Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Coffee, soda, chocolate, red meat, cigars, scotch, even cigarettes - are not death sentences when done in moderation. The diffence between cigarettes and those others is that they are rarely consumed in moderation. They are an addiction that will eventually kill you.
but some don't know how to drink in moderation,or smoke cigars in moderation (is not cigars tobbacco also?)

there for you all that comsume these products no matter how little should be taxed more because you are the cause of inflated health costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
This issue dovetails very well to the thread I had started a few days ago concerning the Japanese measuring everyone's waist during mandated annual physicals, and asking if this is a potential issue when we debate national health insurance.

Fascinating stuff, I wonder if folks are really willing to accept all of the consequences of these types of proposals. I kind of see it like my main complaint in life, mandatory seat belt usage. You start at one point, and then...

Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Employees should have the option of dropping out of their employer's health plan if they wish. But employers are in a tough spot when it comes to providing health care. If too many employees have risk factors like smoking, the premiums go nuts.

How else would people suggest these employers bring down costs?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The same could be said for people that drink and people that are overweight.In most insancews even the people tested for drugs it takes a reasonable belief that they are under the inflenece so that it endangers others. We don't need to go off on witch hunts with smoking as we have alot of tohermore seriuos problems in the work place IMO. I do not smoke by the way.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
What do you think? Should employers be able to mandate blood tests to see if people have quit smoking as a requirement for further employment?

Employers ponder tough tactics to halt smoking
I split on this issue. On one hand I think it should be illegal for an employer to fire or discipline a smoker that was hired prior to the employer's no smoking policy. If they hired an employee that smokes and that employee has worked there for years, no company should be able to come along and say "quit or be fired".
On the other hand, I think it is perfectly fine- and good bsuness sense- not to hire a smoker and to have a policy that says if you start smoking after hire, you will be terminated. And to test for nicotine as well as illegal drugs. I would not hire a smoker (I am an ex smoker myself) knowing what I know about smoking these days.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't agree with Obama politically but I just found out he smokes and just because of that maybe I should vote for him.
It is a habit he needs to quit.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
but some don't know how to drink in moderation,or smoke cigars in moderation (is not cigars tobbacco also?)

there for you all that comsume these products no matter how little should be taxed more because you are the cause of inflated health costs.
Cigars are usually not inhaled from what I have heard.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
look,lets just ban it...........
this would result in utter failure, can we say Prohibition?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,863 times
What they did at my company is basically double the cost of health insurance and then provide a credit (about half the cost) to non-smokers. You had to certify you are a non-smoker but as far as I know there is no intent to test anyone.

But it does open a can of worms, I know a smoker who is upset because there are a LOT of overweight people who are at a much higher risk for more health problems and they are not paying a higher premium. Smoking is just one risk for health problems, doesn't seem fair to single just that one out.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
They are an addiction that will eventually kill you.
If you don't smoke you won't die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies