Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

It is still pretty early in the development cycle, but significant progress has been made in fuel cell vehicle technology. I don't see this as an option over the next 5-8 years, but think this could be one of the long term solutions to our transportation cost problems:

The FCX Clarity, which runs on hydrogen and electricity, emits only water and none of the noxious fumes believed to induce global warming. It is also two times more energy efficient than a gas-electric hybrid and three times that of a standard gasoline-powered car.

The fuel cell draws on energy synthesized through a chemical reaction between hydrogen gas and oxygen in the air, and a lithium-ion battery pack provides supplemental power. The FCX Clarity has a range of about 270-miles per tank with hydrogen consumption equivalent to 74 miles per gallon.

Honda rolls out new zero-emission car (AP) : Yahoo! Green
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:30 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
It is still pretty early in the development cycle, but significant progress has been made in fuel cell vehicle technology. I don't see this as an option over the next 5-8 years, but think this could be one of the long term solutions to our transportation cost problems:

The FCX Clarity, which runs on hydrogen and electricity, emits only water and none of the noxious fumes believed to induce global warming. It is also two times more energy efficient than a gas-electric hybrid and three times that of a standard gasoline-powered car.

The fuel cell draws on energy synthesized through a chemical reaction between hydrogen gas and oxygen in the air, and a lithium-ion battery pack provides supplemental power. The FCX Clarity has a range of about 270-miles per tank with hydrogen consumption equivalent to 74 miles per gallon.

Honda rolls out new zero-emission car (AP) : Yahoo! Green
honda is great. they also have the natural gas car coming out, as well as the new cr-z hybrid (which looks awesome). they are at the forefront thus far. they need to get more natural gas and hydrogen fueling stations. also be on the look out for the new chevy volt. that has a ton of promise.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Thats cool, but I have a question. What progress are the making in terms of the economic viability of hydrogen production and its current barriers required to produce it?

Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I think it's a great idea in concept. But does anyone know how the hydrogen is produced? Does manufacturing the fuel cells cause a lot of pollutants, or is it pretty clean? Anyone know?

One interesting bit toward the end of the article:

Takeo has set a target for 2018, but meeting that goal will depend on whether Honda can significantly lower development and assembly costs as well as market reaction to fuel cells.

As much as I hate to admit it, you know what will drive demand for fuel cells and fuel stations? High gasoline prices. Gas is already over $4 a gallon in our area. It'll be $5 before you know it. That's the kind of "need" that tends to get Americans' attention.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:38 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
honda is great. they also have the natural gas car coming out, as well as the new cr-z hybrid (which looks awesome). they are at the forefront thus far. they need to get more natural gas and hydrogen fueling stations. also be on the look out for the new chevy volt. that has a ton of promise.
Good news, especially a natural gas car. The USA has lots of natural gas, readily available in most of the nation. It won't take much to make natgas filling stations a reality, we already have propane filling stations all over, as well as propane delivery to people's homes. Many gas utility firms use natgas to power their small-vehicle fleets, and fork lift trucks use bottled gas to run them.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Thats cool, but I have a question. What progress are the making in terms of the economic viability of hydrogen production and its current barriers required to produce it?
Don't fully know the answer to your question, but I had seen this presentation a year ago and thought it was pretty interesting, and had potential as at least an intermediate idea:

http://gcep.stanford.edu/pdfs/energy...drogen_lau.pdf

Old 06-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Good news, especially a natural gas car. The USA has lots of natural gas, readily available in most of the nation. It won't take much to make natgas filling stations a reality, we already have propane filling stations all over, as well as propane delivery to people's homes. Many gas utility firms use natgas to power their small-vehicle fleets, and fork lift trucks use bottled gas to run them.
they need home fueling stations, that is where the real money will be! you should check out the chevy volt too. it's funny electric and has a range of like 70 miles, which should handle most commutes. if you are going on a long drive, it becomes a hybrid I think. it has a range of like 600 for long trips. the one thing that worries me about the honda fcx, is that it is going to be a lease. I don't think they are going to let anyone buy it. they did the same thing with the GM ev-1 in the late 90's. it was a fully electric car that was available by lease only. when the leases were all up, they destroyed all the cars. someone doesn't want us energy independent!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:59 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
This is great news. I wish the american car companies would be on the ball as Honda is...
I own the DVD Who killed the electric car, about the EV-1. From what I have heard about this car, it sounded great!

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-16-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
This is great news. I wish the american car companies would be on the ball as Honda is...
I own the DVD Who killed the electric car, about the EV-1. From what I have heard about this car, it sounded great!
chevy is on the ball. the volt will be released soon. ford and dodge are lagging. I wonder who will be the first one to produce a hybrid diesel. I bet that would get like 80-100mpg.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
But the first hydrogen car for mass production will surely cost at least $50,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies