Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
as long as people do not smoke at their place of work, the employer should have no say so as to what people do on their own time, or is the employer going to be payin their workers 24 hours a day?
What you do off the clock that effects your work performance on the clock is the employer's business. It is well known that smokers are more sickly, miss more days and have less productivity. Numerous studies have shown this. Aside from the fact that the employer's insurance covers the employee 24/7 and his premiums go up as do those of the co workers who don't smoke and are not horribly overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 04:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Then they need to quit smoking and lose weight. And there are jobs that do fire you for being overweight. The telephone company will fire outside technicians that gain too much weight (over 250 lbs I think) because they are unsafe.
That is understandable due to safety concerns while on ladders--------even ones 'duty rated' at 300 lbs. A 230 lb lineman complete with gear would be perilously close to that weight cutoff.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
What do you think? Should employers be able to mandate blood tests to see if people have quit smoking as a requirement for further employment?

Employers ponder tough tactics to halt smoking

No, they should stay out of our personal lives. They also shouldn't have anything to do with insurance. Let the employees sign up if they want, but have them checked out by a doctor first before they're signed up.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Do you guys know how much MORE often smokers have respiratory problems then us non smokers? How much longer it takes to get over a simple cold for a smoker?

Then translate that into lost productivity at work, I can see why things are going this way.
You'd cut out of work for a simple cold?

I have to be so bad off that I can't even walk. Whether it's stomach flu, or an injured leg, if I can't walk, I can't work. I can't GET to work. That's about the only time I'd ever call off. It wouldn't matter if I had a fever of 103....I'd work.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:17 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
I am overweight myself. I am 37 pounds over what I should weigh ideally. And if my employer came to me and said "lose the weight or lose the job", I would take that as an extra kick in my ass to get off the internet and get some more exersise.
If you want to live life as the puppet and bow to the puppetmaster go ahead.

Luckily Im now in the position to tell my employer to **** off if they treat me wrong.Wasn't always that way but now Im debt free with a chunk that will keep me going for a while if it has to plus no mortgage.

If you want to justify a employer(or anybody) manipulating your life be my guest but not me.Sure some jobs require certain specifications.But a guy that sales cars,works as a mechanic,or drives a truck there is no justification for using blackmail to manipulate what someone does away from work.

This friggin world is becoming unreal.I swear going to some island or Costa Rica or something sounds better and better.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
For those who socialized national health care... well, they should just outright BAN smoking, alcohol, high fat food, all candy, fried food, ban skiing, riding bikes, driving cars, etc... I have yet to see a liberal agree to all those terms but they still demand socialized health care...

Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 PM

why ban those things? if you're not going to a doctor, it doesn't matter WHAT you do. I don't believe in doctors, so I wouldn't go unless it was some kind of REQUIREMENT, like when you join the military...or get out.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
For those who socialized national health care... well, they should just outright BAN smoking, alcohol, high fat food, all candy, fried food, ban skiing, riding bikes, driving cars, etc... I have yet to see a liberal agree to all those terms but they still demand socialized health care...
ya forgot sex, ya know what that can lead to...... -gasp- reproductive services

Old 06-18-2008, 07:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
What you do off the clock that effects your work performance on the clock is the employer's business. It is well known that smokers are more sickly, miss more days and have less productivity. Numerous studies have shown this. Aside from the fact that the employer's insurance covers the employee 24/7 and his premiums go up as do those of the co workers who don't smoke and are not horribly overweight.
Untrue for me & my supervisor...we both smoke & we both work our asses off & rarely,RARELY call in sick. Maybe where you work it's not the smoking that causes people to call in sick & be less productive...maybe it's just a case of laziness.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Untrue for me & my supervisor...we both smoke & we both work our asses off & rarely,RARELY call in sick. Maybe where you work it's not the smoking that causes people to call in sick & be less productive...maybe it's just a case of laziness.
or too much City-data,but we all are probably addicted to that.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies