Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,296,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
I don't think you're in any way qualified to impart pearl drops of wisdom regarding life, judging by most of your comments (which have perpetuated most of this nonsense). Your complete irrelevance is thus sustained.

Translation: Go to hell.

Only a swine could confuse toothpaste with gems...

LOL

Bon appetit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 02:41 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,762,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Hello folks. Most of the people on this thread have been here since the beginning so this statement is for all of you. After a private conversation with a couple of you I have come to realize that my use of the term "natural" could be taken the wrong way and could certainly offend some people. While I will not apologize for my own opinions, I will admit that the use of that word in several situations was rather inappropriate. I would also like to make clear that I don't doubt the fact that the love these people feel for each other is natural. Love is supposed to be boundless, so I suppose the sex boundary is crossable as well. The main theme behind my use of the word "natural" is that for the most part, nature runs on an opposite sex basis. I truly have no problem with gay people or gay marriage. I do have a few gay friends (2) who are in fact married and happy. And they are really great people. But as my friends they also respect my right to have my own opinion about these types of matters and they don't hold it against me. They respect my right to have mine as they have theirs. And it has definitely sparked some heated debates between the three of us. But I treat them with respect as I would treat anyone and I do wish them the best out of life. As I said in my very first post on this thread, to each his own. You all have a good night/day/afternoon!
When it all comes down to dust, we're all just human beings. I can't express how awkward I felt as young adult attending college and getting hit on by a red headed girl following me around with a crush. I was completely oblivious- it just never entered my mind that a woman would look at me that way. It took the guys in my class pointing it out to me to see it LOL. When you're born hetero, these concepts are entirely out of left field, & we can't relate as well. So I truly do understand your opinion as it relates to your personal choices and respect your right to hold fast to your own choices.

I didn't want to hurt her feelings too badly by saying no thanks, but to thine ownself be true. Sucks that we couldn't be friends, but I've had that same experience with guys I've dated, broken up with, and ego couldn't handle the change in the relationship. Guess it's more about where we're at in maturity and self esteem, but in all fairness it's easier to say when you aren't the one being rejected.

The older I get, the more the dumb stuff sloughs away, and the better quality relationships with less conditions imposed come to the fore. Character is more important, the differences in lifestyle/race/creed/religion have only meant I've gotten benefit of their unique cultural perspectives.

If there were gays in my large high school, they hid themselves, or perhaps weren't even aware of their own sexuality coming of age? Maybe it was just the era I grew up in? I think it would have helped me more as a teen to be aware them, as part of the grander scheme in life, not because of the silly idea of having another sexual preference option- I can't change my chemical draw to males anymore than gays can change their chemical draw to their own. The real reason I think it would be helpful to know them as teen peers is because I'd be running into them in my lifetime, and having a clue about them gives me the ability to have a dialogue that wasn't as awkward as it was in my college days.

In a way, it's like white people who've never met black folks in their lives, yet have been primed by a culture that offers them stereotypes that have no bearing on reality. 'Q*eer eye' type gays aren't the gay's I met in college, for instance. Neither were the harvey fienstien drama queens, with exception to public parades. Knowing people on a one on one basis- the people in parades have nothing to do with the gays I know. It's confusing to me as a hetero how they define themselves, and yes, my sensibilities are offended by lewd or rude behavior of a few. The same can be said of any group, though.

As far as understanding gays better, when you think about it, our emotions are still an alphabet we piece together to express ourselves, and that's also a common language in our culture despite our other differences. Everybody bleeds, everybody pays taxes, everybody has their struggles. America needs unity now more than ever, and irrational, mean spirited groups have nothing but grief to offer this whole world. NYC has been trying to say that for years post 911. Hopefully someone will listen one of these days so we can all get back on track to the real issues hurting america.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,812,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Only a swine could confuse toothpaste with gems...

LOL

Bon appetit.
Even though I think you're a troublemaker, that was pretty funny.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
This post has gotten completely off topic. The same back and forth nitpicking has dominated the discussion, and the same blatant disrespect will continually provoke it. Consistent and lucid arguments have fallen on deaf ears and closed, hostile minds. It is, in a few words, pointless, exhausting, and stupid. No one is trying to achieve anything, and no progress has been made. Some of you are like children in your own adult playground, prolonging this diatribe by concocting new ways to out-bs each other.
Actually, this thread is displaying the greater symptoms of pervasive misinformation & common mind games, robbing people of their worth every single day. Watch the tactics objectively and you'll see how extremists use empty repetition of non information, plethera of 5 dollar pretentious language posing as intellectual, then build upon it, wrap it up in the american flag/bible/apple pie and feeds it to the masses wholesale as the latest scapegoat down the pike. It's impressive to small minds and jerry springer fans, but that's about it. The more you repeat a thing doesn't actually make it fact, it means you're leading people down a very expensive garden path.

You can't blame the masses who lack sophistication enough to see it for what it is. The people perpetrating the crimes, and their intellectual counterparts, need to have this open debate so the masses themselves can see clearly who is idiotic, and especially on the basis of WHAT. Because if you're killing people in the name of jesus, its WRONG. And when you're oppressing people in the name of america, its WRONG. There's no grey area to argue when extremist groups have perverted the very basis of our country and our religions, and on this point I can agree with libertarians wholeheartedly (who themselves are considered an extreme political faction by dems and repubs alike). Power has been given to people who have abused it, and it needs to be rescinded wholesale.

We don't need more jesus kool aid running amok in media or politics promulgating lies and hatred. The people perpetrating these crimes need to be brought to justice, and truth telling restored to being fundemental in journalism. Whatever gays are/aren't needs to be defined solely by their own conduct and actions as individuals, not by weasels trying to warp peoples minds. Not by commentary based on superstition, habit, or personal interpretations/confusion about sexuality, but on facts and remaining consistent in our laws as a nation.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:33 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,296,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The people perpetrating the crimes, and their intellectual counterparts, need to have this open debate so the masses themselves can see clearly who is idiotic, and especially on the basis of WHAT.
I have never witnessed such simultaneously obtuse and wanton disregard for both meaning and a blameless radio station's call letters.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Let me put my karnak hat on and guess... despite his declaration that this thread has no legitimacy, he participates with alarming regularity. Knowing he encouraged me to put him on ignore...
He took a pot shot aimed at me meant to smear the real content of my message. He probably threw in another $5 word to look self important again, followed by meaningless criticism of things wholly irrelevant, operating under the mistaken premise that his personal opinion of me carries any weight with me (or anyone else in this forum for that matter). Yuppers, consistency being the hobgobblin.
My next psychic prediction is that he so desperately needs to have the last word in this thread, that he'll continue his harassment and disrupt the subject until a moderator is burdened to chastize. Then he can claim victim all over again.

Now, anyone want to talk about gay mythology regarding marriage? Enlighten us heteros?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 PM

242 posts, read 192,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Let me put my karnak hat on and guess... despite his declaration that this thread has no legitimacy, he participates with alarming regularity. Knowing he encouraged me to put him on ignore...
He took a pot shot aimed at me meant to smear the real content of my message. He probably threw in another $5 word to look self important again, followed by meaningless criticism of things wholly irrelevant, operating under the mistaken premise that his personal opinion of me carries any weight with me (or anyone else in this forum for that matter). Yuppers, consistency being the hobgobblin.
My next psychic prediction is that he so desperately needs to have the last word in this thread, that he'll continue his harassment and disrupt the subject until a moderator is burdened to chastize. Then he can claim victim all over again.

Now, anyone want to talk about gay mythology regarding marriage? Enlighten us heteros?
I've noticed individuals such as he will consistently return for more. He does not want a discussion. He does not want to discuss the issue from a rational standpoint. He'd rather sit behind his keyboard, like the coward that he is, and spew rhetorical garbage in the hopes of getting a reaction. He's a joke; that's why nothing he says can be taken seriously, and he knows this. He's rendered himself a blabbering caricature, carrying on this idiocy without the deterring fear of getting his a** whipped for real if he was to offend someone.

I take it seriously, and I spit in his face, the coward. Henceforth, he will be put on ignore, so's not to insult my sensibilities any further. I'm too good for that.

He's all yours, harborlady, if you so choose. Have fun.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,098,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
In other words, shut up and go away or you'll unleash your flock of flying monkeys to call me names and tell me to go to hell.

Guess what. You have, they have, and I'm not.

How humiliating for you all.
Oh Great and Powerful OZ, I have brought you the witch's broomstick.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:05 PM

242 posts, read 192,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It may not be deliberate, but a lot of things happen without expecting it to.

As has been shown, a child who is raised by a mother and a father (and I mean a real mother and father, not some guy pretending to be the "mother") is the ideal way.
Who's to say there cannot be a female or male influence(s) in the child's life if it's lacking? There may be aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc...

Besides, ideals don't always materialize in reality, as I'm sure you're aware. Single parents are (obviously) very common. An ideal should not be the staple of an individual, independent household. Are you going to lawfully compel single parents to marry and dwell with someone of the opposite sex to enforce an ideal?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,641,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Even though I think you're a troublemaker, that was pretty funny.
Habsburg, you have no idea yet. To some degree I think everyone who posts on these threads can be labeled a troublemaker at some point. Opinions clash and it is a beautiful thing to watch unfold before your eyes. You may start out with what you think is a perfectly innocent comment, then find yourself on the receiving end of a dozen unhappy posters. Its all about the luck of the draw and personally, I really enjoy the debate. So don't let your feelings get hurt the first time you get attacked, because that same person may rep you ten minutes later for something else you said that they agree with. And always remember that if nothing else, here you have the right to exercise your freedom of speech to its fullest, as long as you don't go to far. OK, enough with the words of wisdom right. Bring it on new guy/gal, and put some stank on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies