Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:19 PM

12 posts, read 14,321 times

Advertisements

Meth is the number 1 drug in america by far. This is a problem that needs to be talk about more. What is going to happen to the kids who parents are addicted to meth. You think welfare is a problem in america now. With this epidemic in the next 5 to 10 years it will be alot worse.

DANIELSVILLE, Ga. --- Twice as many Madison County children could land in foster care this year, a trend social workers say is driven by the scourge of methamphetamine addiction.

The county already has placed 23 children in foster care this year compared with 24 children in all of last year, said Lisa Plank, the director of the Department of Family and Children Services for Madison and Oglethorpe counties. Those numbers don't include children who were placed with a relative.

"It's something we're seeing all over Georgia," Ms. Plank said. "Meth is such a difficult habit to kick that parents are getting to the point that they're losing their child and everything else as well."

Last year, Madison County DFACS investigated 434 reports of child abuse and neglect, Ms. Plank said, and most were about parents' drug addictions or domestic violence.

In the past few years, more than two-thirds of Georgia's family and children service agencies have had to provide additional training to employees to deal with the effects of meth use, according to the Georgia Alliance for Drug Endangered Children.

The Madison County Sheriff's Office breaks up a lot fewer meth labs today than it did two years ago, but meth addiction still is a problem in the rural county, Sheriff Clayton Lowe said.

Prescription medication is becoming the drug of choice in Madison County, Sheriff Lowe said. He worries deputies will soon start to see more children taken from their homes because their parents are too addicted to painkillers to take care of them.

Georgia like montana, penn, ohio, michigan, south & north dakota, iowa, indiana, texas, north and south carolina, tenn, kentucky, west va, arkansas, alabama, miss, and oregon. All these states have alot of poor white people living in rural areas.

GA county blames meth for extreme rise in foster care (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/061508/met_462255.shtml - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 03:55 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Not just the poor in all the states the article mentioned, but across the board, and across the spectrum of race, religion, politics as well. I understand it - meth - is as addictive as any drug, perhaps more so than all the others. I'm a clean machine for only those drugs which are prescribed to me by competent authority.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
A sad tale, and a common one. But one must still insist, "meth" isn't destroying these people....their use of meth is destroying thesmselves, their families, and their lives.

"Meth" is a chemical substance, like any other. It doesn't destroy anybody unless, they choose to get involved with it...OR have the misfortune to be involved with the 'users'. Sounds harsh and judgemental, but it's the truth.

Call it a 'tragedy' or a 'calamity'? Fine...but it's hard to cast blame. It's mostly a combination of personal bad decisions, and putting 'self' above family obligations.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:26 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A sad tale, and a common one. But one must still insist, "meth" isn't destroying these people....their use of meth is destroying thesmselves, their families, and their lives.

"Meth" is a chemical substance, like any other. It doesn't destroy anybody unless, they choose to get involved with it...OR have the misfortune to be involved with the 'users'. Sounds harsh and judgemental, but it's the truth.

Call it a 'tragedy' or a 'calamity'? Fine...but it's hard to cast blame. It's mostly a combination of personal bad decisions, and putting 'self' above family obligations.
Absolutely agreed!
If it weren't meth it would be coke or whiskey or gas fumes.....these self indulgent azzhats (known affectionatly as 'addicts' to you more liberal folk) are on a mission to self destruct, and they really don't care who they bring down with them. Their parents, spouse or children? They honestly could not care less. It is not their 'addiction' talking....it is them. They are to blame, and they are not deserving of pity.

And if it matters, one of my brothers in fed.prison for dealing meth. Trust me, the guy is 48 years old and has been doing drugs since he was 14. This is not his first stint in prison, either. Believe it or not, there are people who like drugs, like the lifestyle and like the irresponsibility that goes along with it.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:37 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
What I find interesting is how meth, despite being around for a long time, only blew up into a big issue fairly recently. You could buy the stuff from street-level drug dealers in America as early as the 1950's, and it became popular with long-haul truckers and other subsets through the 60's and 70's, but the first big eruption of usage wasn't until the 1980's - and even then, it mainly affected southern California.

It wasn't until the 1990's that meth really went nationwide, and not until this decade that people really began to notice.

It's kind of an interesting epidemic in that way. Sometimes I wonder what causes some drugs to surge in popularity while others decline. I mean, who uses PCP these days? And yet, not long ago, police and social workers were warning that PCP was "the new crack."

Old 06-15-2008, 05:42 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,242 times
I use to agree that people make the choice to abuse drugs and alcohol, and to some degree they do choose more than half of that decision to partake. But Drugs are addictive for a reason and family back ground comes into play also. If you parents were addicted to them, even if you are separated from them at birth you have a higher chance of becoming addicted yourself. I don't know what we should do about it, but we already seen what happened to crack in inner city communities, so we know what the outcome will be.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:42 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Lets blame the chemical.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Blame the chemical, but don't negate personal responsibility.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:05 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
What I find interesting is how meth, despite being around for a long time, only blew up into a big issue fairly recently. You could buy the stuff from street-level drug dealers in America as early as the 1950's, and it became popular with long-haul truckers and other subsets through the 60's and 70's, but the first big eruption of usage wasn't until the 1980's - and even then, it mainly affected southern California.

It wasn't until the 1990's that meth really went nationwide, and not until this decade that people really began to notice.

It's kind of an interesting epidemic in that way. Sometimes I wonder what causes some drugs to surge in popularity while others decline. I mean, who uses PCP these days? And yet, not long ago, police and social workers were warning that PCP was "the new crack."
The internet is the reason it became so popular. As internet use expanded in the 1990s people started to learn exactly how cheap it is to manufacture. At one time it took a chemist to make it but when instructions flooded the web, everybody started it. With a detailed set of instructions just about anyone can make just about anything. Most servers try to stop the spread of such instructions but you can still find it. I won't go into any details but the reason it's such a problem in farming communities is easy access to large quantities of certain compounds used extensively in farming. It's a bigger problem in farm communities than in cities because access to the needed compounds is much easier.

Price is the main reason for any surge or decline in popularity of any drug. Meth is really cheap to make. Supply and demand.

Some folks have the idea there is less crime in rural areas. Nope. It's just easier to get away with stuff in rural areas. Less people to see you doing stuff and less law enforcement. If there's no one to report a crime, it officially never happened. Folks generally bury their bodies out in the boonies because taking a pick-axe to the sidewalk will surely draw attention.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I didn't see any mention in your copyrighted article about all the meth users coming from Trailer Parks. Or was the title just sensationalized to draw people?

Also, the bottom line on that article about poor people in those states. Is Crap. Plain and simple. That's not where the meth problems are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies