Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
He's all yours, harborlady, if you so choose. Have fun.
You'd wish that on me???? hahahahaa

Nah, he's where he belongs in his little bell jar ranting at ghosts. The only thing he can offer is an education on how to be selective with your screen, or witness first hand the tactics of manipulating human beings.

Seriously, though- I really do want to know about how gay teens cope with this huge pile of crapioca thrust upon them by neandertals. Was it ok to be gay in your school? My high school in 70's they were completely invisible in a june graduating class of over 2,000 students. Sounds a bit fishy doesn't it?
I heard in the 50's gay men had to marry women for the appearance of respectability in business heirarchy, but went to speak easy's on the side to have their real relationships. I'd hope gay men don't do that anymore, because that was a real mockery of family values IMO. That's hurtful to women living out a lie when they were meaning to be in hetero monogamous relationships. Full consent is one arrangement, but deliberate lies spoken in marriage vows isn't cool.
I get the impression that gay women just lived together with the appearance of being sisters to one another in victorian era. Not many gave them grief other than calling them spinsters, but sometimes accusations of witchcraft were thrust upon them. There's even some indication that 'independant' women owning property were targeted by the catholic church to commondeer the $$$, then given the option to live in nunneries or... die? Not quite the teachings of jesus I know. Those women refusing to marry in that era, not sure if they were gay or not. No textbook in school, even at higher learning institutions, ever mentioned gays other than in passing about popular authors like truman capote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
I'm widowed so I can't get a divorce but all of my married friends have filed for divorce from their wives because they immediately caught the gay virus as soon as the law was passed.

Did the same thing happen in Massachusetts when they legalized gay marriage in 2004?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 PM

242 posts, read 193,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You'd wish that on me???? hahahahaa

Nah, he's where he belongs in his little bell jar ranting at ghosts. The only thing he can offer is an education on how to be selective with your screen, or witness first hand the tactics of manipulating human beings.

Seriously, though- I really do want to know about how gay teens cope with this huge pile of crapioca thrust upon them by neandertals. Was it ok to be gay in your school? My high school in 70's they were completely invisible in a june graduating class of over 2,000 students. Sounds a bit fishy doesn't it?
I heard in the 50's gay men had to marry women for the appearance of respectability in business heirarchy, but went to speak easy's on the side to have their real relationships. I'd hope gay men don't do that anymore, because that was a real mockery of family values IMO. That's hurtful to women living out a lie when they were meaning to be in hetero monogamous relationships. Full consent is one arrangement, but deliberate lies spoken in marriage vows isn't cool.
I get the impression that gay women just lived together with the appearance of being sisters to one another in victorian era. Not many gave them grief other than calling them spinsters, but sometimes accusations of witchcraft were thrust upon them. There's even some indication that 'independant' women owning property were targeted by the catholic church to commondeer the $$$, then given the option to live in nunneries or... die? Not quite the teachings of jesus I know. Those women refusing to marry in that era, not sure if they were gay or not. No textbook in school, even at higher learning institutions, ever mentioned gays other than in passing about popular authors like truman capote.
I'm sorry, harborlady. I would never wish Jerry Falwell incarnate on anyone.

You seem to have a lot of patience with such individuals (that is, a high threshold for bs), whereas I, in a word, don't. That's all .

Last edited by nodixieforme; 06-23-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
. . . I heard in the 50's gay men had to marry women for the appearance of respectability in business heirarchy, but went to speak easy's on the side to have their real relationships. I'd hope gay men don't do that anymore, because that was a real mockery of family values IMO. That's hurtful to women living out a lie when they were meaning to be in hetero monogamous relationships. Full consent is one arrangement, but deliberate lies spoken in marriage vows isn't cool. . . .
Don't forget Rev Ted, Senator Craig and especially the former Governor of NJ are all gay (or VERY bi-sexual) and are/were married, most likely for the sake of appearances. I'm sure there are still more of these facade marriages out there, though maybe not as many as before. As long as moral cretins like Dobson, Robertson, Falwell(d), et al, keep flogging the issue to keep the donations flowing in, we're going to have people hiding in the shadows and in sham marriages.

George Carlin says it all for me:
YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is bull****.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-23-2008 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
Who's to say there cannot be a female or male influence(s) in the child's life if it's lacking? There may be aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc...

Besides, ideals don't always materialize in reality, as I'm sure you're aware. Single parents are (obviously) very common. An ideal should not be the staple of an individual, independent household. Are you going to lawfully compel single parents to marry and dwell with someone of the opposite sex to enforce an ideal?
Again, it has been shown that both a male and female figure (parents) are best for a child.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Again, it has been shown that both a male and female figure (parents) are best for a child.
Read my previous response.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
On the part of the .gov employees, yes.
IMHO, they should be suing for discrimination!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Don't forget Rev Ted, Senator Craig and especially the former Governor of NJ are all gay (or VERY bi-sexual) and are/were married, most likely for the sake of appearances. I'm sure there are still more of these facade marriages out there, though maybe not as many as before. As long as moral cretins like Dobson, Robertson, Falwell(d), et al, keep flogging the issue to keep the donations flowing in, we're going to have people hiding in the shadows and in sham marriages.

George Carlin says it all for me:
YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is bull****.
george carlin- funny guy. really made people think, as higher end comedy should. may he rest in peace. My maker and I salute him.

Indeed mike, who was up in arms about how marriage is perverted as business arrangement? Who is offended by trophy wives? Who is offended by mail order brides as alternative to prostitution? It's none of my business what consenting adults do, I won't participate in it, but I find it bizzarre how homo phobic people grasp at anything in a desperate attempt to prove a point, at the expense of truth and reality.
Truth of it is, not many hetero folks know much about gays because they've been forced to hide themselves. Truth is, if I were running the world, I'd rather see love promoted more and hatred/disharmony discouraged more. I guess it's considered not profitable when people get along??? GEEZ!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I guess it's considered not profitable when people get along??? GEEZ!
That's right. No more megachurches, and heaven forbid we see the end of the era of the televangelist. We need those divine pastors to cure people of terminal physical and psychological problems right there at the pulpit during a live broadcast, damnit.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Oh Great and Powerful OZ, I have brought you the witch's broomstick.
Oh, thanks, but better give it back. They seem to enjoy sharing it so.

And who knows where it's been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies