Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should This Be A Crime: Woman accused of taking part in a MySpace hoax that ended in a 13-year-old g
It Should NOT Be A Crime. 9 15.25%
It should be just a federal crime 5 8.47%
It should be just a state crime 6 10.17%
It should be both a state and federal crime 28 47.46%
Not Sure 9 15.25%
Children below 18 years old should NOT be on the internet 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times

Advertisements

This should not be a crime period. We don't need a bunch of dubious internet laws invading the books. Maybe it wasn't very nice and a somewhat immature thing for an adult woman to do, but that girl committed suicide all on her own. Her emotional fragility is more the product of her upbringing, perhaps we should put the responsible parties for that on trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
If she was a nut case, why did her mom allow her on a social netowrking site and why did her mom not investigate and review what she was doing?

The only thing in this is that it was an adult that posed as a kid, it could have very well been a kid himself that would do this, and yes, kids are mean and will do cruel things.

So if it was a kid, should the kid be charged?

What exaclty was the crime? Violating Myspace rules is not a crime, it was not cyber stalking as they were mutally in agreeance with conversing with each other. Pushing someone over the edge is not a crime.

The only crime that was committed here was by the negligent parent of the victim.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
she made a calculated effort with malicious intent to cause this girl harm (psychologically). Im sure they can tag her on a "conspiracy to commit *fill in the blanks*" charge.

The real issue is how pathetic this womans life must have been to be wrapped up in some internet teenage suburban melodrama.
I agree!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:22 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
This mom should be held accountable for her actions and so should her daughter and her friends!!!

My daughter was stalked and sexual herrassed online and we found out who it was. The police was involved but at that time the law wasn't in place and not much could be done. For a teenager and the parents that is a scarry thing when you don't know who is behind it. The boy in our case was from a welthy family and could get away because of his parents money. The private school didn't want to lose the money that this family was paying and our daughter was there on a sholarship....
We never experienced cyper bullying but sexual herrassement is bad enough.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Stalking and harassment are crimes. Willing conversation between a teenage girl and what she believed to be a teenage boy is neither of those. I can't think of any laws against lying on the internet. I'm sure I won't get arrested and hauled off to jail for saying, "I have a pink dinosaur pet who can sing the ABC's!" At most, maybe a psych ward.

If there's no laws against it, then there's nothing that can be done except to create laws. That is why Missourri is currently working on enacting laws against harassment on the internet.

I feel sorry for the parents for their loss... but this should be a lesson for all parents to keep an eye on their children more. And when the laws pass, future children should be protected.

Personally, I think Myspace might want to crack down on the messages and bulletins that get posted. That is, before they get sued.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
..."I have a pink dinosaur pet who can sing the ABC's!"...
But what about the person who is terrified of pink dinosaurs and believes they exist and are coming after her. You're aware she believes in such things and you push her further, just to see out crazy she gets.

Your post causes her such fear that she suffers a heart attack.

Perhaps you were just kidding. Maybe you were just messing with her to see how she reacted.

But she took it seriously.

The circumstances above are obviously silly but not unlike the situation we're looking at here.

The mother obviously was being mean and manipulative; but do you truly believe, as cruel as she seemed to be, that she intended the girl to kill herself?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
The mother obviously was being mean and manipulative; but do you truly believe, as cruel as she seemed to be, that she intended the girl to kill herself?
Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn't matter either way if there's no law against such actions on the internet. It's immoral to have done what she did - but Missourri had no laws on the books.

And it's not like you can create laws after an act has been committed and then charge a person with that crime.....

Old 06-17-2008, 01:35 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
Teenagers are not adults and do not think like them, that is why they are still under guardianship of their parents. Teenage girls can feel like it is the end of the world if they get a zit on their face. Having boyfriends breaking up with you is painfull.
The way I understood this story is that this adult woman set up a myspace to pretend she was a teenage boy and slowly gained his trust and of course thought she was in love, then he started saying horrible things to her. I totally think the woman that did this should serve time.
I had a job one time when I had to go and remove an 8year old little boy that hung himself in his closet because he could not take the harrassment any longer at school.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Teenagers are not adults and do not think like them, that is why they are still under guardianship of their parents. Teenage girls can feel like it is the end of the world if they get a zit on their face. Having boyfriends breaking up with you is painfull.
The way I understood this story is that this adult woman set up a myspace to pretend she was a teenage boy and slowly gained his trust and of course thought she was in love, then he started saying horrible things to her. I totally think the woman that did this should serve time.
I had a job one time when I had to go and remove an 8year old little boy that hung himself in his closet because he could not take the harrassment any longer at school.
And were the bully's held accountable? I understand that this is a horrible woman, but if it had a been a real boy and the girl did the same thing, would he be liable for her death? I understand that there was a situation, but I really do not understand her parents and find them culpable too.
When my kids were on the net, I had full access to what they said and did or they did not get on. When they turned 16, we had an arrangement, that I would not check as much, but I would check with them present. I respected them and they respected me, but I was always aware of what was happening. I used to tell them that they told me stuff I should not hear until they were 40, when I could then feign surprise and say I cannot believe you did that!!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I agree this woman should be held accountable but doubt there si a crime .But she certqinly can be held accountable in civil court.Otherwsie we better start procecuting alot of rap aritst for their influence in rapes and other crimes.The crime a teenager and a adult are the same but how their handled;puinshment.One child may have hund himself but mst do not.Many times that indicates that the chid needed help long before.Mst in those cases are more like to strikeout against others violently than to committ suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies