Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:30 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,330,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Careful being the operative term... careful with energy usage.. fine... careful with decreasing CFC and mercury pollution... fine... careful with preserving water quality... fine... careful with sulfur emissions... fine... careful with bunk science of CO2 emissions? Heck NO! I would like to be careful, but when people tread into bunk science.. I can't take it... I understand the problems with sulfur gas, mercury, pesticides, and whatnot.. I read it, it makes perfect sense and I agree... but when I read about CO2 emissions (and I am a very educated person)... I am boggled by the "magical" science these people come up with... what astounds me is that the layperson doesn't even understand it but are vehemently defending it... its sort of like "religious faith" for them.. they just believe it... amazing what media hype can do... I love to have careful use of our world, I am all for it! But if that careful use is about bunk science... forget it... I rather have careful use on what we know is real already...
Well, even if you don't buy into CO2 (and I'm no scientist, so it'd be layman on layman if I were to attempt to convince you that it's a problem), heavy particulates that are a byproduct of fossil fuels are bad enough to try for a few lifestyle changes, in my opinion.

What do we gain by stubbornly holding onto fossil fuels? Not much.

Either way, the increased cost of the fuels is helping the market make some healthy decisions. I say we end oil subsidies and keep the party rolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 01:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,764,196 times
I say we end every subsidy... oil, ethanol, vegetables, all of it.. its no good to have taxpayers money paying someone for the the privilege of them working and taking all the profit... I love alternative energy as I see it as the future, not because of CO2 emissions... I think people should be working to become more independent of companies... alternative energy is a great way to do that... unfortunately with all the corruption going on... I don't see us putting enough money into solar and wind energy... its a shame... I don't think nuclear energy is "clean" either..

Old 06-15-2008, 10:50 PM

139 posts, read 433,456 times
If you think this is global warming, wait till the Bible's Revelations.

Revelation 16:9 "And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory."

What this means is that scorching heat will be used as a judgment against non-believers, and, most importantly, that God and God alone has the power over such calamities.

The global warming right now, is a cycle of the earth. Which Al Gore has pocketed millions of dollars. A proven fact is, Al Gore uses more power, then most 3rd world nations use in a year.

Al Gore refuses to answer the question of, why are other planets warming up in our solar system.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,216 times
Default Global Warming Exists/Doesn't Exist- No Matter

Yes/No/Maybe So... doesn't matter to me- it's just another challenge- life (and us) are adaptable- it (we) must be, because change is the only constant in nature and the universe; those who don't adapt go extinct, or are preserved in zoos, aboretums, and museums by those who can. If we lose our ability to adapt, we're finished as a species, being the highest order... so the issue for me is not if the earth warms or freezes over again (I just read that it was once a complete ice sheet, except at the equator where the continents were congregated), but who's going to adapt and who's going to lay down and die- as for preservationists- you can't keep the world static and under a bell jar...

Last edited by wbiro; 06-15-2008 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: cursed spelling...

Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 PM

189 posts, read 343,299 times
Here's something you should see: NASA warming scientist: "This is the last chance"

Basically, he is saying that Chicken Little is right and that if we don't do something VERY soon, the sky will fall.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:22 AM

24,478 posts, read 33,161,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
I read that we're having global cooling now.
I've read that, too. That readings suggest that the warming peaked in 1998 and there has been a slight cooling since then.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:35 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,394,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route_66_traveler View Post
If you think this is global warming, wait till the Bible's Revelations.

Revelation 16:9 "And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory."

What this means is that scorching heat will be used as a judgment against non-believers, and, most importantly, that God and God alone has the power over such calamities.

The global warming right now, is a cycle of the earth. Which Al Gore has pocketed millions of dollars. A proven fact is, Al Gore uses more power, then most 3rd world nations use in a year.

Al Gore refuses to answer the question of, why are other planets warming up in our solar system.
I think we should try to keep our planet as clean as possible. But in the same breath Gore is a hypocrite he like said is making big dough off this and is a energy hog!
If they are serious they live what they believe. His only interest is in the financial aspect of it. I wonder is this a case of America gave me the shaft so who cares? Hmmmmmmm.........

Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,575,874 times
Global temperature tracks atmospheric CO2 concentration with a fifty-year time lag. What you do now will effect your grandkids. What is more important, a consumerist mall binge or some responsibility for the next few generations?
I figure humans will survive. I do not have any idea exactly how many or where but I expect there will be fewer of us living on higher ground. I do not expect Homo Wal-Martis to have a chance. Enjoy the credit card party while you can. It will not last forever.
BTW – have you made arrangements to have your kids and grandkids learn Cantonese and Mandarin. They are going to need to know the languages of the future.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:56 AM

464 posts, read 658,906 times
Default I just purchased a chill pill offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I've read that, too. That readings suggest that the warming peaked in 1998 and there has been a slight cooling since then.
Average Global Temperature decreased 0.6 deg C in 2007, up about 0.2 deg C in 2008. The Global Cooling predictions are coming from the late start of Solar Cycle 24 which (I think) is something like 2 years late and has yet to start. There have been some false starts. If cycle 24 follows trend, its late start will result in reduced solar activity. There are similar predictions for Solar Cycle 25 for which it is believed that the peak will be around 2022.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 AM

464 posts, read 658,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
BTW – have you made arrangements to have your kids and grandkids learn Cantonese and Mandarin. They are going to need to know the languages of the future.
My kid's school actually does teach Mandarin Chinese. They teach them how to say:

1) "Your one-minute break is over"
2) "We are going to abort your child. You are only allowed one."
3) "That is an illegal web-site. Ban it."
4) "Your house is being repossessed by the People's Housing Authority."

and other such phrases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies