Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times

Advertisements

Ah, the heck with all of those underachievers. They deserve it.
(I just hope the dengue fever won't hit our neighborhoods.)

Diseases caused by worms and parasites are draining the health and energy of the poorest Americans, an expert said on Tuesday.

And diseases associated with the developing world, such as dengue fever and Chagas disease, may become a bigger problem for the United States as the climate changes, said Dr. Peter Hotez of George Washington University and the Sabin Vaccine Institute in Washington.

Expert says worms and parasites drain U.S. poor - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
"Fall, mountains, just don't fall on me."

Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
That's just what the chronic poor need, more excuses to explain why they aren't able to succeed in life. Geesh.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:38 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
That's just what the chronic poor need, more excuses to explain why they aren't able to succeed in life. Geesh.
Exactly! If they don't do well on a test or perform poorly in a job interview....why now they can just blame it on the parastic worms eating them alive from the inside out.

Scoundrels!!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Ah yes, the poor. They deserve everything they get, those freeloaders.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Well from what I'm getting from a Microbiology class that I recently took, I would be as concerned about the pesky parasites ruining everything. But I would sweat the fact that more and more antibiotics are becoming less and less effective. Basically Microorganisms are adapting and change to our current medication and becoming resistant to them. MRSA and Multi-Resistant TB. are examples of emergent infectious diseases that we are having a tough time treating. And we (the world) are just not keeping pace with the mutations of the microbes. So really in the end the poor (especially city poor that live in close proximity of each other) will probably seeing there life spans reduced in the coming years as more and more microbes become resistant. So I would worry about supporting these people in long run if the rate of bacterial mutations keep at the rate it has for the past couple of years.

P.S. the change in climate (if it does happen) will be a contributing factor to the rise in the diseases, but not the main reason. Not by a long shot.

Last edited by baystater; 06-24-2008 at 10:26 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 04:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
"If they're going to die, then they'd better do it, and decrease the surplus population."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies