Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmino View Post
last i checked Viacom/MTV was owned by a white man, with a board of all white directors. Now if this show was being made by one of Kathy Hughes companies i could where you have a complaint. why do you find this offensive but not all those hillbilly sitcoms and shows throughout the years.
The reason I was taken back by this particular program was due to the ethnic stereotyping, in a negative way, of one group of people (whites). I was pointing out the fact that you couldn't do this to any other ethnic group without facing a severe public backlash. It doesn't matter that this company is owned by a white man, I was simply stating a double standard in our society and the fact that we've been brought up to believe that it is okay to denigrate white people because of what some of our ancestors may have done in the past (which is a HUGE generalization in itself). No comments were ever made of hillbilly sitcoms, of which nearly all were made prior to the PC movement in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 06:26 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
Do you really feel hurt by the stereotypes on VH1? I doubt it's the same kind of feeling that black people have felt from years and years of discrimination and lynchings and church burnings and unwarranted arrests and...etc etc etc. The white race already has pride built-in, mainly because it hasn't been beaten down because of our color, so there really isn't a need for anything called "white pride". We have all kinds of advantages that can't even be measured, so we should be glad to give a little back and not be so sensitive about these stereotypes. That VH1 bull**** is just garbage tv, just like the other garbage on tv and I choose not to watch it. Sounds like some people need to be introduced to their tv remote.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Do you really feel hurt by the stereotypes on VH1? I doubt it's the same kind of feeling that black people have felt from years and years of discrimination and lynchings and church burnings and unwarranted arrests and...etc etc etc. The white race already has pride built-in, mainly because it hasn't been beaten down because of our color, so there really isn't a need for anything called "white pride". We have all kinds of advantages that can't even be measured, so we should be glad to give a little back and not be so sensitive about these stereotypes. That VH1 bull**** is just garbage tv, just like the other garbage on tv and I choose not to watch it. Sounds like some people need to be introduced to their tv remote.
No, I wasn't hurt and if you went back and read some of my comments on this posting then I think you would get a better understanding of my position. This has nothing to do with 'white pride'. Gimme a break. This is garbage TV, but I think the implications of such a program are more broad then people want to admit. Considering the tone of your posts on this thread and other similar threads, I don't think anything I say is going to convince you that your stance is incorrect.

I think in our many years now of being PC and being 'sensitive to other cultures' has also brought with it a VERY negative attitude of whites, including the teaching self-hate by whites because of past injustices committed by a few. The tone of your posts is one of 'white guilt'. I'm tired of being an apologist for my race and I get sick of people acting in this manner. I didn't commit any crime or discrimination against a single person because of their race. My ancestors came here after slavery ended and when they got here, they were poor and worked in low-paying jobs alongside of many blacks. This 'sensitivity' stuff is garbage. When are we gonna start being real with each other? The more people dance around these issues, the more it keeps people divided. We're all on an equal playing field in this country, now let's stop crying wolf (racism), and let's start acting like it.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:17 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
I'm not guilty of anything (well, nothing I want to discuss here). I'm just enlightened to issues such as this and it's sad that some people have an anger attached to their warped views of history and responsibility. I don't feel like anyone of another race hates me because I'm white, but if they do it's just as wrong as in reverse. Some man named King said "Judge people not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" and we really should all as humans be able to abide by it. Let's all just try to get along.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 PM

I'm finished discussing this. I'm tired of hearing the same rhetoric and I don't apologize for speaking my mind on this issue. We'll all just have to agree to disagree.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM

332 posts, read 449,203 times
See this is why we can never get rid of racism due the face that people are always turning a little harmless tv show into a big racist show! It was started by a white man, obviously the white people on the show have no problem with it. So why are you complaining about it!?! there is nothing to complain about!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:21 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
See this is why we can never get rid of racism due the face that people are always turning a little harmless tv show into a big racist show! It was started by a white man, obviously the white people on the show have no problem with it. So why are you complaining about it!?! there is nothing to complain about!

...the same reason why if Russell Simmons (black) started a show about living on welfare and feasting on chicken and watermelon every first of the month, blacks would be offended too. It doesn't matter who produced the show.

The show portrays white people in a negative light. I personally find that stuff offensive as well. The same goes for all the "black comedies". They are always portraying whites negatively.

It's like Al Jolson all over again. This time it's "white face".

Two wrongs, do NOT make a right.

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies