Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 AM
mga

230 posts, read 397,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Does anybody have any reputable information refuting the peak oil theory? Everything I am reading shows that its worse than we thought, and the end of civilization is upon us.
where is your proof of what you say?

this talk about 'the end of the world" is all just democratic propaganda to make americans believe we're doomed and only they can save us.

get real.

we're not in any "peak oil" crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 09:08 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
You wouldn't buy a Prius. Wonderful.
But that has no basis on what we are talking about.

We are talking about the average resale value of automobiles as representative of the demand for those cars. As I noted, a Prius is now holding its value much better than an SUV. I believe you will also find the number of new SUV sales have plummeted. These numbers are representative of a aggregate number across the country. Your personal preference, although important to you I am sure, is frankly irrelevant.
If you think nobody will buy SUVs well, thats opinion. I say SUVs are here to stay now and FOREVER... I rather buy an SUV than a Prius... but as right now, I am plenty happy with my Honda Civic... If I was to buy another car other than my Honda, it would be an SUV... I am just waiting for technology to mature and we have high MPG SuVs but then I suppose you would think those high MPG SUVs won't hold its resale value because its a SUV... sorry, I don't think so... if you think the Prius will hold its high resale value forever, you are dreaming... most new cars with new technology hold higher resale values, add with the rising gas prices and you will see an amplification of this effect...but who cares, gas prices are gas prices, I prefer to be independent from gas prices than to care where I should live depending on what you think...

Old 06-21-2008, 05:41 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If you think nobody will buy SUVs well, thats opinion. I say SUVs are here to stay now and FOREVER... I rather buy an SUV than a Prius... but as right now, I am plenty happy with my Honda Civic... If I was to buy another car other than my Honda, it would be an SUV... I am just waiting for technology to mature and we have high MPG SuVs but then I suppose you would think those high MPG SUVs won't hold its resale value because its a SUV... sorry, I don't think so... if you think the Prius will hold its high resale value forever, you are dreaming... most new cars with new technology hold higher resale values, add with the rising gas prices and you will see an amplification of this effect...but who cares, gas prices are gas prices, I prefer to be independent from gas prices than to care where I should live depending on what you think...
Again, you keep bringing up your own personal choices. Wonderful. You like big trucks and SUV's over Prius. Wonderful but (let me repeat this again) this has nothing to do with the aggregate. The articles I posted are discussing prices in the aggregate, something you have failed to address with your "I like SUV's more" posts.

I suspect (and the evidence I have seen seems to confirm this) that as fuel prices increase and increase, such cars will become less economical for many Americans. Look at Europe, they have SUV's but they are a minuscule portion of the overall market because of fuel prices. Now granted prices are higher over there for tax reasons (which is a whole other argument which I am happy to engage in....but not here), but as prices in the US continue to increase there will get a point where the price effects more people than not. The tipping point we can call it. Will it effect everyone or even you personally - Mr. Big Bad I am Independent? Well, apparently not.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:57 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
well 150 million dead would sure help the over crowding problem

Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
You actually hoping this happens? Typical liberal elite - view humans as parasites of the earth and would like nothing better than the destruction of human civilization.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:21 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Without oil, how will coal be transported from the mine to the plants? And we do have 400 years worth of coal left.
Actually you can extract an oil substitute from coal. Never mind oil shale and tar sands...

Old 06-22-2008, 02:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
High oil prices? Weak dollar? Blame Bush - Martin Frost - Politico.com

A lot of what we pay for is the weak American dollar. If we fixed this, gas prices and oil prices would go down.
This is one link, but if you google this you will find a lot of info on this. I find it very interesting. Just though it would be a good add.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:16 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Some internet theory? Someone who developed the system? This has been around for a very long time. It is not, as you call it, some internet theory. Non technical people should not be commenting on technical matters of which they know nothing about.
Hey if AL Gore is allowed to comment and make a movie even though his socalled facts are disputed by his own scientists we all should be allowed to comment.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
How many liberal elitest snobs are there? Lets round them up put them on some islands and see how they make out. Al gore might actually lose some weight and look like a human again instead of that bloated puffer fish look he has going on.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How many liberal elitest snobs are there? Lets round them up put them on some islands and see how they make out. Al gore might actually lose some weight and look like a human again instead of that bloated puffer fish look he has going on.
Well, if they were sincere they would all kill themselves and save the planet from their terrible eco-destroying leach like existence. Instead they hang around and kill the rest of us........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies