Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:01 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Is Oklahoma doing this so dirty old men can "marry" as many children as they want with no interference?

I'm not getting the connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'm not getting the connection.
OOOps, sorry, thinking Utah..

Old 06-16-2008, 07:02 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,945 times
Well, just to clear it up, I will make contact with both my senator and rep at the state level and ask where was this going.
Interesting thought..............I am hooked up with politics in this state........thats a lot of my day job.............and I hear about this on an internet blog..........................
It didn't even make it to the local paper and that also is interesting.
I promise.....iIwill get back to youse all.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Thank you, Convert. I'm anxious to know! I live vicariously through people in free states lol...

Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Well, just to clear it up, I will make contact with both my senator and rep at the state level and ask where was this going.
Interesting thought..............I am hooked up with politics in this state........thats a lot of my day job.............and I hear about this on an internet blog..........................
It didn't even make it to the local paper and that also is interesting.
I promise.....iIwill get back to youse all.
Washington Post shows nothing at all on the story, and they are all over any actions viewed as potentially impacting state/federal relationships.

Did a search yesterday and apparently this is something Oklahoma also declared in the 1993/1994/1995 timeframe, but I couldn't find a source document.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Hope many people and not just states take this course and I hope another state steps fourth. Let the Revolution begin and save our Constitution and Rights.
CampaignforLiberty.com

Last edited by LibertyandJusticeforAll; 06-16-2008 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
This nation is meant to be a collection of individual states with a weak federal government with little power over internal matters.

Nowadays w ehave the total opposite.

TO think a bureaucrat in DC knows what is best for the people of Oklahoma thousands of miles away is ludicrous.

And unfunded federla mandates,threats of blackmail do nothing to make the federal government see min the right.

By the way,a LOT of those federal funds are collected by the states and then passed on....if the federal government wanted to force states under the threat of witholding funds...well the states could do the same.

The PEOPLE of this nation need to wak up and realise what has been taken from them.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
States don't have "rights". People have rights and in a union, the Federal is supreme.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

The states were never supposed to be subordinate to the federal government. The federal government was simply supposed to administer things the states couldn't, and if there was a conflict between state and federal law, the federal would prevail. It was supposed to be an equal parternship, not slave-and-master. But we've all grown up in an era where the federal government is so powerful, we don't realize this anymore. So good for Oklahoma, for standing up for itself. It's about time someone does.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

The states were never supposed to be subordinate to the federal government. The federal government was simply supposed to administer things the states couldn't, and if there was a conflict between state and federal law, the federal would prevail. It was supposed to be an equal parternship, not slave-and-master. But we've all grown up in an era where the federal government is so powerful, we don't realize this anymore. So good for Oklahoma, for standing up for itself. It's about time someone does.
So many seem ignorant of how this nation is meant to be it is frightening.

Thank you for posting this.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
I was reading a bit about this the other night in terms of what this means and why a state would do this.

There seems to be a lot more mandates coming from the federal government these days. Oklahoma isn't the first to declare this from what I have read and it doesn't carry the direct implications many might take it as. It is an affirmation of the tenth amendment and a cease and desist of the actions of the Federal government and their mandates. For instance, New York did the same thing a while back concerning a disposal of toxic waste demand by the government. It was forcing New York to facilitate the disposal of the waste. New York declared sovereignty declaring to the federal government that it had no constituional right to mandate this upon the state. They still ended up facilitating it, but it was done so based on their allowance and not by an order from the federal government.

I think (haven't verified) that this may be due to many new programs being initiated at the federal level. For instance, the new movement to force states into providing alternate energy sources is a big one. Its a sloppy mandate which would be impractical for many states and would cause severe hardships on its people due to its blanket approach and impractical demands of the alternate methods required combined with the excessive penalties associated with failure to comply.

Also, in cases of illegal immigration where the Federal government has stepped in and interfered with the states attempt to resolve its own problems.

From what I have read, this isn't a "we are leaving", but rather a wrist slap and warning to the Federal government that they have over stepped their constituional bounds. It can lead to the state leaving the union, but it need not be the case.

Personally, I think all states should file this. Certainly all states have valid reasons to do so as the Federal government has overstepped its authority on many occasions in all states at different times.

It can backfire though as we have to remember that the Federal Government is its own entity by design. It can impose restrictions in funding and the like to a state in order to gain compliance. A state that does take this route needs to be prepared to deal with this strong arming by preparing for it.

While some might think the Federal government can simply walk in and grab control, that would be violation of the Constitution to do so. If the Federal government acted in such a way, that would in my opinion spark a list of states pulling out and forming up in defense as an act of war. At the very least it would be extreme chaos in political realms.

Personally, I think people have forgotten that the states are independent and that the Federal Government has limitations. I think the more and more national mandates we see from various (global demands) and the like, the more we will see this fact come to light. While some states will certainly embrace these mandates with open arms (as they are often center to their creation), many will resist and the true test of our organized government will be forth.

Some people feel very strongly about the infringement the Federal Government has imposed on the states and many of those people would be willing to fight for it. As Jefferson put it "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies