Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,620 times

Advertisements

When we first moved to Albany--which is 65 to 70% black--some people told us that the churches here were segregated by choice, and that we "wouldn't be welcome" at a black church. Well, our congregation is mostly white, but about 10% black, and I'm told now that it's one of the only such groups in town. And a white family I know recently joined a black church in east Albany (aka, the "rough" side of town) and say they've been overwhelmed by how welcome they are there.

No word yet on what the services are like. These aren't Baptist churches OR AME, so I have no idea if they beat the other denominations to the buffets at lunchtime, or what. WE sure don't. Heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown206 View Post
You obviously didn't read her entire posting.
Every word. It wasn't that long. I could see why the sister-in-law was offended.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:48 PM

564 posts, read 815,380 times
Everyone is missing the point. The fact that black america has to congregate in their "own" church away from white people just goes to show how little progress has been made in Black America. Their are very few "white" churches and the ones that do exist do so because they are in areas with very little black people. You can find all-black churches in areas of high diversity with lots of other races. Racism in this country will never go away because black america doesn't want it to. It's the sad truth.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:54 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Everyone is missing the point. The fact that black america has to congregate in their "own" church away from white people just goes to show how little progress has been made in Black America. Their are very few "white" churches and the ones that do exist do so because they are in areas with very little black people. You can find all-black churches in areas of high diversity with lots of other races. Racism in this country will never go away because black america doesn't want it to. It's the sad truth.

White people are not barred from attending and joining most black churches. Sure there are some that are monoracial by choice, but the same goes for some white churches. I would say the segregation has more to do with worship styles rather than race.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
Most black folks don't want to go to white churches because the music isn't as good and they find the services boring. Most white folks don't want to go to black churches because the services go on for so long that they will miss kick off on the Sunday football game. (Please folks. This is just me trying to be funny so don't take offense.)

Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,961 times
Quote:
Are you serious? White people are more than welcome to go to any church they'd like. Black churches don't hang any "blacks only" sign on their door.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
That does sound kind of offensive. He's referring to some of the people in church as "us" and some as "them".
Are you assuming that the "them" is white people? I'm curious why you would jump to that conclusion.
I would interpret that statement as "us" being the members of the congregation and community, and "them" would refer to the cops or the schools system or the government in general. For example, "we" (community) can't depend on "them" (city school system) to make sure that our kids can read and will be able to graduate from high school, we need to make sure that we take that responsibility ourselves.
Whenever I have heard a statement like that, it's usually in that context.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,620 times
Everybody, please be nice. I wasn't trying to start a negative thread; I was trying to find out something, from what I figured was a pretty good cross-section of America.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM

sorry I didn't mean to bring any negative vibe to your thread, not my intention

Old 06-24-2008, 05:09 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times
ALL BLACK CHURCHES in the inner cities, as well as MOST suburban black churches with all black audiences preach what is commonly refered to as "The Black Experience" which includes everything from politics, racism, economic conditions and other issues which affect Black Americans. To describe such preaching as "Black Liberation" is totally incorrect, and in my opinion an insult to the Black Church and those blacks who preach and tell the truth and realities of everyday life for Blacks in America, particularly those in the inner cities.

Last edited by dorado0359; 06-24-2008 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies