Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Blacks are unemployed in such number because they do not attract companies to come in. No company wants to relocate to a crime area and most if not all poor urban black majority areas do have a crime problem.
That crime is a byproduct of the joblessness. I see part of the solution is for more Blacks to become entreprenuers. We need more Blacks employing Blacks especially comming from our college educated Blacks. Not enough of them own businesses. That's what's missing from many Black areas.

Quote:
I do not see or hear of blacks getting out and finding work also, I see lots of Mexican farm workers, roofers, etc.. but next to zero blacks.
How much are those Mexicans working for? Are they getting paid cheaper than Black workers would?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:24 PM

231 posts, read 157,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
That crime is a byproduct of the joblessness.
You mean to tell me that poverty tends to produce crime? I thought it was just all those genetically inferior black people!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
A group of high school kids here did a report like 3, 4 years ago. They went to stores located in a predominantly black area and just took notice of how many black employees there were.

Of course, there were like a zillion family owned hair stores or corner stores, primarily Asian families with no black employees but I think the big surprise was the Wal-mart. Over half the staff was Hispanic and a good chunk of them didn't speak English very well. It got like a little blimp on the local news and this one CSM (I swear this was priceless) actually said "you hire who applies. Maybe they just don't want to work"

I don't know how the hell they kept that off national news but next thing I knew it was a lot of black folks working at Wal-Mart

I personally think one problem the black community has is wanting to have a black community. Now I know that sounds crazy but to me the community isn't all of us living on the same damn block, it's more of a mental thing. "I look out for your family and you look out for mine" like they did in the old days. That's why I have a million cousins because the older women my grandmother was friends were my "aunts". So many black people get hung up on that living in a black area crap - that's bull. We need to take back our streets and make them beautiful. If I had my way, we'd start tearing down all these damn ghettos and making the people relocate to normal neigborhoods. Some people believe that by doing that you'll just be creating more ghetto's but I believe some of these kids are just a product of their environment. If you don't want your son walking round with his pants falling off his behind, smoking weed and talking bout ******* and hoes then you probably shouldn't be living in the Cabrini Green projects.

I'd rather live in an extended day hotel and sleep on the floor so my kids can have the bed, then raise a son in the projects.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'd rather live in an extended day hotel and sleep on the floor so my kids can have the bed, then raise a son in the projects.
You talk as if there are no black suburban neighborhoods. I wanted to live in a black community myself, and I do. Guess what? There aren't any crackhouses around. Shocking, I know.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHusseinMoore View Post
You talk as if there are no black suburban neighborhoods. I wanted to live in a black community myself, and I do. Guess what? There aren't any crackhouses around. Shocking, I know.
I didn't say there weren't. I'm talking about how black people want to hold on and preserve the ghettos. Every few months there'll be a big affair because someone wants to buy up all the projects and tear them down to build condos.

Then black people come out full force talking bout "these are our streets. We need this and we need that. I can't go to work because it's raining and the bus stop cover is broken and I get wet. The basketball goals on the white side of town have nets"

So then the city officials go through and they put in new bus stops covers and put in new basketball goals. Three months later the glass is broken on the covers and the nets are gone. Tear all that **** down and make those people move out. They don't have any love or respect for their neighborhoods, but they don't want the white people to have them because they're "ours".

What is shocking is that you seem to get offended by everything that's said on this forum. I've noticed that almost every thread you go in is closed shortly after. If we're that upsetting to you, then why don't you make your way over to black America web or something before you catch that City Data disease you were talking about?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Tear all that **** down and make those people move out. They don't have any love or respect for their neighborhoods, but they don't want the white people to have them because they're "ours".
And I'm sure you know all about growing up in those kinds of neighborhoods and having real, true love for where you're from, and feeling helpless because other people come and mess up what you love so much. I can tell by your compassion.

Quote:
What is shocking is that you seem to get offended by everything that's said on this forum. I've noticed that almost every thread you go in is closed shortly after. If we're that upsetting to you, then why don't you make your way over to black America web or something before you catch that City Data disease you were talking about?
What makes you think I'm not active at BAW, BV, or anywhere else? Hmm?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHusseinMoore View Post
And I'm sure you know all about growing up in those kinds of neighborhoods and having real, true love for where you're from, and feeling helpless because other people come and mess up what you love so much. I can tell by your compassion.
Yeah actually I do. If you read some of my other threads you'll see I'm very open with my opinions on projects. I grew up in an all black neighborhood, the habitat for humanity kind but back then they called them self help houses. This was actually my grandparents home and most of the people on the block were older. It was a great community and I mean that in the sense that everybody knew who was and I was always safe. I could have went into any house on that street and somebody would have fed me. On the same token if anyone on that street would have seen me misbehaving, I would have gotten my ass whipped. Hell I think about four houses on the block belonged to members of my family and several others were members of our church.

Flash forward 20 years - the whole damn area has gone to ruins. Almost all the original families are gone now. The 04 hurricanes left a lot of places in shambles and so now they're are a lot of abandoned homes and buildings, that just breed drugs and crimes. There was this outbreak of random shootings - which was crazy because it's always been a pretty peaceful area. There was crime but it was always isolated - man shooting a man about gambling or women fighting over a man, but not just kids killed in random shootings.

I have a friend who still lives there and when I ask her about it she always waxes poetic about how these are "our streets" and "our history" and "this is where we grew up". Yes, I would love for my childhood community to return to what it once was but reality tells me it cannot be fixed. It has to be torn down and started again. And unfortunately it can't start with the people who are currently there because they have proven that they won't take care of it.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:

Depends on the projects. I actually stay in the projects now; and they seriously are some of the nicest rentals in my hometown (complete with landscaping and a recreation center/day car onsite).

True I don't live in a city though....small town.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I have a friend who still lives there and when I ask her about it she always waxes poetic about how these are "our streets" and "our history" and "this is where we grew up". Yes, I would love for my childhood community to return to what it once was but reality tells me it cannot be fixed. It has to be torn down and started again.
I can't believe that, I just can't. I believe that the "wrong" people can be taken out of there and then it can be saved. But if you tear the place down and start it again, aren't the same people still going to be there? If they're going to be there with the new, then why not try to save the old?

The problem isn't the projects, I'd argue, but some (SOME!) of the people in it. Most of the people I know in the projects are older, or overworked, and nearly all of them are tired as hell. And why give up on the people? Sure, you can run the wrong kind of people out, but they're going to be right back robbing you in three months. And we can't put them down like dogs. They have to go *somewhere*, and project people don't go to the suburbs and make THEIR lives miserable. They come back to us! So we work on the people inside said projects, then the projects themselves. That way, be they old or new, they stay upright and (as) safe (as possible). (But believe me, I am not Mary McLeod Bethune, and if there were a couple of them I COULD put down like rabid dogs, I'd gladly do so.)

The reason why I'm so passionate about this is because the old 'hood is going through regentrification. White folks done discovered the south side, and all of a sudden, allllllll that money we never had to fix the south side is coming out in droves. The hell? And what's the good in fixing up the neighborhood if the schools are still crap? I was going through a fairly nice neighborhood yesterday, and this school - which I swear, is like...in its fourth year in not meeting state standards - had graffiti all over it...on the top floor. The TOP! How in the hell they got up there, I don't know. What I DO know is that too much money went into that neighborhood to have that school looking like it does, and those kids testing as low as they do on a regular basis.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Depends on the projects. I actually stay in the projects now; and they seriously are some of the nicest rentals in my hometown (complete with landscaping and a recreation center/day car onsite).

True I don't live in a city though....small town.
You're right; it does. Some of the income restricted apartments here are considered projects and I was pissed when I found out I made "too much money" too live in them. Most of them are brand new and the floor plans are huge. I almost thought about getting pregnant just so I could qualify I'm just joking for all of those who have their sense of humor buttons in the off position tonight.

No, but I truly hate when I hear women boohooing about how they don't know why their child is out of control. Yes, you do. You live in an area that people affectionately call "Crime Hills". You work all day and all night. That's how your son got out of control. Yes, I know for some women with multiple kids living in the projects is the only alternative to living on the streets but there are so many others who just don't want to sacrifice.

After my dad left, my mom went through a rough patch and we lived in a ghetto on the west side of Alb. NM that had a lot of gang activity. Only black family on the block. The house was really nice - but the police were always out and you'd hear gunshots all day every day. My brother got in a fight with two guys who were throwing bottles at our dogs and my mom was afraid he was going to be shot so we left.

Packed everything we could in her little hunchback and moved into extended stay hotel. My brother is ten years older then me but the three of us stayed in the hotel room 7 months while my mom busted her butt working two jobs until she got a good full-time job and we moved into an apartment. What was funny to me is that I didn't really understand what had happened until years later when I was telling everybody how I learned to cook scrambled eggs in the microwave. It never occurred to me that we were homeless and that living in the hotel was a bad thing.

I think in the end sacrificing for a few months was worth getting my brother out of what she considered a dangerous environment. A lot of these mothers today aren't willing to sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies