Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:21 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times

Advertisements

The Volt will be awesome. It has an electric motor with about an 80 mile range, as well as a backup gas-engine. Unfortunately, I'm sure it will be very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 03:23 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
The Volt will be awesome. It has an electric motor with about an 80 mile range, as well as a backup gas-engine. Unfortunately, I'm sure it will be very expensive.
I don't know. they are going to want to sell them. they might sell them at a loss. I would think that they would be well below $50,000. I wouldn't be surprised if they were less than $40,000. over the life of the car, you would save a ton of money in gas.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
check out the honda cr-z. I bet that will be $20,000 or less and will get close to 70mpg.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Hydrogen and ethanol fuels ARE NOT the answer... consider that the oil companies need oil to sell... who do you think will sell hydrogen and ethanol?? Consider electric and solar panels... who sells that? The sun gives it to you for free... buy an electric car and recharge it with FREE fuel... courtesy of the sun... yet there is almost no investment into increasing the efficiency of solar panels... why is that? Utility companies, ethanol farmers, oil companies... all of them can't sell you something, you can make yourself for free... its plain obvious they are only trying to substitute oil for ethanol or hydrogen because they want to make money off of you... end these dang subsidies and start investing in what America NEEDS... increase our solar panel efficiency...

Old 06-16-2008, 03:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Hydrogen and ethanol fuels ARE NOT the answer... consider that the oil companies need oil to sell... who do you think will sell hydrogen and ethanol?? Consider electric and solar panels... who sells that? The sun gives it to you for free... buy an electric car and recharge it with FREE fuel... courtesy of the sun... yet there is almost no investment into increasing the efficiency of solar panels... why is that? Utility companies, ethanol farmers, oil companies... all of them can't sell you something, you can make yourself for free... its plain obvious they are only trying to substitute oil for ethanol or hydrogen because they want to make money off of you... end these dang subsidies and start investing in what America NEEDS... increase our solar panel efficiency...
We disagree here evil, I see solar electric generating panels going up all around my area right now:

Lennar SOLARplus

Sacramento Solar Power by REC Solar Power Company - Solar Energy for Sacramento, Solano, More (http://recsolar.com/cm/Local%20Communities/Greater%20Sacramento/northern-CA-solar-homes.html - broken link)

Old 06-16-2008, 03:46 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Thats cool, but I have a question. What progress are the making in terms of the economic viability of hydrogen production and its current barriers required to produce it?
Not sure the status of Hydrogen technology TODAY, but as of 2004, the story was as follows:
- Hydrogen. Most abundant element. Separating it from other elements costly. Key is how to use solar to crack hydrogen out of water, the holy grail of free energy. Storing and moving this unstable element requires whole new infrastructure. It’s decades away.
- Hydrogen cars. Current GM demo cars are $5M a copy. Hydrogen fuel cells require costly elements like platinum, driving up prices. Decades away, not 2010 like GM opined.

This info is from "The Oil Factor" by Stephen Leeb, 2004. A lot may have changed in 4 years, but the above is HIS opinion.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
honda is great. they also have the natural gas car coming out, as well as the new cr-z hybrid (which looks awesome). they are at the forefront thus far. they need to get more natural gas and hydrogen fueling stations. also be on the look out for the new chevy volt. that has a ton of promise.
Yeah, Honda is out in the front of the pack. But my question is have any of you heard about the chip Toyota is supposed to have right now that makes their newer vehicles on the market now get close to 100 miles to the gallon. It is supposed to be in use in Japan and some other countries but the money hungry oil giants and car dealers in the US have restricted that technology. This is second hand info. from a conversation with some friends. I have not really researched it myself. Have any of you heard anything like this?

Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Yeah, Honda is out in the front of the pack. But my question is have any of you heard about the chip Toyota is supposed to have right now that makes their newer vehicles on the market now get close to 100 miles to the gallon. It is supposed to be in use in Japan and some other countries but the money hungry oil giants and car dealers in the US have restricted that technology. This is second hand info. from a conversation with some friends. I have not really researched it myself. Have any of you heard anything like this?
I have not heard this, but it wouldn't surprise me. I also have heard about a new volkswagon, can't remember what it's called, that gets over 200mpg. technology is coming. the oil companies days are numbered and they don't like it.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I saw a program about this. But in the end the infrastruture to distribute hydrogen will be a long time in coming and a huge expense. In fact few want to put their money on this making any profit in the near future ;so it looks like it is in the governments court.Any groups of investors can be in the game but none want to be it's such a huge cost item and big risk is the real truth.Then any profits are decades away.Has nothing to do with big oil or the auto companies.The governamnt itself has bet on wind power;methnol and better gas milage. They do thsi by incentives which they haven't for hydrogen ;if that wouild encourage any one.Even getting hydrogen cars to market once the fuel is avilable will mean it cost more than oil to recover the cost alone over centuries.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Not sure the status of Hydrogen technology TODAY, but as of 2004, the story was as follows:
- Hydrogen. Most abundant element. Separating it from other elements costly. Key is how to use solar to crack hydrogen out of water, the holy grail of free energy. Storing and moving this unstable element requires whole new infrastructure. It’s decades away.
- Hydrogen cars. Current GM demo cars are $5M a copy. Hydrogen fuel cells require costly elements like platinum, driving up prices. Decades away, not 2010 like GM opined.

This info is from "The Oil Factor" by Stephen Leeb, 2004. A lot may have changed in 4 years, but the above is HIS opinion.
Interesting, maybe things have gotten better as you said, I haven't looked into it since the status quo was as you mentioned.

I am all for continuing to develop new things, but I am worried that we might start sinking money into a pit that won't be realized in any economically suitable fashion.

This was the issue with these alternate fuel sources back then before everyone got their panties in a bunch to "save the earth". While I am sure there were and are some road blocks due to no "demand" for the new technology (companies being content with the current products), the tin foil theory of companies hiding secrets in dark basements of Warp engines and Teleporting devices was always a rather naive position in my opinion.

Its good we are looking into things, but I am concerned half informed wacko groups pushing the public might get unreasonable demands placed on our businesses out there creating economic instability. Much like the current proposals on alternate energy infrastructures being pushed which are not viable in many states. Last thing we need is to jump in with our pants down and then be stuck with our thumbs up our rear because we didn't think out the practicability of the solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies