Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,287,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
there is NO stopping global warming!

Well then, its ok if I buy that 68 Olds I have been eyeing in the classifieds?
Go ahead. Maybe you can turn it into a condo, and use the rent to buy gas...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,353,736 times
Great news. In that case, let the sacking continue! No need for responsible energy use!

Old 06-15-2008, 11:48 AM

403 posts, read 1,578,487 times
I read that we're having global cooling now.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,809,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Great news. In that case, let the sacking continue! No need for responsible energy use!
If you can afford it...

Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Notice that it will take many billions of years before our sun dies... our planet may or may not be doomed... We WILL colonize other planets before the sun reaches red giant stage ...
Thats funny. lets go colonize Mars, Saturn, heck, lets go out as far as Uranus, we'll then be saved if and when our sun dies..

Old 06-15-2008, 12:24 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,287,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats funny. lets go colonize Mars, Saturn, heck, lets go out as far as Uranus, we'll then be saved if and when our sun dies..
I say we invade and pacify Berkeley first.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,402,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Uhmmmm. It's impossible to stop global warming because it's part of a NATURAL warming and cooling pattern that has been going on since way before we were around. So stop getting wrapped around the axel about it and spend your time thinking about real problems, like the mess our country is in right now.
agree completely, and to add to this. Enjoy our warming period, its gonna be GREAT, after the fact is going to be a cooling period of iceageish proportions if history does indeed repeat itself.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:15 PM

I would love to try planetary terraforming... seems like fun! Although I wouldn't go to Mars... I would go to an entirely different solar system and start.. the Sun is going to kill everything here in this solar system, I might as well go to a younger solar system and build a colony.... I just hope Al Gore doesn't try to ruin it for everyone by saying colonizing other planets will cause this planet to undergo global cooling because we lose people and therefore have less body heat to heat the planet so he wants to impose a carbon credit system to encourage people who are releasing not enough carbon emissions... whatever B.S. floats his boat (and his wallet)...

Old 06-15-2008, 01:17 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,353,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I would love to try planetary terraforming... seems like fun! Although I wouldn't go to Mars... I would go to an entirely different solar system and start.. the Sun is going to kill everything here in this solar system, I might as well go to a younger solar system and build a colony.... I just hope Al Gore doesn't try to ruin it for everyone by saying colonizing other planets will cause this planet to undergo global cooling because we lose people and therefore have less body heat to heat the planet so he wants to impose a carbon credit system to encourage people who are releasing not enough carbon emissions... whatever B.S. floats his boat (and his wallet)...
Let's read a little less sci-fi, shall we?

We have a planet that's pretty suitable for human habitation. With a little careful use, it'll continue to be so for some time. Once we have it under control, then we can focus on voyages to far-off worlds.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:25 PM

Careful being the operative term... careful with energy usage.. fine... careful with decreasing CFC and mercury pollution... fine... careful with preserving water quality... fine... careful with sulfur emissions... fine... careful with bunk science of CO2 emissions? Heck NO! I would like to be careful, but when people tread into bunk science.. I can't take it... I understand the problems with sulfur gas, mercury, pesticides, and whatnot.. I read it, it makes perfect sense and I agree... but when I read about CO2 emissions (and I am a very educated person)... I am boggled by the "magical" science these people come up with... what astounds me is that the layperson doesn't even understand it but are vehemently defending it... its sort of like "religious faith" for them.. they just believe it... amazing what media hype can do... I love to have careful use of our world, I am all for it! But if that careful use is about bunk science... forget it... I rather have careful use on what we know is real already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies