Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
 
7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Reputation: 3656

Advertisements

Interesting. This touches on how high unemployment shapes many of the social problems found with poor Blacks.

Quote:
Mr. Wilson is particularly insightful in establishing a connection between the declining economic fortunes of young black men and the explosive growth in the number of black families headed by single women...

NY Times

Neighborhoods in which people are poor and working are entirely different from neighborhoods in which people are poor and jobless...

First Measured Century: Interview: William Julius Wilson


 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
 
Location: The D-M-V area
13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Reputation: 9596
The reason behind the large number of single parent households and mothers on government aid can be traced directly back to President Johnson after he signed the AFDC bill that made sure that mothers had to be single and unmarried in order to qualify for federal money to raise their kids. That set the ball rolling for many homes to be headded by single mothers. The kids grew up in homes with no father, then they repeated the cycle. It's really as simple as that.

As far as jobs go, if there's no economic development in poorer areas, there aren't going to be many options for jobs.
 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM
 
7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Reputation: 3656
^
But what was the unemployment numbers for the Black men in those communities?

If you check the stats for Black male unemployment since the 70's you'll have to wonder if enough marriagable men could be produce from those unemployment numbers? Black male unemployment is still high because of the decline in manufacturing in the last 20 plus years since Black males were overly concentrated in manufacturing.
 
Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Location: alt reality
1,085 posts, read 2,234,121 times
Reputation: 937
The first link is asking for a log in. Can you try re-posting it? I'll add comments later.
 
Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
 
7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Reputation: 3656
Here's the google cached for the first link. NY Times will allow you to view their articles on your first click but you will need to login after the second click.

NYTimes
 
Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Reputation: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The reason behind the large number of single parent households and mothers on government aid can be traced directly back to President Johnson after he signed the AFDC bill that made sure that mothers had to be single and unmarried in order to qualify for federal money to raise their kids. That set the ball rolling for many homes to be headded by single mothers. The kids grew up in homes with no father, then they repeated the cycle. It's really as simple as that.

As far as jobs go, if there's no economic development in poorer areas, there aren't going to be many options for jobs.
Yeah, I know a lot of people who lie about their boyfriends living with them or even say they don't know who they are to keep the govt from puting them on child support. It's sad bu the way the system is designed now its more harmful then helpful
 
Old 06-20-2008, 06:48 PM
 
7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Reputation: 3656
To those who connect Black female headed homes to the welfare system are there any stats showing an increase in Black marriages since the 1996 welfare reforms?
 
Old 06-20-2008, 06:55 PM
 
812 posts, read 2,307,782 times
Reputation: 344
If the gvmt. would stop rewarding people w/ welfare, it may get more people to stop having babies and get them into the work force. If someone is on welfare and they have another child, it shouldn't be the Americans taxpayers responsibility to pay for that baby. The parent needs to take responsibilty and know they couldn't afford the child. They need to get off of welfare and get a job if that happens.
 
Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 PM
 
8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Reputation: 12612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^
But what was the unemployment numbers for the Black men in those communities?

If you check the stats for Black male unemployment since the 70's you'll have to wonder if enough marriagable men could be produce from those unemployment numbers? Black male unemployment is still high because of the decline in manufacturing in the last 20 plus years since Black males were overly concentrated in manufacturing.
Well then they need to aquire more skills then.

There are plenty of jobs out there, it is just more convient for many (irregardless of race) to be unemployed.

Blacks are unemployed in such number because they do not attract companies to come in. No company wants to relocate to a crime area and most if not all poor urban black majority areas do have a crime problem.

I do not see or hear of blacks getting out and finding work also, I see lots of Mexican farm workers, roofers, etc.. but next to zero blacks.

Who is at fault? Probably no one. It is something now that feeds itself. They are poor now because of their attitude and they have this attitude because they are poor.

But being poor is just an excuse for criminal behavior. Many people are poor, heck I only make $7 an hour, I am poor as heck, but I do not feel any inclination to go commit a crime.
 
Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 PM
 
7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
If the gvmt. would stop rewarding people w/ welfare, it may get more people to stop having babies and get them into the work force...
Well that view was disproven by Reagan's own welfare researchers:

Quote:
But as David Ellwood and Lawrence Summers have shown, welfare benefits could not have played a major role in the rise of out-of-wedlock births because benefits rose sharply in the 1960s and then fell in the 1970s and 1980s, when out-of-wedlock births rose most. A study by Robert Moffitt in 1992 also found that welfare benefits can account for only a small fraction of the rise in the out-of-wedlock birth ratio...

An Analysis of Out-Of-Wedlock Births in the United States - Brookings Institution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top