Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Many of the successful have gotten that way by denying health care to the people that need it. Logically, if you have a "Right to Life" you have a "Right to preserve that Life". I have no problem reducing the concentration of wealth to provide food, shelter and medicine to all of the population. The successful will still be successful but they will have slightly less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:10 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
My family lost our health insurance when I lost my job. And yet, it isn't the government's place to provide health insurance or health care for my family. If government would slash its own size by at least 50% and stay out of every facet of our lives, I could afford to provide my own health care.
A perfect example of a fella being an accomplice in his own screwing.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:11 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Exactly, I find it most interesting that our "elected officials" get the best of health care, paid for with our TAX money. If they get this paid for by our money, so should the rest of the population.
hahahaha, we pay for congressmen to have the most expensive cars too. we pay for their insurance, and their gas. remember the part time job that "was" congress? $168,000 and a lifetime of benefits sounds pretty good for a part time job.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:14 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
hahahaha, we pay for congressmen to have the most expensive cars too. we pay for their insurance, and their gas. remember the part time job that "was" congress? $168,000 and a lifetime of benefits sounds pretty good for a part time job.
Well, we shouldn't be paying for them to have the "most expensive cars" etc. BASIC Health care (I am not talking about plastic surgery or tooth veneers or bleaching here) should be a right in a country that has the resources this country has. Heck, they don't have a problem spending billions on a war that should have never happened, but somehow they fail to provide even very basic health care for it's citizens.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
The better question is who pays for this "right"... do the people who don't pay a "fair" share for these rights also get them as well? The people who think health care is a right probably also think "driving a car" is also a right... but when you ask them if they are willing to give a homeless person a brand new car from their salary, they are up in arms.. its easy to do universal health care... tax EVERYONE 30% of their income... you will see them whining about how they should "not" pay that much but everyone else should...

Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
A perfect example of a fella being an accomplice in his own screwing.
What?

First, I'm not a "fella" but a woman. My husband has a job that doesn't provide health insurance. My job did. As you may (or may not) have heard, many of our tech support jobs have been "exported" overseas. That has left me without a job. I did not "screw myself" since I've never been in favor of NAFTA or the WTO.

Nevertheless, how was I an accomplice in my own screwing?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
What?

First, I'm not a "fella" but a woman. My husband has a job that doesn't provide health insurance. My job did. As you may (or may not) have heard, many of our tech support jobs have been "exported" overseas. That has left me without a job. I did not "screw myself" since I've never been in favor of NAFTA or the WTO.

Did you vote Bill Clinton into office? I think he passed NAFTA...

Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Yes, we do have access to some healthcare now, if you are impaled by a fence post after falling out of a tree, you can go to the emergency room and you will receive care. If I am a 45 year old woman seeking a mamogram, I might not have such an easy time.

As for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the first two seem fairly self explanatory, but the last term is vaguest phrase I have ever heard. Does that mean that I can dig ditches for the rest of my life making $10 a day, but as long as I'm trying to be happy, well then, all is good?! Very confusing.
It's the right to PURSUE happiness...meaning, it's your responsibility to achieve it.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Well, we shouldn't be paying for them to have the "most expensive cars" etc. BASIC Health care (I am not talking about plastic surgery or tooth veneers or bleaching here) should be a right in a country that has the resources this country has. Heck, they don't have a problem spending billions on a war that should have never happened, but somehow they fail to provide even very basic health care for it's citizens.
that is what government does. waste money, then ask for more. remember the border fence we gave like $50 million for. no fence, but where's the money? you think they have it in a mutual fund? lord I hope so.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
Quote:
What?

I'm in the exact same position (except I still have my job)! My DH is an IT worker, many of his jobs have been outsourced to India. He now has a consulting job with zero benefits, getting paid hourly. I work only for health insurance...

Sure, if the government gave everyone "free" healthcare I could stay home with my daughter...but I would never ask my neighbors to provide me with something I am quite capable of obtaining on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies