Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:00 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
And not just anybody can drive a bus- you have to have a special CDL license to drive one
I doubt very seriously, given the circumstances, that anyone would have given a rats a** whether you had a CDL to drive a bus to get the heck out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
where I live, we get more hurricanes than any place else. we don't have problems. people here aren't idiots here. we have evacuation routes. if it looks bad, get out of town. you might sit in traffic for a while, but you can get out of town.
As well you should but if you are 75 years old or sick in a hospital or a 6 year old who's folks don't have a car, it is not that easy to just up and leave. And some us- like myself- have jobs that require that we remain and be available for disaster duty. I would send my family out but I have to stay and face whatever might come.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
Quote:
As well you should but if you are 75 years old or sick in a hospital or a 6 year old who's folks don't have a car, it is not that easy to just up and leave. And some us- like myself- have jobs that require that we remain and be available for disaster duty. I would send my family out but I have to stay and face whatever might come.
it's easy. as the mayor of a city, you have to take charge. nagin waited too long. we agree that there is enough blame to be spread around, but we need to place blame on the citizens of NO as well. it's crazy how dependent on the government some of these people are. most of the other areas in the gulf coast did a much better job of reaction and recovery. I think a lot needs to be said about the citizens of the city.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The basic fact remains thatthe Feds paid for a fifteen day conference wre new orleans officals drewup a evacution plan just like so many other places.There was a plan that included the use of all bues and the evacuation of nursing home and hospitals, But tehn they failed to do anythig with the plan so as to be able to implimentit. That is local emergency officals fault and then the governor was in chearge of calling the evacutation. balnco failed to do it soon enough;even after the president called and ask her to do it. That turned a disaster into a tragedy.Now they continue to fail and Blanco and the city officals have lefta mess. The stae guy that has to certify that the federal money ws spent as pre federal law is in trouble and being investiagtes.Were I live in Txas 97% of the county was evacuated for Rita. It took every school bus ;bues for hundreds of miles;evry ambulance service in half of Texas but in was done. A plan means nothing if you don't do anyhting with it is the key.Emergency officals and Blanco uttely failed.Even now N O is being failed by state and local officals not acting in the cleanup arguing over politics.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 PM

27 posts, read 74,555 times
I'm glad you made that point Vacationer!! Yes, Katrina, was bigger than New Orleans. What are people really saying here?? (Sarcastic) It's so obvious.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The basic fact remains thatthe Feds paid for a fifteen day conference wre new orleans officals drewup a evacution plan just like so many other places.There was a plan that included the use of all bues and the evacuation of nursing home and hospitals, But tehn they failed to do anythig with the plan so as to be able to implimentit. That is local emergency officals fault and then the governor was in chearge of calling the evacutation. balnco failed to do it soon enough;even after the president called and ask her to do it. That turned a disaster into a tragedy.Now they continue to fail and Blanco and the city officals have lefta mess. The stae guy that has to certify that the federal money ws spent as pre federal law is in trouble and being investiagtes.Were I live in Txas 97% of the county was evacuated for Rita. It took every school bus ;bues for hundreds of miles;evry ambulance service in half of Texas but in was done. A plan means nothing if you don't do anyhting with it is the key.Emergency officals and Blanco uttely failed.Even now N O is being failed by state and local officals not acting in the cleanup arguing over politics.
Although I am a solid Democrat, I am not sad to see Blanco gone and that new guy who seems to be a more "in charge" type. He seems pretty sharp and I don't hand out compliments to Republicans very much.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times
Thank goodness for General Honore.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Save Me Government!!! We Be Stuck In A Big City And Can't Get Out.

These folks are the victims of government subsidies. By giving unrestricted handouts to the poor, you create dependence to the state. Government provided housing, income, schools, medical care, ect... to all of these dead beats. It was engrained as a lifestyle after generations spent their lives on the government dole. Yes, the federal government is at fault by creating people that wouldn't even leave New Orleans with a major hurricane bearing down on them. They are at fault for creating "victims".

Last edited by Philosophizer; 06-16-2008 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
No they are not but city and state resources cannot even begin to deal with a disaster of that magnitude. Not the loss of a whole city and thousands of people trapped and in grave danger from floods that were caused by the failure of a FEDERAL levee system that should not have failed. Blanco and Nagin both could have done things better but Bush could have done alot more. When there is a disaster like that ANYWHERE in the country, the President should be on the phone to the state and local people NOW saying "I am sending in the Army, Air Force and military medics- what else do you need there?"
Bush doesnot make the decision to send out the mililtary to the states. The state (in the form of the governor - asked by the mayor) asks the military in. Bush cannot do it, it is against protacol as Blanco and Nagin knew well. In fact I believe that the national guard was ready to move in, and were told by blanco -no.
God knows there is much to blame bush for......but NO? No, that is entirely on Nagin and Blanco.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,742 times
The main issue isn't who messed up and how badly (to the OP) but the differences between Iowa and NOLA. From Katrina to Rita to the California Wildfires to (fill in the blank) to now, FEMA has had to progress on a very steep learning curve. Many people will speculate that race was the motivating factor in FEMA's failure at NOLA. It wasn't. Many aspects of of the response were poorly implimented. Political positioning by many self-serving oficials still hinder the progress there. Hopefully we have learned how to help, whom to help and when to help victims of a natural disaster. Hopefully if California ever has "The Big One" (with no advance warning, no where to evacuate and many resources distroyed) we will able to respond in an appropriate manner. I don't give FEMA or Bush a pass in NOLA's case, there is just plenty of ineptness to be passed around on all levels. But the primary responsibility of how an event will effect an induvidual is that of the induvidual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies