Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:48 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Would America vote for a Buddhist, an atheist, an agnostic, a Baha'i, a Unitarian, a Muslim or a Jew? Is it terrorism or religous bigotry that fuels the fear in this election?
Religion does not form my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
As I stated, my faith informs everything I do. I do not expect it to inform the choices made by others. I do not live in a theocracy nor would I want to. As long as the choices made do not harm another I believe we should all have the freedom to make our personal choices based upon our own personal beliefs. I make the assumption that the faith of others is as important to them as mine is to me and I treat it with the same respect I want accorded to mine.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
As I stated, my faith informs everything I do. I do not expect it to inform the choices made by others. I do not live in a theocracy nor would I want to. As long as the choices made do not harm another I believe we should all have the freedom to make our personal choices based upon our own personal beliefs. I make the assumption that the faith of others is as important to them as mine is to me and I treat it with the same respect I want accorded to mine.
As you are making choices based on your values that are informed by your faith, does a candidate have to share your personal beliefs, or does the candidate have to keep safe your ability to practice your faith? I fall into the later and am interested to learn how you approach the decision making process.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 PM
LML

A candidate does not have to share the same faith but does have to respect my faith and the faith of others. I would have a very hard time voting for a candidate who mocked my faith...or the faith of others or who did all that they could to make them irrelevant. I definately want it to be safe to practice my faith. And I'd like a candidate to at least share some of the same values that I find important. Examples would be that I have a hard time relating to the "dog eat dog" philosophy which suggests that we owe nothing to one another but should just be "in it to win it" and never mind what happens to others as long as we get ours. I also do not like the "nanny state" philosophy that suggests that government should be able to regulate every aspect of our personal lives. AND I am pro-life. It is very hard for me to vote for a candidate who isn't. I have done so but it is hard. But I extend my pro life stance to the already born and do not support the killing of thousands in unneccessary war.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
A candidate does not have to share the same faith but does have to respect my faith and the faith of others. I would have a very hard time voting for a candidate who mocked my faith...or the faith of others or who did all that they could to make them irrelevant. I definately want it to be safe to practice my faith. And I'd like a candidate to at least share some of the same values that I find important. Examples would be that I have a hard time relating to the "dog eat dog" philosophy which suggests that we owe nothing to one another but should just be "in it to win it" and never mind what happens to others as long as we get ours. I also do not like the "nanny state" philosophy that suggests that government should be able to regulate every aspect of our personal lives. AND I am pro-life. It is very hard for me to vote for a candidate who isn't. I have done so but it is hard. But I extend my pro life stance to the already born and do not support the killing of thousands in unneccessary war.
Very close to twins in this. Are you by any chance from PA? I ask this, because most people I know with this live and let live philosophy while holding a firm prolife (all life) vs profetus (some life) stand are often from PA.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 PM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Very close to twins in this. Are you by any chance from PA? I ask this, because most people I know with this live and let live philosophy while holding a firm prolife (all life) vs profetus (some life) stand are often from PA.
Nope. I have relatives in PA (they are actually Quakers by the way..though I am not.) I live in Wisconsin. Do you live in PA?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Yes, it makes a difference. Muslims have completely different views than Christians on certain issues. Why would I vote for someone who does not represent my interests? That is pure stupidity.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Now, this may sound like a flip, but if I say this right it won't be. I don't want a Pope, a Bishop, a preacher, an Iotola, or other cleric forcefeeding me politics based on religion. I do however want my governmental leaders having their roots solidly faith based. Few people on this forum will appreciate this, but the Christian faith that I know stands on integrity, morality, and solid self-discipline. It is not the religious practice that I have seen from Obamba, Clintons, or many other "Christian" politicians. While I totally disagree with the politican Jimmy Carter has become, last I checked his faith still wasn't about hurting anyone.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Nope. I have relatives in PA (they are actually Quakers by the way..though I am not.) I live in Wisconsin. Do you live in PA?
I was educated in PA, have lived in 8 states and have visited all but 3 and I have seen vast differences in how people approach religion and politics, specifically how they affect each other and the type and tenor of discussion about each. I have friends in Kenosha, but I feel I would be happy in Madison.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Now, this may sound like a flip, but if I say this right it won't be. I don't want a Pope, a Bishop, a preacher, an Iotola, or other cleric forcefeeding me politics based on religion. I do however want my governmental leaders having their roots solidly faith based. Few people on this forum will appreciate this, but the Christian faith that I know stands on integrity, morality, and solid self-discipline. It is not the religious practice that I have seen from Obamba, Clintons, or many other "Christian" politicians. While I totally disagree with the politican Jimmy Carter has become, last I checked his faith still wasn't about hurting anyone.
I think your answer is honest and straightforward. Although I am a Catholic, I could vote for an agnostic, an aetheist or a Buddhist. I think I could also vote for a politician of any religion who was able to separate their religious goals with the country's laws, but any fundamentalist religous leader would be problematic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies