Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:32 AM

384 posts, read 1,710,016 times

Advertisements

Americans are now crossing over the boarder to Tijuana Mexico for cheaper gas; whould it be justification if Mexico implements border control to prevent this from happening, even if it helps boost their economy?

Drivers head to Mexico for $2.54 a gallon gas - MSNBC Wire Services - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:51 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Unless the Americans are taking up residence and scabbing work then why would they care? They are leaving after filling up, right?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 AM

384 posts, read 1,710,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Unless the Americans are taking up residence and scabbing work then why would they care? They are leaving after filling up, right?
Ahh I bet if gas was cheaper here and the Mexicans were crossing the border to fill up the attitude would be different however.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:16 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Ahh I bet if gas was cheaper here and the Mexicans were crossing the border to fill up the attitude would be different however.
I would bet you are right, Americans would throw a fit.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:36 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
I'm not sure why Mexico would want to "stop" people from briefly entering its country to spend money, and then leave. How does this 'hurt' Mexico?

I'm reminded of a situtation LONG ago. We had a very VERY serious 'gas crisis'...long lines @ the pumps, stations running out of 'product', even occasional 'punches' at the pump. NOT a pretty situation. Even late night TV comedians had endless "gas crisis" jokes.

Right in the midst of all this, often large "PEMEX" tanker trucks could be seen in Southern Cal, headed to Tijuana. "How come we're sending all that gas to Mexico, and running out of our OWN?" was the frustrated cry.

The answer was simple. "Mexico" (in the person of its government distributor "Petroleos Mexicanos" (PEMEX) already OWNED the gas in those trucks. It had little or no refining capacity in its "remote" Northwest corner (Tijuana, Ensenada, Mexicali), and this region of Mexico relied on the nearby American refineries at Wilmington (LA harbor). In these refineries, PEMEX had guaranteed, contracted capacity, and already had ownership of the product, even before it arrived by sea, was refined, and was then trucked out. Nobody was "giving gas to Mexico", though it may have looked that way.

Once again, I see no reason Mexico should object to people buying its gasoline at its pumps. Isn't that what every business wants..customers?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm not sure why Mexico would want to "stop" people from briefly entering its country to spend money, and then leave. How does this 'hurt' Mexico?

I'm reminded of a situtation LONG ago. We had a very VERY serious 'gas crisis'...long lines @ the pumps, stations running out of 'product', even occasional 'punches' at the pump. NOT a pretty situation. Even late night TV comedians had endless "gas crisis" jokes.

Right in the midst of all this, often large "PEMEX" tanker trucks could be seen in Southern Cal, headed to Tijuana. "How come we're sending all that gas to Mexico, and running out of our OWN?" was the frustrated cry.

The answer was simple. "Mexico" (in the person of its government distributor "Petroleos Mexicanos" (PEMEX) already OWNED the gas in those trucks. It had little or no refining capacity in its "remote" Northwest corner (Tijuana, Ensenada, Mexicali), and this region of Mexico relied on the nearby American refineries at Wilmington (LA harbor). In these refineries, PEMEX had guaranteed, contracted capacity, and already had ownership of the product, even before it arrived by sea, was refined, and was then trucked out. Nobody was "giving gas to Mexico", though it may have looked that way.

Once again, I see no reason Mexico should object to people buying its gasoline at its pumps. Isn't that what every business wants..customers?
You don't see how American cars adding to the lines at the pump would upset some in Mexico?

It certainly would upset Americans if it were Mexicans driving their F150s in to refuel.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You don't see how American cars adding to the lines at the pump would upset some in Mexico?

It certainly would upset Americans if it were Mexicans driving their F150s in to refuel.
From THAT angle, I see your point. What might delight the businessman might frustrate his customers. I ALSO can see some parallels that SOME of us might want to make, about other 'cross-border' business-related phenomena. Before we DO, though, lets make it clear that these American "gas hogs" slowing up the gas lines, are going to eventually turn around and leave the country....probably in the next hour.

NOW....if anyone wants to make comparisons with anything, I'm listening.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
From THAT angle, I see your point. What might delight the businessman might frustrate his customers. I ALSO can see some parallels that SOME of us might want to make, about other 'cross-border' business-related phenomena. Before we DO, though, lets make it clear that these American "gas hogs" slowing up the gas lines, are going to eventually turn around and leave the country....probably in the next hour.

NOW....if anyone wants to make comparisons with anything, I'm listening.
Mac the question is: If the tables were flipped, and Mexicans were coming in to America to refuel their "gas guzzlers" how do you think that would be received by Americans? Seeing Mexican plates clogging their pumps?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Quote:

It would be a blessing if Mexicans were crossing the border to fuel up their F150s then going back home. DUH

Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Mac the question is: If the tables were flipped, and Mexicans were coming in to America to refuel their "gas guzzlers" how do you think that would be received by Americans? Seeing Mexican plates clogging their pumps?
American gas station owners would be thrilled. They'd quickly put up signs in Spanish, have weekend sales including 'balloons for the muchacitos' and perhaps a few mariachis....maybe even complimentary barbecue...

Some American customers would grumble. They'd fume in line, trading gripes as they slowly 'inched' forward in line, remembering the "good old days" when buying gas was simple. They'd complain of the Mexicans' gas-guzzlers polluting the air, they'd complain about the mariachis, they'd complain about having to "hear Spanish all day". They'd blame the situation on the Mexicans' "not controlling their OWN gas supply, or they wouldn't have to come over here and bother US".

At the same time, OTHER American customers would be thrilled. As they waited in line, they'd compliment thesmselves on having an interesting "cross-cultural experience". Many would purchase paperback dictionaries in order to try to learn a few phrases of "gas-pump Spanish". ("Llenelo, por favor--sin plomo---gracias y mucho gusto").They'd say it was SO much more interesting buying gas NOW, and so much more "diverse", than the "old" way gas used to be sold. They'd cal the time waiting in line at the pump "time well spent".

Some Americans would react well, while others would be grumpy...Other than that, I'm missing your point, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies