Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Funeral protesters ordered to pay legal fees

YouTube - Westboro Baptist vs. Angry Nevadan Bikers pt2

YouTube - The truth about Westboro Baptist Church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 08:45 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
None as far as I can tell. The fact that strange days are upon us does not change the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman before God. And if you don't believe in God, you are still married based on a promise to each other. I don't really care what gay couples do but they should remember that being legal under man's law doesn't make it right by nature's law. That's all I have to say on the subject. To each his own etc.
Under nature's law it's perfectly legit: look at nature and gay pairings in nature. Gays are also married on a promise to each other.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
This thread is nothing but a shot at straight people and is a stupid as it gets, no marriage has been destroyed and everybody knows it, if your wanting to start an argument then more power to you, this has been covered enough.
I don't see this thread as a shot at "straight people" but a shot at "silly straight people who think that legal same-sex marriage will destroy heterosexual marriage".

Old 06-21-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It seems no one can give their opinion without someone insulting them, gays point fingers and call others intolerant but to me it seems the shoe is on the other foot.
And what prompts gays to point their collective finger and call some people out as intolerant? That seems like a reaction... which means it was likely prompted by an action.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Under nature's law it's perfectly legit: look at nature and gay pairings in nature. Gays are also married on a promise to each other.
Look, gay coupling in nature is rare and never results in reproduction. Nature is all about reproducing and continuing the species. That is just simple biology and logic. I already stated I really don't care if they marry or not. But their union is not a natural one because of the simple fact of zero chance of procreation. Sure, there are some women born barren or men born sterile but that is malfunction of the human body, not nature. And besides, I have seen animals like dogs who will hump a male just as fast as a female. Does that mean it is a gay dog or that its instinct is to breed and sometimes it gets overexcited. The natural instances of seeming homosexual behavior in animals is more likely just instinct overload. But I can't truly speak for the animals because I am not Dr. Dolittle. So all that being said I am completely tolerant of what they want to do. They can marry and proper and I will not feel my marital status has been affected. But I will never believe that these unions between the same sex are a part of the natural order of things. It just doesn't make sense.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I dont think anyone is "scared."

Many of us are offended, though.
I'm offended that you're offended. Some are offended that blacks and whites can marry each other. So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I would think its the personal problem of those who are too ignorant -- or self-centered -- to realize how offensive they are to others.
Just how self-centered are interracial couples? How ignorant are they? Plenty are offended still that such couples can marry.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Look, gay coupling in nature is rare and never results in reproduction.
National Geographic:
YouTube - Homosexuality in Animals

Quote:
Nature is all about reproducing and continuing the species.
As well as sex for pleasure, bonding, etc. Nature is also about successful societies, and those take variation.

Quote:
That is just simple biology and logic.
Actually, that is lack of observation. You are correct in one aspect so far: same-sex relations don't lead to procreation. Not a big deal as far as nature is concerned.

Quote:
I already stated I really don't care if they marry or not. But their union is not a natural one because of the simple fact of zero chance of procreation.
I take it unions between heterosexual elderly who are no longer capable of procreating are unnatural also? Unions where at least one partner is barren/sterile are unnatural? Thanks for enlightening me to that.

Quote:
Sure, there are some women born barren or men born sterile but that is malfunction of the human body, not nature.
Human bodies are not part of nature? News to me. Still, pairing with such are unnatural? Think about the unreasonable claims you are making to substantiate your dislike for same-sex unions. Your claims make no sense when analyzed.

Quote:
And besides, I have seen animals like dogs who will hump a male just as fast as a female. Does that mean it is a gay dog or that its instinct is to breed and sometimes it gets overexcited.
Or bisexual. It may be using humping not just for procreation. Do you only have sex with your partner for procreation?

Quote:
The natural instances of seeming homosexual behavior in animals is more likely just instinct overload.
What the heck does that even mean?

Quote:
But I can't truly speak for the animals because I am not Dr. Dolittle. So all that being said I am completely tolerant of what they want to do. They can marry and proper and I will not feel my marital status has been affected. But I will never believe that these unions between the same sex are a part of the natural order of things. It just doesn't make sense.
It makes perfect sense to me, per explanations above. Same-sex pairings occur in nature, they have been observed, they are studied, etc. What doesn't make sense to me is the assumption that in terms of sexuality and pairings there is no variation within nature while there is variation in everything else.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
California has also stated that all cats are now dogs. So dog owners.. you now have to rename your pets.

We all know that one guy and one girl are the only thing that can make one human baby.
Irrelevant. Babies are not a pre-requisite for marriage.

Quote:
We should not embrace or rejoice for a genetic mutation. How much longer is the majority in our nation going to suffer so the minority can thrive?
Will you please explain to us exactly the suffering you are enduring due to homosexuals being able to marry?

Quote:
My lord, we make businesses build ramps that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars so maybe 1 handicapped person can go in the business.
A ramp does not cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Don't be a drama queen. Handicapped people are plenty, and I take it your mother didn't teach you to be respectful and accommodating?

Quote:
We build thousands of handicapped parking spaces that are never used.
Cry me a river. Ever been handicapped?

Quote:
We turn away intelligent and well qualified white students to let in not as qualified minority students. Why is it evil to be a white christian heterosexual?
Why do you ask stupid, faux-victim questions? There is nothing evil about being a white Christian heterosexual.

Quote:
Yes, minorities need some protection but we've gone so far to the extreme it's unbelievable.
In the case of some minorities we haven't gone far enough, while in other cases we very well may have swung the pendulum too far in the other direction.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:12 AM

242 posts, read 193,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
reads2much your benchmark for normal is whatever it is you are, but that really doesn't have bearing on the rest of the world. I don't believe what anti gay groups are convinced about- that being gay is a choice, or that being gay is a behavioral problem, a social experiment, or psychological defect for that matter. Whatever makes people attracted to another is an entirely subjective thing and cannot be regulated except where minors are involved.

You're right, you don't have to agree with it, but if you're wanting to understand it you can look at it this way. What appears to be unnatural to you only represents a part of nature. It's been going on since before recorded history, it goes beyond all cultural, races, classes, genders and religious bounds. Gays represent a % of the population everywhere on the planet, and their true numbers have been hidden for fear in many cultures.

The variation in our population is akin to fruit of another tree. Try as people may for centuries to cut down those trees, they just keep popping up just the same. Makes more sense to tend our own harvest than to chase after others, or complain about oranges when we love apples.

Mother nature makes some women barren, some men sterile, some people without maternal/paternal instinct, some are gay. None of these things are a threat to anyone wanting traditional lifestyle that's always been given tremendous advantages from society itself. Seems to me the backlash running in this entire thread is more about being offended by who is allowed to join an exclusive club. Like monty python- a spot moves in the neighborhood- and the whole neighborhood crumbles because of who moved in next door.

Reality is nothing changed for you and I other than letting go of yet another opportunity to impose the tyranny of the majority onto the individual. As americans, we truly never had that right to begin with if you think about it. America betrays it's own values every time it institutionally endorses discrimination against anyone for any reason. Our justice system is supposed to be blind to all things except crime and personal accountability. Our laws & rights apply to all citzens equally. Now we finally get to not be hypocrites IMO.

A beautiful post, harborlady. Thank you for placing homosexuality in a more holistic context (which is where it, and everything else, belongs).

Old 06-21-2008, 10:35 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
jesus also did not teach people to hate others. jesus taught people not to get carried away taking the bible so literally that they would allow someone to die on sunday because they weren't allowed to work on 'the lords day'.
I dont hate. Jesus didn't teach to hate but he did not teach to condone either. He stopped the people from stoning the prostitute but he never said to condone her behaviour.

Quote:
Judge not lest ye be judged. Beam in your eye. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. There are dozens of reasons why hetero christian behavior is dead wrong in their treatment of their fellow human beings, and only one passage that says gays are sinning. That would be old testament, subject to revisions.
Again, I'm not judging them, thats not my job. They are what they are plain & simple. Since 2 men arent a man & a woman they cant get married, they cant have children, they cant be family. How they feel may be different but thats the reality of the situation.
I dont let my faith drive my thinking to the degree that I'd say gay people are sinners. Every one I know is a good person, but then I dont know any that think they are the same as a hetero couple either.

Quote:
If you can't understand gays, you don't have to. You don't have to go to their weddings, funerals, or BBQ's. Your only job in life is to spend your own dime committed to being the best christian you know how to be, and quit trying to live others lives for them. God said so.
I think I understand them fine. They know theres enough seriously confused people out there that they can maybe pull off the impossible & unnatural so they took the ball & ran. I dont think its a very big deal but if asked I will say that gay marriage is about the stupidest thing anyone ever bothered to argue about.

Dont tell me what God told me to do. Flip back a few chapters & you can quote him telling you to stone homosexuals to death. Jesus was silent on the issue of homosexuality but he repeatedly said he was not sent to change the law (Jewish law) You cannot bring God into a discusion like this withour recognizing that every time homosexuality is mentioned in the Bible it was recognized as sinful behaviour.

Anyway I'm content to live & let live, if it comes about here I'd vote against it but I wouldn't harass folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies