Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:45 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

Strikes me that the answer is neither. I tend to vote Democrat more often than republican becuase i tend to agree with them a little more on issues, but I'm not under the illusion that either party represents the middle class. Both parties are heavily influenced by big money, and both parties like to spout off about how they want to help the middle class, especially around election time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
IRA agreed, so the old paradigms don't really apply. Repubs really aren't about fiscal responsibility and free market, and dems really aren't about protecting the downtrodden by making level playing fields. Each has their own way to go about things, but use the common costume/make up drawer as actors.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
hey guys...I don't want to turn this into huge arguement but i'd love to hear your educated thoughts and opinions on it.

Generally and traditionally, the rich are connected to republicans and the poor are connected to democrats. My question is of these two political parties, who does more for the middle class? How so?
First of all your statement is a little bit off. The wealthiest people in the US senate are democrats by far. warren buffet, bill gates george soros, all democrats. A better way to phrase it would be , Republicans generally are supportive of those who are working to become wealthy. Democrats depend on those who are less ambitious! Obviously the Republican platform of lower taxes , less regulation, free enterprise helps the middle class far better than the Democrats platform of of basically the opposite!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
First of all your statement is a little bit off. The wealthiest people in the US senate are democrats by far. warren buffet, bill gates george soros, all democrats. A better way to phrase it would be , Republicans generally are supportive of those who are working to become wealthy. Democrats depend on those who are less ambitious! Obviously the Republican platform of lower taxes , less regulation, free enterprise helps the middle class far better than the Democrats platform of of basically the opposite!
Well, that would be true if they weren't selectively applying laissez fare to enron only, interfering with california's right to impose EV standards, ignoring trade deficit, ignoring natioinal debt, and busting unions. So maybe they haven't been doing right by middle class afterall if everything they've accomplished was through credit cards?

This new breed of republican needs to be ousted from republican party once and for all or you won't have a party much longer.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Well, that would be true if they weren't selectively applying laissez fare to enron only, interfering with california's right to impose EV standards, ignoring trade deficit, ignoring natioinal debt, and busting unions. So maybe they haven't been doing right by middle class afterall if everything they've accomplished was through credit cards?

This new breed of republican needs to be ousted from republican party once and for all or you won't have a party much longer.
I agree with most of what you say except the busting union's, but let's be real, the democrat's havent done jack for the middle class except to raise their cost of living!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I agree with most of what you say except the busting union's, but let's be real, the democrat's havent done jack for the middle class except to raise their cost of living!
To be honest, the only time that dem's have done middle class right in my lifetime is during clinton years offset by repub congress. I was able to not only save $ but get serious offset for taxes through 401k contributions. Interest rates were crummy but at least I didn't get punished for being a saver like bush years tried. My cost of living across the board skyrocketed during bush years.
Historically-
Carter was an honest man who meant well but he wasn't an economist. He was sympathetic but that didn't pay the rent, did it?

Reagan/bush sr did the union busting and they never did recover-it's gotten progressively worse from that moment on, including labor standards. Ceo pay leapfrogged over itself while downsizing paradigm sent american jobs overseas with trend that continued through daddy bush regime. Credit card policies start with neo cons here. Horray for hollywood and free tires for all patriotic 'zealots' loyal to republicans.

Ford- I miss sensible, level headed joe's in politics, may he rest in peace. American really did need to calm its chit down, and he did that alright.

Nixon- price freezes are free market? No, but he saw trouble and dealt with it swiftly, even if he got carried away. Abusing power... I think half the time he meant well but was in dire need of a course in ethics. With friends like his, who needed enemies? Foriegn policy of interfering with other govts via cia blahhhh... I think founders would smack him upside the head and give him a 30yr time out for that one. I also think nixon economic problems were delayed being felt until carter years and carter got blamed for both inaction (free market) and for action (price freeze of gas resulting in shortages).

jfk/rfk- what might have been? sad chapter in american history.

I wasn't alive at the time, but if history is honest, I think Truman and Ike need a come back big time. It might be nostalgia, or it might be that they were genuine civil servants commited to the american way. Sensible joe's 101?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies