Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,116,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Believe me, I am sincere when I say that I hope that I am totally wrong, that the report I read was missing vital information (not for the first time, sadly) and that there is hope for humankind.
It's times like these that I wish fervently for an afterlife just to know that the sob will suffer greatly for eternity.
I googled it yesterday because it struck such a cord with me. One news outlet reported that family had to travel a distance to identify the bodies. That raises so many "what ifs" about why the child was in the man's care. Surely there were signs before this happened.
I'm so profoundly sad about this horrible killing and yet part of me can't help but think that very few get bent out of shape over the atrocities that happen to babies all over the world and often at the hands of US policy. It makes me want to go listen to "Imagine" and pretend I'm in a different time and place where people really value human life and not just that of their "own".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,410,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Excuse me???? I'm sorry, but you are an embarrassment for talking about your fellow Americans in such a manner...
American? That's generous, IMO... purely a reference to location, rather than spirit, I'm sure.

Quote:
... this happened about 1 hour from me, and I ABSOLUTELY would've done anything in my power to stop it.
I'm sure... You'd have called the police... maybe thrown a blanket... feigned indignation?

Quote:
We're not heartless...
I know... You'd of been very compassionate to the needs of the criminal...

Next time you attack me personally, please do so via PM.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I think that people have a right to exist how they want so long as they don't intrude upon the rights of others.
Right has nothing to do with it. You think there are excuses for standing by while a baby is murdered-- which, IMO, encourages such cowardice-- I believe it's unacceptable.

That covers why I hate California and it's inhabitants and why you're trying to make excuses.

I responded to the rest, but when I came to this, it covered everything.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,752,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Right has nothing to do with it. You think there are excuses for standing by while a baby is murdered-- which, IMO, encourages such cowardice-- I believe it's unacceptable.

That covers why I hate California and it's inhabitants and why you're trying to make excuses.

I responded to the rest, but when I came to this, it covered everything.
I agree, standing buy while a murder occurs is unconceivable cowardice, my point is that we don't know the specifics. Sometimes, doing everything in your power isn't enough to stop a bad thing from happening, and the police officer obviously felt it necessary to use lethal force to stop the killer. If the bystanders did everything they could to stop the attack, and it wasn't enough, what could you or I have done differently?

I think the difference in our opinions is this: You feel the bystanders should have been able to stop the attack, and I feel that we don't know enough information to draw such a conclusion at this time.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I think the difference in our opinions is this: You feel the bystanders should have been able to stop the attack, and I feel that we don't know enough information to draw such a conclusion at this time.
That's right. In the real world-- this lesson I didn't learn until I lived on the left coast-- when you give permission for people to fail, as you're doing, you give a path for excuses. That leads to manipulation.

I don't have time to argue this anymore. It's not that important to me. The whole country that has exposure to the West coast hates you guys. It's not intended to be mean, it's just the truth. It's because of the manipulation that you tolerate and you've described your support of the mechanisms that perpetuate it.

Take the last word.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,627,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I googled it yesterday because it struck such a cord with me. One news outlet reported that family had to travel a distance to identify the bodies. That raises so many "what ifs" about why the child was in the man's care. Surely there were signs before this happened.
I'm so profoundly sad about this horrible killing and yet part of me can't help but think that very few get bent out of shape over the atrocities that happen to babies all over the world and often at the hands of US policy. It makes me want to go listen to "Imagine" and pretend I'm in a different time and place where people really value human life and not just that of their "own".
Not everything has a geopolitical slant. A baby was murdered in full view of witnesses who possibly didn't do all that they could to stop it. That is what this thread is about. Babies being murdered by shiites or sunnis or tutus or croats or north korean police or or or or or or or or.......does not take away from the point that this baby had the potential to be saved. And that is what is disturbing, not that the baby was 'one of ours'.

Really, who are you to hold yourself above other people because you 'see' the big picture? What on Earth makes you believe that you are the only one with that ability? While listening to John Lennon wax poetically about universal respect and kindness -- bear in mind that when he wrote that song he was not treating his son Julian Lennon with respect, kindness, love or affection. People are complex, and to pretend otherwise i.e. 'I'm enlightened while you are an ugly American' is extremely shallow of you.

Last edited by camping!; 06-18-2008 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: wrong sons name

Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,402,383 times
I wish I could rep you sister but they say I gotta spread the love...

Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,720,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
That's right. In the real world-- this lesson I didn't learn until I lived on the left coast-- when you give permission for people to fail, as you're doing, you give a path for excuses. That leads to manipulation.

I don't have time to argue this anymore. It's not that important to me. The whole country that has exposure to the West coast hates you guys. It's not intended to be mean, it's just the truth. It's because of the manipulation that you tolerate and you've described your support of the mechanisms that perpetuate it.

Take the last word.
If the killer lived he would have had to face the 9th. Curcuit Court of Appeals,
with his ACLU attorney by his side. Case closed !!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,624,680 times
Mr. One Thousand is engaging in what is known as "trollery," the act of making false but deliberately provocative statements on the internet to rile people up.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,116,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Not everything has a geopolitical slant. A baby was murdered in full view of witnesses who possibly didn't do all that they could to stop it. That is what this thread is about. Babies being murdered by shiites or sunnis or tutus or croats or north korean police or or or or or or or or.......does not take away from the point that this baby had the potential to be saved. And that is what is disturbing, not that the baby was 'one of ours'.

Really, who are you to hold yourself above other people because you 'see' the big picture? What on Earth makes you believe that you are the only one with that ability? While listening to John Lennon wax poetically about universal respect and kindness -- bear in mind that when he wrote that song he was not treating his son Julian Lennon with respect, kindness, love or affection. People are complex, and to pretend otherwise i.e. 'I'm enlightened while you are an ugly American' is extremely shallow of you.
Whoa, pushed a button did I? You are basing your arguement on facts that live only in your righteous indignation. You weren't there. You didn't even research the incident. You just started spewing about who shoulda coulda woulda. I'm not trying to take away from this baby being murdered. But, it's my right to see the "big picture" as you call it. It's my responsibility as an American and a human being to speak up when I see something as wrong or unjust - just as it is your right to jump too all kinds of assumptions about a situation you know nothing about. However, we do know about what is happening globally and we make a conscious choice to turn a blind eye. To me, it's no different than those alleged bystanders. Where is the outrage for that is all I'm asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies