Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,497 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen this particular question and I am curious on people's opinions.

Do you feel that availability to healthcare is your "right" as an American?

If not, should it be?

Does morality factor into this at all? Is it relevant to the question of whether it is or is not a "right"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:49 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
everyone has access to health care. is the question about health care or health insurance? I happen to believe that we have 3 rights. life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. unfortunately, government has taken the first two of those, and have created federal departments to ensure the happiness of mankind at the expense of the successful.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:55 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,447,602 times
I think health care is a right. It's not fair that our elected officials have the best when there are so many Americans that go without.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,352 times
My family lost our health insurance when I lost my job. And yet, it isn't the government's place to provide health insurance or health care for my family. If government would slash its own size by at least 50% and stay out of every facet of our lives, I could afford to provide my own health care.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I think health care is a right. It's not fair that our elected officials have the best when there are so many Americans that go without.
they will still get the best, even if they provide low income people with the bare minimum. there will never be "universal health care."

Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
My family lost our health insurance when I lost my job. And yet, it isn't the government's place to provide health insurance or health care for my family. If government would slash its own size by at least 50% and stay out of every facet of our lives, I could afford to provide my own health care.
oh we could do much better than that. we could cut size and spending by at least 75% with no problem.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
everyone has access to health care. is the question about health care or health insurance? I happen to believe that we have 3 rights. life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. unfortunately, government has taken the first two of those, and have created federal departments to ensure the happiness of mankind at the expense of the successful.
Yes, we do have access to some healthcare now, if you are impaled by a fence post after falling out of a tree, you can go to the emergency room and you will receive care. If I am a 45 year old woman seeking a mamogram, I might not have such an easy time.

As for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the first two seem fairly self explanatory, but the last term is vaguest phrase I have ever heard. Does that mean that I can dig ditches for the rest of my life making $10 a day, but as long as I'm trying to be happy, well then, all is good?! Very confusing.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Exactly, I find it most interesting that our "elected officials" get the best of health care, paid for with our TAX money. If they get this paid for by our money, so should the rest of the population.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
I would love to cut federal spending.But please tell me by doing so how that's going to stop a insurance adjuster from doing his job of cutting costs(you) the most he can?

How is that going to make insurance accept everybody even people with high risk without breaking their savings?

Or how the cost of a hospital stay will slash by 75%....even 50%?

Insurance is big business,think they want to have less income or do away with malpractice insurance or have to pay for a 100K procedure?

Now most of the time as a consumer you can refuse a product,send a message that you are not willing to pay that high but when you are hurting the only thing you can think of is "please make it better".People will just not deny themselves care just because they don't want to pay that and insurance/hospitals know that.So those that can't pay may get emergency treatment but are in endless debt ever there after.Can you pay off 100K in medical bills without living in poverty because?Some can,many cannot.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Yes, we do have access to some healthcare now, if you are impaled by a fence post after falling out of a tree, you can go to the emergency room and you will receive care. If I am a 45 year old woman seeking a mamogram, I might not have such an easy time.

As for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the first two seem fairly self explanatory, but the last term is vaguest phrase I have ever heard. Does that mean that I can dig ditches for the rest of my life making $10 a day, but as long as I'm trying to be happy, well then, all is good?! Very confusing.
actually, the government has taken all of these rights from us. now they dictate our rights. if I was a gay man or woman, I couldn't get married or adopt. the government has been taking our rights throughout history in order to create sides, pitting americans against one another. then they act like they are doing us a favor by giving us a morsel of freedom to live our lives. I think if the government would get their noses out of health care, it might be less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies