Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Even the democrats voted and promoted the rebates. In fact many are calling for another reabte. The of ourse they are suppoting a massive bailout of those in foreclosure shifting the burben of those bad loans to the tax payers. It has been estimate that 35% will still default. Just crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 PM

994 posts, read 1,544,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've given each of numerous Democratic candidates a scoop of that marvelous green tonic sent by Chimpy. Up yours Bush.

Bush's tax rebate is just another noisy gimmick. After wrecking our economy for 7-8 years (decimated dollar, housing bubble, mortgage mess, rampant speculation in oil markets that are clobbering everyone, a credit meltdown, deficit spending in amounts unheard of, tax cuts during a time of war) and all the rest of the horror he's caused, he comes up with this election-year gimmick as if to say "see, we really do care about you." Hah! Bend over people. This gimmick is designed to do one thing, that being to keep consumer spending at a level sufficient enough to push the coming economic disaster downstream to the next president, who will have to face the full brunt of the worst economic times since the Great Depression, maybe worse.
Yes, that sums it up nicely. It is, of course, a gimmick - designed to and show Bush's 'Compassionate Conservative' side - and the stupid American public goes along with it, as usual. The Dems dare not oppose it for fear of being labled Anti-American. Bush's 'compassion' is as false as his looking out of an airplane window at Katrina's wake, and laughing once the cameras are turned off.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:46 PM

218 posts, read 437,860 times
If I had gotten the 'rebate,' I probably would have spent some of it, and put the rest into the bank (savings).

We were not eligible to get a rebate of any of the tens of thousands of dollars we paid in taxes, because of the so-called phase out.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Yes, that sums it up nicely. It is, of course, a gimmick - designed to and show Bush's 'Compassionate Conservative' side - and the stupid American public goes along with it, as usual. The Dems dare not oppose it for fear of being labled Anti-American. Bush's 'compassion' is as false as his looking out of an airplane window at Katrina's wake, and laughing once the cameras are turned off.
Exactly, that's why it passed with so many votes. If the DEMs had opposed it, they would've been labeled as enemies of the working class, etc, by all the blowhards on the right, starting with Bush, Rove and all the usual suspects. I can assure you, if McCain were NOT running for anything this year, he would have opposed it, but since he's running for prez he's throwing out all sorts of spend spend spend nonsense (gas tax holiday, making chimpy's tax cuts permanent, etc etc). When just about anyone runs for office, there's no end to the tax cuts and rebate crap they dream up, to be paid for with borrowed money that will take America's younger class a lifetime to pay off, assuming we survive as a nation.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:21 PM

218 posts, read 437,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly, that's why it passed with so many votes. If the DEMs had opposed it, they would've been labeled as enemies of the working class, etc, by all the blowhards on the right, starting with Bush, Rove and all the usual suspects. I can assure you, if McCain were NOT running for anything this year, he would have opposed it, but since he's running for prez he's throwing out all sorts of spend spend spend nonsense (gas tax holiday, making chimpy's tax cuts permanent, etc etc). When just about anyone runs for office, there's no end to the tax cuts and rebate crap they dream up, to be paid for with borrowed money that will take America's younger class a lifetime to pay off, assuming we survive as a nation.

With all due respect, I think that you and gorgeet are way, way too solicitous towards the Democrats. They were the majority party, and they pretty much went along with this whole rebate scam because they do not want to be out-pandered by the spendthrift Republicans.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
With all due respect, I think that you and gorgeet are way, way too solicitous towards the Democrats. They were the majority party, and they pretty much went along with this whole rebate scam because they do not want to be out-pandered by the spendthrift Republicans.
They're not solicitous. They just lack perspective.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
That $300 Or $1,200
I got mine today. More than the above though.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
I used mine to buy a bicycle, so now I won't have to give money to the greedy oil companies, mwahahaha!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 AM

994 posts, read 1,544,695 times
I Hope I Get My 'saving Grace' Of A Few Hundred Dollars Before All The Stores Go Bankrupt. Oh Yeah, There's One Store That Will Still Be Standing, Wal-mart (china Inc). Hahaha!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I got mine today. More than the above though.
Mine has been sitting in my bank to help pay for my knee surgery that I am having on Monday, and the physical therapy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies