Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

With construction well underway on one of the tallest buildings ever built in Chicago, I am wondering just how many people might be a bit uneasy about living in a 2000+ foot building after 9-11-01. They must know that the Arabs are certainly going to take a look at this thing and figure out if they can knock it over some way. But on the other hand, the views would be fantastic (as somebody that lived in a Chicago lakefront highrise for 12 years, I can tell you I would love the view) and the location is great. For me, I would probably take the risk if the price was right.

Chicago Spire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:41 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Nope, would not live in it. has nothing to do with 9/11, just to do with I don't like being up that high.

I would take the 3rd floor, thats about it.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:52 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Wow, that is on odd looking building. I would love to see it when its finished.

But to the question --- I'm not sure. I think it would be a cool place to live, and the views would be outstanding! Still, after watching the people trapped in the world trade center by fire, well I've developed a kind of fear from that. Not necessarily terrorist related, just of being trapped in a highrise by fire and having no escape.

Do you have pictures of the interiors will look like, Kevk?

Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
With construction well underway on one of the tallest buildings ever built in Chicago, I am wondering just how many people might be a bit uneasy about living in a 2000+ foot building after 9-11-01. They must know that the Arabs are certainly going to take a look at this thing and figure out if they can knock it over some way. But on the other hand, the views would be fantastic (as somebody that lived in a Chicago lakefront highrise for 12 years, I can tell you I would love the view) and the location is great. For me, I would probably take the risk if the price was right.

Chicago Spire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No way would I live in that thing. It looks very strange. I cannot imagine what kind of person would want to live in that thing. Of course, this is coming from someone who lives in a SFD on half an acre.

Considering my views on 9-11, I wouldn't be too worried about "Arabs" flying into it.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Wow, that is on odd looking building. I would love to see it when its finished.

But to the question --- I'm not sure. I think it would be a cool place to live, and the views would be outstanding! Still, after watching the people trapped in the world trade center by fire, well I've developed a kind of fear from that. Not necessarily terrorist related, just of being trapped in a highrise by fire and having no escape.

Do you have pictures of the interiors will look like, Kevk?
Nope. I don't have any idea what the inside will look like. It is just a big hole in the ground right now from what my sister told me. It looks on the outside like a big adult toy or something to me. Yes, a fire in there would not be a good thing.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Nope. I don't have any idea what the inside will look like. It is just a big hole in the ground right now from what my sister told me. It looks on the outside like a big adult toy or something to me. Yes, a fire in there would not be a good thing.
Ha! I'm glad you said that......my first impression was wondering what was the architect trying to overcompensate for?

Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Personally I would be uncomfortable just living in a 2000' building, period. I know Chicago doesn't have earthquakes but a building that tall is so vulnerable to storms/wind.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
I don't like living in buildings with other people connected to me. Also, I don't like living "near" other people for basically the same reason. I prefer being on 2-5 acres well away from everyone else so that I can manage and be responsible for my own home through various means such as providing proper fire lines, security safety, and many other factors to which I have full control over.

I find it much safer in defense of life and property as well. There is no reason for the average person to be near or around your house in my situation, while in buildings with close proximity you never know if someone is supposed to be there or up to no good. Then there are insurance issues. Many people do not carry personal liability insurance, so if the fools burn down the building, then I am stuck relying on my insurance to cover it.

Also, it is one thing if you are renting, but I find that it is a very poor decision to actually purchase a home in the same situation connected to other people. You don't own your home, you merely own a space within someone else's building and that brings out all kinds of legal areas where you can end up with the short end of the stick.

So, no, I would not.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
No way would I live in something like that. The idea of being that high off the ground would not allow me to rest easy. Besides, like another poster mentioned the idea of having a total stranger living on the other side of the wall next to me doesn't sit well. I like having considerably more distance between neighbors and I despise city living.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
but I find that it is a very poor decision to actually purchase a home in the same situation connected to other people. You don't own your home, you merely own a space within someone else's building and that brings out all kinds of legal areas where you can end up with the short end of the stick.

Well, talk for yourself.
I, for one, am a very bad handyman (the best thing I can do is paint a room-I did it last year, it took me a week to paint a 20sqft room.
And, also, I don't have the 200 000 $ to buy a decent house.
So I bought an apartment (with private garden, I'm ground floor) in a condo; I know that if there are pike leaks or big restoration work to do in the building, or to have a new elevator, etc I won't be the only one to pay for it, the other owners will share the costs.
Of course I bought in a HCOL area (hence smaller apartment, I don't care) so I'm with middle class honest people and I won't have problems whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies