Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Interesting perspective, thanks for the insights.

My view of Katrina was that it was a failure at multiple levels. Ray Nagin certainly had the most to do with ensuring that help was provided, and didn't do his job. On the other hand, looking at the governors of Mississippi and Louisiana we certainly see a difference in "rolling the sleeves up and getting involved". But I certainly wouldn't give FEMA a pass on this at all, they did an absolutely horrible job of coordinating initial assistance to the area. FEMA was a total disgrace in New Orleans.

However, showing a picture with McCain and associating him with Katrina is just downright silly partisanship.
FEMA is a disgrace because it's a government organization. they tried to make up for it by giving all those criminals in new orleans those government debit cards. they didn't check to see who was getting the cards, they just gave them to everyone. just threw them away. that is literally the definition of a wasteful government. I know someone who is a millionaire, and owned a condo in new orleans. he received a government debit card despite the fact that he lost nothing. it took him 1.5 years to get FEMA to accept the money back. in my hurricane town, all the escape routes are clearly marked. I have all the insurance I need. we know how to be efficient in this town. nagin had the tools he needed at his disposal. oh, and are you accusing UPTON of being a democrat??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:59 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
I wonder how much of the FEMA problems were due to their being folded into Homeland Security. I know that when reorganizations take place emphasis is altered, and I wonder if some of FEMA's budget and assets were reallocated towards other Homeland Security elements.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I wonder how much of the FEMA problems were due to their being folded into Homeland Security. I know that when reorganizations take place emphasis is altered, and I wonder if some of FEMA's budget and assets were reallocated towards other Homeland Security elements.
homeland security is a mess. they still can't get it together. their budget must be astronomical. if you check out their website, they have thousands of jobs. they can't function efficiently now, so I guess more spending is the answer. nagin should have just bused the people out. he should have done it days before. I agree with you that it was a mess on all levels.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:40 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Bush and FEMA were slow to react during Katrina, due primarily to incompetence and a failure by a GOP administration to see a pressing need to help a city made up of a minority that doesn't vote for them.
So I guess that means Nagin and Blanco are off the hook.

Well allrightee!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:41 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Bush and McCain laughing it up and eating cake as people died during Katrina.

Man, you got a case of the BDS real bad.

Now, go read a book while the adults are talking.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
hmmmm, interesting. so the city evacuated people, kind of like the way a city is supposed to. ray nagin is a disgrace. I wonder if those in iowa city are going to demand FEMA trailers for the next 3 years and demand government debit cards, even if they didn't lose anything. george bush and FEMA weren't the disgrace during katrina, new orleans was.
I am quite sure that they will need trailers and help for awhile- and I think we should give it to them. But Bush was a disgrace during Katrina. He was a damn disgrace. He sat there and watched as elderly people and sick people in hospitals were left to die. OK I might agree that alot of the healthy people in NOLA took advantage of things. But that will never excuse the United States government abandoning the elderly and the sick to die there. And it should never happen in this country again. You don't abandon the helpless- the old, the ill, children- and leave them to die.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am quite sure that they will need trailers and help for awhile- and I think we should give it to them. But Bush was a disgrace during Katrina. He was a damn disgrace. He sat there and watched as elderly people and sick people in hospitals were left to die. OK I might agree that alot of the healthy people in NOLA took advantage of things. But that will never excuse the United States government abandoning the elderly and the sick to die there. And it should never happen in this country again. You don't abandon the helpless- the old, the ill, children- and leave them to die.
ray nagin had hundreds of buses at his disposal to evacuate his city. if idiots like his keep screw up and blaming the federal government, he is going to take ALL the power from the states. he is the disgrace. he is ruining it for responsible states.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
So I guess that means Nagin and Blanco are off the hook.

Well allrightee!
No they are not but city and state resources cannot even begin to deal with a disaster of that magnitude. Not the loss of a whole city and thousands of people trapped and in grave danger from floods that were caused by the failure of a FEDERAL levee system that should not have failed. Blanco and Nagin both could have done things better but Bush could have done alot more. When there is a disaster like that ANYWHERE in the country, the President should be on the phone to the state and local people NOW saying "I am sending in the Army, Air Force and military medics- what else do you need there?"

Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
ray nagin had hundreds of buses at his disposal to evacuate his city. if idiots like his keep screw up and blaming the federal government, he is going to take ALL the power from the states. he is the disgrace. he is ruining it for responsible states.
I don't know the whole story about the buses. I have heard that, yes they were there, but the people that drive them had left. And not just anybody can drive a bus- you have to have a special CDL license to drive one. Never the less, I am not letting Nagin off the hook either. But there is no city in the USA of a million people that could be destoryed and not require massive Federal assistance- both in rescue and recovery. If Bush would have got the Army in there the next day- like he should have- and got those hospitals evacuated, many lives would have been saved.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
No they are not but city and state resources cannot even begin to deal with a disaster of that magnitude. Not the loss of a whole city and thousands of people trapped and in grave danger from floods that were caused by the failure of a FEDERAL levee system that should not have failed. Blanco and Nagin both could have done things better but Bush could have done alot more. When there is a disaster like that ANYWHERE in the country, the President should be on the phone to the state and local people NOW saying "I am sending in the Army, Air Force and military medics- what else do you need there?"
where I live, we get more hurricanes than any place else. we don't have problems. people here aren't idiots here. we have evacuation routes. if it looks bad, get out of town. you might sit in traffic for a while, but you can get out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies