Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 AM

602 posts, read 1,958,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Um, it's required sweetie, it's called the Americans With Disabilities Act, you might want to look it over.
Um...We're all pretty much aware of the Americans With Disabilities Act, thanks so much. Even that Act, however, has limitations on what is and is not considered a "disability". NOBODY is disputing the law; we're talking about practicalities. NOBODY has suggested barring the handicapped from beaches, or making access to them impossible or difficult. The example given, if you read it, was that of a facility with a specific use, which was all but inaccessible to most people (particularly those with no reason to be there) whether they were disabled or not.

There are such things as Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications (BFOQs) which legitimately bar people who are physically or otherwise impaired, from holding those jobs. So you wouldn't have a blind, deaf, quadriplegic neurosurgeon or jet pilot, not because anyone is trying to be mean to the handicapped, but because their disabilities effectively hampered them from performing the tasks involved. BFOQs are pretty well defined and are not blanket reasons for excluding people; the burden of proof lies with the employer.

Both BFOQs and the ADA make it clear that an employer's essential business must not be destroyed or nullified by undue hardship that would result from accommodating designated employees.

Last edited by FlourChild; 06-20-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Cutting and pasting screwed up one of the sentences; fixed it to be clearer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:45 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,131,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Um...We're all pretty much aware of the Americans With Disabilities Act, thanks so much. Even that Act, however, has limitations on what is and is not considered a "disability". NOBODY is disputing the law; we're talking about practicalities. NOBODY has suggested barring the handicapped from beaches, or making access to them impossible or difficult. The example given, if you read it, was that of a facility with a specific use, which was all but inaccessible to most people (particularly those with no reason to be there) whether they were disabled or not.

There are such things as Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications (BFOQs) which legitimately bar people who are physically or otherwise capable of performing a job, to hold those jobs. So you wouldn't have a blind, deaf, quadriplegic neurosurgeon or jet pilot, not because anyone is trying to be mean to the handicapped, but because their disabilities effectively hampered them from performing the tasks involved. BFOQs are pretty well defined and are not blanket reasons for excluding people; the burden of proof lies with the employer.

Both BFOQs and the ADA make it clear that an employer's essential business must not be destroyed or nullified by undue hardship that would result from accommodating designated employees.
Well Flourchild, you couldn't be any more clear then that. Let's see if it has any effect on the conversation. I'm betting NO...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,535,921 times
Quote:

There are such things as Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications (BFOQs) which legitimately bar people who are physically or otherwise capable of performing a job, to hold those jobs. So you wouldn't have a blind, deaf, quadriplegic neurosurgeon or jet pilot, not because anyone is trying to be mean to the handicapped, but because their disabilities effectively hampered them from performing the tasks involved. BFOQs are pretty well defined and are not blanket reasons for excluding people; the burden of proof lies with the employer.

Hmm, thanks for the unneeded details. However, if you remember 123's earlier post, he had a problem w/bowing down to people w/disabilities, you know, he thought it was a hardship that businesses should have to provide accessible entrances & whatnot for them. I guess you think that's acceptable?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Well Flourchild, you couldn't be any more clear then that. Let's see if it has any effect on the conversation. I'm betting NO...
I bet "No" as well, but I had to try.

I did notice that one of the sentences in my post was wonky (due to cutting and pasting while composing it) so I fixed that.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Hmm, thanks for the unneeded details. However, if you remember 123's earlier post, he had a problem w/bowing down to people w/disabilities, you know, he thought it was a hardship that businesses should have to provide accessible entrances & whatnot for them. I guess you think that's acceptable?
Oh, so if they contradict you, they're "unneeded details". I pretty much knew you'd come up with THAT. You'd rather throw around terms like "Americans With Disabilities Act", snottily suggest we need to look into it, and then brush it aside when we DO? Debate team captain, were we?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,131,890 times
Quote:
Oh, so if they contradict you, they're "unneeded details". I pretty much knew you'd come up with THAT. You'd rather throw around terms like "Americans With Disabilities Act", snottily suggest we need to look into it, and then brush it aside when we DO? Debate team captain, were we?
LOL! They won't let me rep you again!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Karfar and Reads2much,

I have zero problems with gays. They are born with it. No one chooses to be gay. It's a tough life to live and I feel sorry for them. But we should embrace it? We should shove it down the throats of our children in Jr. High health class?

People who are handicapped.. it's sad. It's awful. But we should require all building owners to put in million dollar elevators thus putting many businesses out of business. Way way way too many handicapped parking spaces take up valuable land.

I'm all for helping the poor.. the weak.. but my point is we go WAY WAY overboard. We shouldn't glorify homosexuality. Accepting is ok.. Glorifying is going overboard.

We should require buildings to put in ramps for handicapped people who must access the building. We should not put hundreds of thousands of businesses out of business because they can't afford million dollar elevators for handicapped people that probably will never come to the building. Ramps and some elevators for handicapped people who must access the building is ok, requiring everyone to do it and putting thousands of businesses out of business is going overboard.

Giving out scholarships to minority students is a great way for minorities to make up for some of the disadvantages they face. Turning away bright young white kids from masters and doctorate programs to fill a minority quota is just plain wrong.

Again, I'm not evil. I feel incredibly sorry for the weak. We need to help them out. But America is so PC that we go way way overboard in doing so and the majority often suffers.
Hmm. I think he (she?) clarified things pretty well here.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,535,921 times
Quote:
Interesting, I do believe I wasn't even speaking to you at all in this thread, or at least not regarding 123's posting about handicap accessibility. And I'm sure you knew I'd come up w/my post, you are ever so smart! Why so defensive?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,192,356 times
Re ADA requirements: The requirement to retrofit a building has long since past - so the law is not "forcing" anyone to spend money to "put in" an elevator or ramps.

Multi story buildings, being built new, put in elevators as a normal course of design - and, they are not only for those with disabilities.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I do believe I wasn't even speaking to you at all in this thread, or at least not regarding 123's posting about handicap accessibility. And I'm sure you knew I'd come up w/my post, you are ever so smart! Why so defensive?
Not sure where the "defensive" comes in, but the "I'm not talking to you, neener neener" bit is HILARIOUS. My mom came running in here to see what I was laughing about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies