Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A brilliant post, mac. Well said.
Well, I should thank you for the kind words....but I really don't deserve them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 05:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
I guess if I did something wrong, I might feel guilty about it. But since I haven't, and neither did my ancestors, I have no guilt.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:55 PM

170 posts, read 473,597 times
Why should any whites feel guilty lately. Any problems experienced by blacks in the last few decades are of their own doing. We dont cause their crime rate or pregnancy or fatherless families. We dont cause their living conditions or welfare rate. Feel guilty? No. Go out and make something of yourself as stated by Obama, Cosby and Larry Elder. These men are attacked by their own race for speaking up and telling them to stop feeling sorry for themselves. The first word out of their mouths now is: Discrimination. Shameful.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:13 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've written about this extensively on this forum. I don't call it "white" guilt, but close..I call it "Western guilt". It's found in western societies, those based on a protestant Christian culture, which has now moved generally BEYOND that into what might be called a 'secular, post-Christian" society..sound familiar? Right...The US, Canada, some of Western Europe, ...Australia , NZ....but not many other places. Note that not ALL 'white" societies are included...Catholic countries, for example, are largely immune. Curiously, Scandinavia, which hasn't done anything "mean" to anyone for centuries, seems to suffer from 'white guilt'. Why? Don't know...

This "guilt" (white or whatever) is what "makes" us....for example, argue about the 'rights' of illegals...or the 'atrocities' that "we" (ALL of us, apparently), have committed in the past..or our "responsibility" for fomenting troubles and strife over most of the world..even for "colonialism"...which, ironically, the US didn't even DO, for the most part. The British were certainly 'colonizers', and today suffer much 'white guilt'. Yet the Spanish and French were HUGE colonizers...but seem largely immune from this guilt.

What makes this "white" guilt special, and worth discussing for its seeming bizarre contradictions, is that MOST huge nations have all sorts of atrocities to their credit. Russia, for example, brutally killed uncounted MILLIONS of peasants in its ruthless and bloody history---FAR in excess of anything the US did. China did the same. Japan's human-rights record in WWII was truly abominable. Yet these places have no sense of collective guilt in their societies. Muslim nations, for all their ruthless history, seem totally oblivious to any sense of guilt borne as a society.

Mexico has "screwed" its own poor for so many generations it's simply taken for granted...it's treated as a tired 'joke'.... Yet the US feels "guilty" for the plight of today's Mexican illegals, while Mexico feels none whatsoever. Though fully ten percent of Mexico has now LEFT the country, for the US, the 'common wisdom' is that any mistreatment suffered by these folks is due to "our" unkindness. Mexico gets a 'pass'..in fact, Mexico actually criticizes us quite regularly...for mistreating the people who "it" forced to leave....the hypocrisy is breathtaking. But it works, when one society feels guilt, while the other doers not.

Africa? Whole different story. Blame and guilt are directed at the Euopean colonizers and their 'excesses'...yet no 'guilt' at all seems to be associated with the continuing bloodbath that is 'business as usual' in Darfur, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, etc etc etc., right up to the present day. Lots of atrocities, lots of anger, lots of 'charges' being thrown around....but no 'guilt' at all.

Hope this answers your question. Not so much a "white" phenomena as it is a "secular, protestant-based" one. Why?....I don't know.

By the way' "white guilt" also prevents us from COMPARING ourselves with other, worse, far more brutal places. White guilt says, in esence, that "the tyrants and dictators and violent thugs in THOSE places aren't responsible for their behavior. It's their culture, it's the way they live, and they don't know any better. WE DO, and we're guilty." Thopse nations which experience "white guilt", by the way, are ALSO the same societies bent on adopting "multiculturalism"....as if to say "other cultures are just as good as OURS, and a whole lot morte interesting, as well". MOST of the world, of course, has ZERO interest in multiculturalism. THey figure their culture is the "best" one for them, period....therefore, no self-doubt, no multiculturalism, no 'guilt'.

"White guilt" in my opinion, contains just a HINT of racial superiority..."we" are better than "them", and therefore we should show it, by acting better. Yet at the same time, we're GUILTY, and "they" aren't....because they "can't HELP it"....

BTW..I'm white, but not protestant. My wife's neither white OR protestant. But we both "see" this. Personally, I seem just a touch guiltier than HER, in regards to the damage "I've" done around the world....(??)hmmm

Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
At one time I believe that whites had to compansate when dealing with blacks because of the past history of discrmination. How days it seems that more have gotten over this feeling that they have to take this into account because of time. I also thnik that this is shown now that a black is a seriuos candidate for the highest office. That that level you are judged for your own prejudices and racism.No presidental candidate gets a break because of his race now days;unless he is ignored because he is not imortant.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:54 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
thats my question what is white guilt?
It's something neurotic leftists can spend their time focusing on rather than the real problems in their lives.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting really tired of the race issue. It isn't an issue with most people, but the press continues to beat it to death and fuel a fire. Stop buying into the hype, people!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've written about this extensively on this forum. I don't call it "white" guilt, but close..I call it "Western guilt". It's found in western societies, those based on a protestant Christian culture, which has now moved generally BEYOND that into what might be called a 'secular, post-Christian" society..sound familiar? Right...The US, Canada, some of Western Europe, ...Australia , NZ....but not many other places. Note that not ALL 'white" societies are included...Catholic countries, for example, are largely immune. Curiously, Scandinavia, which hasn't done anything "mean" to anyone for centuries, seems to suffer from 'white guilt'. Why? Don't know...

This "guilt" (white or whatever) is what "makes" us....for example, argue about the 'rights' of illegals...or the 'atrocities' that "we" (ALL of us, apparently), have committed in the past..or our "responsibility" for fomenting troubles and strife over most of the world..even for "colonialism"...which, ironically, the US didn't even DO, for the most part. The British were certainly 'colonizers', and today suffer much 'white guilt'. Yet the Spanish and French were HUGE colonizers...but seem largely immune from this guilt.

What makes this "white" guilt special, and worth discussing for its seeming bizarre contradictions, is that MOST huge nations have all sorts of atrocities to their credit. Russia, for example, brutally killed uncounted MILLIONS of peasants in its ruthless and bloody history---FAR in excess of anything the US did. China did the same. Japan's human-rights record in WWII was truly abominable. Yet these places have no sense of collective guilt in their societies. Muslim nations, for all their ruthless history, seem totally oblivious to any sense of guilt borne as a society.

Mexico has "screwed" its own poor for so many generations it's simply taken for granted...it's treated as a tired 'joke'.... Yet the US feels "guilty" for the plight of today's Mexican illegals, while Mexico feels none whatsoever. Though fully ten percent of Mexico has now LEFT the country, for the US, the 'common wisdom' is that any mistreatment suffered by these folks is due to "our" unkindness. Mexico gets a 'pass'..in fact, Mexico actually criticizes us quite regularly...for mistreating the people who "it" forced to leave....the hypocrisy is breathtaking. But it works, when one society feels guilt, while the other doers not.

Africa? Whole different story. Blame and guilt are directed at the Euopean colonizers and their 'excesses'...yet no 'guilt' at all seems to be associated with the continuing bloodbath that is 'business as usual' in Darfur, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, etc etc etc., right up to the present day. Lots of atrocities, lots of anger, lots of 'charges' being thrown around....but no 'guilt' at all.

Hope this answers your question. Not so much a "white" phenomena as it is a "secular, protestant-based" one. Why?....I don't know.

By the way' "white guilt" also prevents us from COMPARING ourselves with other, worse, far more brutal places. White guilt says, in esence, that "the tyrants and dictators and violent thugs in THOSE places aren't responsible for their behavior. It's their culture, it's the way they live, and they don't know any better. WE DO, and we're guilty." Thopse nations which experience "white guilt", by the way, are ALSO the same societies bent on adopting "multiculturalism"....as if to say "other cultures are just as good as OURS, and a whole lot morte interesting, as well". MOST of the world, of course, has ZERO interest in multiculturalism. THey figure their culture is the "best" one for them, period....therefore, no self-doubt, no multiculturalism, no 'guilt'.

"White guilt" in my opinion, contains just a HINT of racial superiority..."we" are better than "them", and therefore we should show it, by acting better. Yet at the same time, we're GUILTY, and "they" aren't....because they "can't HELP it"....

BTW..I'm white, but not protestant. My wife's neither white OR protestant. But we both "see" this. Personally, I seem just a touch guiltier than HER, in regards to the damage "I've" done around the world....(??)hmmm
What a stupid and backwards post!! It just simply demonstrates that in regards to understanding issues of racism, whites have little to no understanding whatsoever. This post demonstrates what whites typically do when confronted with issues of race; they redefine the concept--without any supportable evidence--and then dismiss that concept. In other words; white people create a strawman argument.

In order to properly understand "white guilt" it must be contexualized within the socio-historical dynamic of US culture. Only from such a perspective are people able to understand what racism actually is; it's historical roots and its continued present day ramifications. A socio-historical analysis of racism reveals its inherent institutional and structural nature. These are things that would become easily known to anyone who undertakes an investigation into racism in the US.

It is against this backdrop, the institutional and structural nature of racism, that the real endeavor of the concept of "white guilt" is revealed; "white guilt" is nothing more than a conservative invention to dissuade whites from engaging in an honest investigation into the issues of race. Why? Because such analysis reveals the ineptness and inherent corruption of the very structures and institutions that run our country. It is from this--and only from this--standpoint, that the phenomenon of racism actually becomes demystified.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting really tired of the race issue. It isn't an issue with most people, but the press continues to beat it to death and fuel a fire. Stop buying into the hype, people!!!
It's not an issue for white people, but it is for everyone else.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
What a stupid and backwards post!! It just simply demonstrates that in regards to understanding issues of racism, whites have little to no understanding whatsoever. This post demonstrates what whites typically do when confronted with issues of race; they redefine the concept--without any supportable evidence--and then dismiss that concept. In other words; white people create a strawman argument.

In order to properly understand "white guilt" it must be contexualized within the socio-historical dynamic of US culture. Only from such a perspective are people able to understand what racism actually is; it's historical roots and its continued present day ramifications. A socio-historical analysis of racism reveals its inherent institutional and structural nature. These are things that would become easily known to anyone who undertakes an investigation into racism in the US.

It is against this backdrop, the institutional and structural nature of racism, that the real endeavor of the concept of "white guilt" is revealed; "white guilt" is nothing more than a conservative invention to dissuade whites from engaging in an honest investigation into the issues of race. Why? Because such analysis reveals the ineptness and inherent corruption of the very structures and institutions that run our country. It is from this--and only from this--standpoint, that the phenomenon of racism actually becomes demystified.
How do define , or "contextualize", black guilt, Gangsta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies