men in college than jail or prison. But the media has to make you have this negative image. In order to keep the white man ahead of every race as far as his image is concern. Just look when a black woman dates outside her race. You automatically hear its because their isn't enough good black men. But when a white woman dates outside her race. Which is 10 to 20 times more likely than a black woman would. Its because the white woman is mad at her dad. Or because of hollywood, and hip hop. Never because its not enough good white men. When a black man is gay he has to be on the downlow. When a white male is gay he is just gay that

Most black males in prison are there for drug crimes. Fors selling crack mostly. Look at how our judicial system treats black vs whites. Lets give mandatory sentences of 40 years for crack selling. But white men who sell cocaine and meth. Lets just give them community service and probation. Of course white people want to keep whitey's laws going. Its treats them better than other races. They get probation while blacks get prison time. Who wouldn't want to keep that going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies