Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times

Advertisements

Go Oklahoma, Go!! (Cheers and whistles)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As I recall, from history, "states rights" lost that war and the Federal union won that war. The Federal government is supreme when it comes to the states because, as a union engaged in interstate commerce and business, what happens in one state affects other states. If Oklahoma were allowed to block the Trans Texas Highway (which BTW will most likely never be built anyway), it effects trade between Texas and Kansas. That is "interstate commerce". The same way that, if Kansas were to dam up the Arkansas River so Wichita could have all the water from it for their industrial base, it would affect commerce in Tulsa. Therefore the Federal government is supreme and should be.
When it comes to Real ID, Oklahoma does not need to comply with the Federal law. It can issue paper driver's licenses and IDs with no picture if it wishes. All it means is that Oklahoma citizens that want to get on a plane will have to obtain a passport.
Well we ALREADY have passports so why do we need the real ID? It's hogwash

Old 06-16-2008, 09:52 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
What surprises me most of all is that this didn't make the news.

I've never bought into the theories that the media was under anyone's control or influence but that it was simply a business that sold advertising based on sensationalism. Since a story like this could be stretched to all sorts of improbable positions, it would seem exactly the kind of thing the media would gobble up. It's not secession but it could easily be considered the first step to a secession. That seems pretty darn sensational and newsworthy to me. Yet nothing...curious.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Quote:
What is really funny to me is that the conservative types will argue that Oklahoma should be able to stop an INTERSTATE highway from being built to carry COMMERCE between states and between Mexico, the USA and Canada BUT they all applauded when the Supreme Court said that the Federal government can regulate marijuana that is planted, grown, packaged and sold completely within the confines of a single state (California). Seems to me that the conservatives need to re read the Constitution they claim to have so much affinity for.

I would agree that personal liberties such as marijuana usage should be state controlled not federal and I also think NATIONAL Soverignity is more important then someones right to smoke dope.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Oklahoma was a decent place at one time. My family is from there and I lived in the state for awhile when I was a kid (Grove and Blackwell). The state has steadily declined both economically and in the quality of life. Its once great and wonderful lakes have been overfished and polluted by the poultry farms that they are just wastelands now. Something like 94% of the lakes there are below minimum water standards. Not a place you'd want to swim. Aside from that the roads there are in bad to horrible shape and the state's finances will not allow them to be fixed.
Much of this damage has been done by industry and people from outside the state. They swarm in like carpetbaggers and pillage and destroy everything and then they go home. They bring the worst industry to Oklahoma and never consider the state for a corporate HQ site. Just a place to put polluting industry no other state wants. The final insult of course coming from another out of stater named Timothy McVeigh.
Despite having 2 large metro areas (Tulsa and OKC), the state never gets positive attention and still has never been considered for a professional sports team although cities with less people have them.
So you can kind of understand why Oklahomans tend to be pissed off. They have been used, abused and dumped on for too long.
Oklahomans themselves may not have much pride in their own environment. What are they thinking when in the 2007 Oklahoma Republican platform it says not in one but two places that animal waste should NOT be labeled as hazardous? And nobody I know of in the state seems to think this is outrageous to think in such a way. Obviously, Oklahomans what to make hog and chicken producers and the mess they make feel more welcomed than ever.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

I've never bought into the theories that the media was under anyone's control or influence but that it was simply a business that sold advertising based on sensationalism. Since a story like this could be stretched to all sorts of improbable positions, it would seem exactly the kind of thing the media would gobble up. It's not secession but it could easily be considered the first step to a secession. That seems pretty darn sensational and newsworthy to me. Yet nothing...curious.
Don't know the Oklahoma legal processes, but perhaps this is an unenforceable declaration. It doesn't have the "SB" or "HB" designations that I have seen associated with proposals which become law.

Oklahoma Legislature Home Page

Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

-Amendment 10

Secession is not prohibited. Find it in the Constitution if it is, big government supporters. Lincoln was a tyrant, he did not uphold the Constitution in the 1860's. The fact he was willing to sacrifice thousands and thousands of lives to hold onto power, didn't make him or his position right against states' rights. It made him a worthless piece of trash. Booth was a hero, Taney was a hero for defending habeas corpus, Lincoln was a brutal tyrant who imprisoned dissenters and murdered those who asserted their rights via an illegal war.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:05 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I've spent a couple of months in Lawton, I think you're safe.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/saywhatprairiedog-1-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-16-2008, 04:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oklahomans themselves may not have much pride in their own environment. What are they thinking when in the 2007 Oklahoma Republican platform it says not in one but two places that animal waste should NOT be labeled as hazardous? And nobody I know of in the state seems to think this is outrageous to think in such a way. Obviously, Oklahomans what to make hog and chicken producers and the mess they make feel more welcomed than ever.
You have a point but it is really sad to see what has happened to the place. People often talk about how bad off Michigan is but Oklahoma is not far behind in most categories. And to think that, at one time, I was actually planning to buy some land there and maybe move there.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 PM

532 posts, read 859,004 times
Thumbs down It sounds newsworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

I have wondered about this also. I haven't heard a thing on the tv news--or even the radio about this. Of course it is all over the internet. Most of the tv media is Liberal, and the radio media is mostly conservative. so I guess that has nothing to do with it. You also don't hear about third party candidates--like Ron Paul-on tv, and radio. Just online. Maybe someone on here knows why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies