Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, that is a good question and a different one. We do have a responsibility, as Americans, to uphold our Constitution and do what needs to be done, which is the focal point of this thread. This administration is guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors and this should not be overlooked. If nothing else, history has to record that we at least did this much. Where do we go from here is another thread, I think.
Wait. I thought there is a presumption of innocence... Oh never mind. I was thinking that the laws of the US applied both ways.

I try to follow you guys and understand your reasoning, but when someone leads of with a patently false statement and then it is excused by someone else as being okay only to be followed by some other statement that is patently illogical that requires some else to come along to excuse that one, there is a vast credibility gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 01:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I think demanding action from our elected officials is a start. I think getting support among the grassroots is important as it won't reflect Rupert Murdocks view of the world and hence won't find time on tv news.
Post ideas, Ben from Ben and Jerry's fame has a group that does the socially aware challenges. There must be others. Share your information.
Write your elected officials.
If they get a ton of submissions they will listen. We will demand they listen or they will be out.

I am not advocating they don't get the presumption of innocence actually, and while I have a presupposition I'm sure there are some that would provide a non-biased look.... hmm the Hague sounds like a good place. If we don't question and query we won't find the truth and I am willing to say there is no merit should that be found. I think Clinton didnt do anything with Whitewater, I'm still not sure why they asked about Monica during that process.... I'm thinking witch hunt but whatever... it didnt work and he did do a good job other than keeping his Johnson in his pants and choosing nappy women to fool around with...

Old 06-11-2008, 05:14 AM
mga

230 posts, read 397,559 times
christ...how many times are we going to go thru this?

i have an idea.....if obama gets elected, can he impeach him immediately if he doesn't do any of his campaign promises and charge him with lying and deceiving the public as well?

or, is there a level of lying and deceit that we adjust the bar to to suit the candidate of our choice? this seems to be what the left likes to do....raise the bar for the republicans, but lower it for the democrats.

obama has claimed he's going to bring change to washington, yet, his acts of cronyism go un-noticed by everyone:

Seems like old times

This list of people being named to Obama's campaign makes it look like a full employment act for Democrat spouses, children and long time consultants.]
Last week Obama named Caroline Kennedy, Eric Holder of Mark Rich pardon infamy and the campaign manager for Walter Mondale in 1974, James Johnson to his vice presidential search committee.

Sunday Obama named Elizabeth Edwards, the wife of twice also ran presidential candidate and one term Senator John Edwards to be on his health care policy team. Even the seemingly fresh names around Obama have very old connections. Economic policy director Jason Furman, age 37, has worked closely with former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin and Furman also advised John Kerry during the 2004 presidential race. He also is a defender of Wal-Mart, a minority position on the left.[
Bloomberg reports that Furman announced that some other familiar names will be working with him as campaign advisors: Rubin, former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, former Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Alan Blinder, and James Galbraith, a University of Texas economist and son of economist John Kenneth Galbraith, who was an adviser to President John F. Kennedy, and Jared Bernstein of the Economic Policy Institute and the Huffington Post. The last name is particularly interesting for while Dr. Bernstein writes on income inequality and the minimum wage, his degree is from the Columbia School of Social Work, not any department of economics.
Trust cronyism and nepotism to trump promises of hope and change any day. That's the Chicago way.

American Thinker Blog: Seems like old times[
so, when obama lies to the people....it's OK

Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
christ...how many times are we going to go thru this?

i have an idea.....if obama gets elected, can he impeach him immediately if he doesn't do any of his campaign promises and charge him with lying and deceiving the public as well?

or, is there a level of lying and deceit that we adjust the bar to to suit the candidate of our choice? this seems to be what the left likes to do....raise the bar for the republicans, but lower it for the democrats.

obama has claimed he's going to bring change to washington, yet, his acts of cronyism go un-noticed by everyone:

Seems like old times

This list of people being named to Obama's campaign makes it look like a full employment act for Democrat spouses, children and long time consultants.]
Last week Obama named Caroline Kennedy, Eric Holder of Mark Rich pardon infamy and the campaign manager for Walter Mondale in 1974, James Johnson to his vice presidential search committee.

Sunday Obama named Elizabeth Edwards, the wife of twice also ran presidential candidate and one term Senator John Edwards to be on his health care policy team. Even the seemingly fresh names around Obama have very old connections. Economic policy director Jason Furman, age 37, has worked closely with former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin and Furman also advised John Kerry during the 2004 presidential race. He also is a defender of Wal-Mart, a minority position on the left.[
Bloomberg reports that Furman announced that some other familiar names will be working with him as campaign advisors: Rubin, former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, former Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Alan Blinder, and James Galbraith, a University of Texas economist and son of economist John Kenneth Galbraith, who was an adviser to President John F. Kennedy, and Jared Bernstein of the Economic Policy Institute and the Huffington Post. The last name is particularly interesting for while Dr. Bernstein writes on income inequality and the minimum wage, his degree is from the Columbia School of Social Work, not any department of economics.
Trust cronyism and nepotism to trump promises of hope and change any day. That's the Chicago way.

American Thinker Blog: Seems like old times[
so, when obama lies to the people....it's OK
mga (you are the mga, right? If not, my bad) Even though we are not on the same page (anymore ), and I know you do not like Obama, is it not important that Americans hold their leaders to some accountability? I think yes. We most certainly did put Bill Clinton through the ringer and for, oh so STUPID, of a reason.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

540 posts, read 962,776 times
Clark's piece is a bit misleading. He says that the committee "unanimously found President Bush, Vice President Cheney and other top officers had made false charges..." That is inaccurate. The committee unanimously agreed that there were intellignce failuree; however, the minority wrote additional comments at the end of the report indicating that there was no evidence that the administration created false intelligence.

I thought this was an interesting piece that show just what information ISN'T in that report - information that Clark uses as justification for charges of treason.

washingtonpost.com

Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Looks to me like every president since FDR needs to be impeached if so because they did the same thing sending troops without a declaration of war.Korea;vietnam;desert storm.salomlia ;bosnia ;the list goes on.Every poresident since truman has su[pported the so called police action in korea that has been in a ceasefire since the 50's.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
mga

230 posts, read 397,559 times
Quote:
mga (you are the mga, right? If not, my bad) Even though we are not on the same page (anymore ), and I know you do not like Obama, is it not important that Americans hold their leaders to some accountability? I think yes. We most certainly did put Bill Clinton through the ringer and for, oh so STUPID, of a reason.
yep.....'tis me...the one and only "mga".

i have no problem holding any one accountable, but only when it serves a greater good.

right now, trying to lynch bush with 6 months to go doesn't serve the greater good of the nation. besides, it's just a cheap trick on the democrats part.

i can't wait for obama to be elected.....i'll be making out my lynch list early.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:10 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The former United States Attorney General urges that both Bush & Cheney be brought up on charges of treason.

Message from Ramsey Clark

Impeachment is not a political question. Impeachment is a constitutional duty. It is the one power and highest duty the Constitution rests in the Congress to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States when the President, Vice President, and other civil officers of the United States commit treason, bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors.

George Bush has deliberately, falsely and systematically mislead the Congress and the American people concerning the most criminal, costly and harmful acts of his administration, leading us to war, tragic loss of human life, the devastation of Iraq, military expenses reaching trillions of dollars, disruption of the economy that will take decades to overcome, a contemptuous assault on the Bill of Rights, an international humanitarian disaster, deliberate antagonism and provocation of nations and people, most once friendly, and an enlarging assault on the earth's environment.

On June 5, 2008, a long delayed five year U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence study and 170-page report unanimously found President Bush, Vice President Cheney and other top officers had made false charges and systematically presented a more dire picture about Iraq than justified by intelligence provided only to them. The Committee included both Democrats and Republicans.

Today President Bush is exerting all his power and influence to repeatedly urge Europe, Israel and others to support an attack on Iran which he intends to commence in the remaining months of the presidency. Iran is larger than Iraq and Afghanistan, has millions of people, richer by a multiple, unimpaired by recent war and will fight fiercely if attacked. He is negotiating a permanent U.S. military presence in Iraq placing the U.S. on Iran's border.

The next several Presidents of the United States will spend their time in office miserably fighting wars started by Bush, as our economy is consumed in military spending.

Impeachment, a Constitutional duty, is the only way to prevent George W. Bush and his cabal from vastly enlarging the disastrous wars he has already inflicted on the world and the American people. The House of Representatives must quickly consider Bills of Impeachment long overdue, and the Senate must prepare to sit in judgment of President Bush, Vice President Cheney other officers who are implicated.

Ramsey Clark
June 10, 2008
I think the horse is dead...........Carrie

Old 06-11-2008, 01:31 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Clark's piece is a bit misleading. He says that the committee "unanimously found President Bush, Vice President Cheney and other top officers had made false charges..." That is inaccurate. The committee unanimously agreed that there were intellignce failuree; however, the minority wrote additional comments at the end of the report indicating that there was no evidence that the administration created false intelligence.

I thought this was an interesting piece that show just what information ISN'T in that report - information that Clark uses as justification for charges of treason.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
Ah ha, and what about the Downing Street memos?

Quote:
There is now in the public record a large body of evidence that vividly illustrates:

* Bush’s long-standing intent to invade Iraq
* Bush’s willingness to provoke Saddam (in a variety of ways) into providing a pretext for war
* The fact that the war effectively began with an air campaign nearly a year before the March 2003 invasion and months before Congressional approval for the use of force
* The administration’s widespread effort to crush dissent and manipulate information that would counter its justification for war
* The lack of planning for the war’s aftermath and a fundamental lack of understanding of the Iraqi society

From cherry-picked intelligence to a non-existent plan to win the peace; from no-bid contracts for reconstruction to character assassination for anyone who dares to question the premises of the war—the Bush administration has perpetrated what is by any measure one of the most egregious foreign policy misstep in our history.
The Downing Street Memo :: What is it?

Old 06-11-2008, 01:41 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
Quote:
Yes, that is a good question and a different one. We do have a responsibility, as Americans, to uphold our Constitution and do what needs to be done, which is the focal point of this thread. This administration is guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors and this should not be overlooked. If nothing else, history has to record that we at least did this much. Where do we go from here is another thread, I think.
yeah right. uphold the constitution? that's a joke. we haven't done that in 100's of years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies